December Reading Thread

Winterfella

Yeah, I know. Do you mention it because you feel the rest are worth buying? Same quality as the first 3?

I didn't read Silver Spike, but it looks like it's really not as good as the main sequence (impression based on reviews and opinions here and there).

I've read the 5 first volumes of the main sequence, and I would say the quality is the same. (The only reason I didn't read further yet is that I'm reading translations, and that's where the publication of the series is right now).

Winterfella,

what caused you to pick up Stephanie Meyer and Patricia Briggs?

dont tell me its sffworld... :P

Congragulations on your daughters birth. :)

Thanks, Multi.

I was deliberately sampling the paranormal romance genre. I aspire to have time to write again someday (Now that I have two kids that may be a while), so I like to check out different genres and see what's selling, etc. The Briggs especially at least gave me the confidence to say "Hey, I can write a hell of a lot better than that.", if nothing else. The Meyer turned out to be way girly. It was decently written, but if I had to hear about the hero's staggeringly painful beauty one more time I think I was going to puke. I'm guessing I should have made better choices within that genre.

After those experiences I think I need something completely over my head, like Wolfe or Pynchon to balance things out.

I'm near the end of Hobb's Mad Ship, second book of Liveship Traders trilogy. I have mixed feelings about it; characters are really well written, her worldbuilding is good, but I've nearly quit the series twice (both times on Malta's chapters). Sure, there are great moments, but reading it feels like a chore.

Finished Indigo by Graham Joyce. The book had its moments and the premise was definitely interesting but the ending was shit.

5.5/10

I was deliberately sampling the paranormal romance genre. I aspire to have time to write again someday (Now that I have two kids that may be a while), so I like to check out different genres and see what's selling, etc. The Briggs especially at least gave me the confidence to say "Hey, I can write a hell of a lot better than that.", if nothing else. The Meyer turned out to be way girly. It was decently written, but if I had to hear about the hero's staggeringly painful beauty one more time I think I was going to puke. I'm guessing I should have made better choices within that genre.

to be honest, both books are quite typical of their genre (at least in my experience). Briggs has written some epic fantasy as well but it's even worse then her more paranormal stuff.

Finished up Altered Carbon yesteday. Very good book.

Full review on the blog

Damn Race, I usually instinctively click on all your review links, but I'm on page 302 of Altered Carbon and I don't want any spoilers. So I had to make myself hold back this time.

But yes, it's damn good.

Finally got my greasy mitts on Legends II and read 'The Sworn Sword'. I must admit I was a bit disappointed by it. It felt a bit light in comparison to the Hedge Knight. Perhaps I just wanted more Targaryen interplay and not Ser Eustace Osgrey. Even Egg was curiously not in the story much.

Just started 'The happiest dead boy in the world' by Tad Williams in the same book. Really enjoyed Otherland so a pleasant surprise to find this short story on the series. Glad to meet Beezle again - always enjoyed the little rodent for some reason.

Finished off The Dark Tower series at the weekend. Not feeling terribly short-changed by the ending, but um, there's something not quite right about the whole thing. I tried very hard not to despise the author appearing in the story aspect, but I couldn't manage it. I have a lot of time for King and I thought he knew his limitations but now I'm not so sure.

Finished off The Dark Tower series at the weekend. Not feeling terribly short-changed by the ending, but um, there's something not quite right about the whole thing. I tried very hard not to despise the author appearing in the story aspect, but I couldn't manage it. I have a lot of time for King and I thought he knew his limitations but now I'm not so sure.

Didn't King rewrite the first book in the Dark Tower series? If so I think if there is one book he should go back to rewrite it would be the ending of the last book. I've stayed away from the series just because I've heard about the lame ending.

I wouldn't avoid the whole series because of the supposed 'poor ending'. I don't feel as if the time I spent reading these seven books was wasted time. The sixth book seemed a little bit dragged out and filler-ish but the other six are all better than that.

If you've read a few of King's books and disliked them then you probably won't like the DT series. If you've read none or maybe one of his books I would still say give it a try. There are some things he can do very well as a writer, his protagonist here is a brilliant creation and there are lots of positives throughout the series. It's worth trying the first book to see how you get on with it. :)

just hit the jackpot :D

My friend with the bookshop put aside a load of second hand SF for me . Just got a load for €1 a book . Some of the title include :

Stephen Donaldson collection of short stories called Daughter of Regals , as I have mixed feelings about the Thomas Covenant chronicals , I am looking forward to seeing what I think of this one .

The Stainless Stteel Rat by Harry Harrison - I've read this series but as they belonged to a boyfriend I'm happy to have found my own copy , aeroplane reading :cool:

Arthur C Clarke - The Hammer of God - feel like I'm doing homework with all the oldies I'm reading . I love it .

The Book of Frank Herbert - loving the short story collections .

Hugo winners II - edited by Asimov - bargain at a Euro .

Consider Phlebus Ian M Banks - remember it being mentioned before .

Some random Jack Vance , Phillip Kerr , Sherri Tepper , loads more and last but not least :

An Ace double - y'know the books that read from both ends to the middle , of Philip K Dick's , The Unteleported Man - Find the equation for non-conformity - or else ! and Howard L Corey , The Mind Monsters In this Planetary game was he pawn or prime mover ? Vintage - think it was published in the late 60's for the princely sum of 50 cent . :P

I should add one book to the list of 4 I posted on the first page

The Heike story - by Eiji Yoshikawa (he of Taiko and Musashi fame). I am too early in it to give my impressions of it, but I am a sucker for any story with historical context. This one is about 12th century Japan. I wonder if it is Lancashire-York set in the East? The two clans in question are Heike and Genji.

I just finished Brandon Sanderson's Elantris and I really enjoyed it. I thought Hrathen was the most interesting character, not my favorite, but he had the most depth (even though his chapters were the shortest). Getting into it was a little difficult because of the odd consonant and vowel combinations (hr, fj, svr, ao); usually this doesn't bother me (I had no trouble with The Prince of Nothing by Bakker), but this time it really broke up the flow, but eventually I got used to it. It's standard a medival setting, but didn't feel like standard fantasy. I also enjoyed the pacing, it had a nice build up and great climax.

7.5/10

Now I'm going to finish up The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian. I've been reading it in between books for a while now, and am about a quater of the way through.

Still reading McCullough. This series is daunting -- even for me.

Really? I find them fascinating and the first four I've devoured eagerly at least 4 times each. I do very much enjoy the sixth one...it's the fifth book that I've always found a little rough.

But are you enjoying them at all, Stego? And I gotta ask, based on comments from you before, are you reading them in hardcover? I've only been able to find the first two in first edition hardbacks... :P

Some awesome books there, Mel T. :) Enjoy.

Just read The Hero as Werewolf from the Gene Wolfe collection I got . Blew me away . Just loving those short stories .

Into the Philip K Dick now - I like his sexy smart chaos mind .

Reading the Stainless Steele Rat is pure unadulterated reading hedonism :mellow:

I've been reading James Barclay's Elfsorrow. Honestly, The Unknown Warrior? WTF? The names, the magic, the wizards, the Elfs, it reminds me way too much of what someone would think up in in a Magic: the Gathering campaign. I have read comparisons to Gemmell and Cook but these established writers have a much better style in my opinion. I'm reading this book and i'm just glossing over the pages. I love epic Fantasy but this is just not very good IMO.

Archived