RED DWARF: Seasons 11 and 12

Werthead

Red Dwarf returns with its 11th season on 22 September, airing on Dave (a cable channel) in the UK. Season 12, already filmed, will follow some time in 2017.

I am cautiously optimistic for this. Seasons 7-8 were very middling and 9 was outright terrible, but 10 was a pleasant surprise, a solid return to form. I hope that continues through these two new seasons, although I'd be happier if they'd brought back Rob Grant as writer as well.

I stopped watching after the first few episodes of the replacement Rimmer.  I'm not sure if it was stamina or stubbornness that kept you going these past few years, but was it actually worth it?

As much as I loved it as a teenager in the 90s, the humor stayed the same and got very repetitive even before the initial hiatus (after S6?).

Replacement Rimmer? He's still in it.

Yeah, there was a downturn during Season 6 when they started leaning too much on old ideas and in-jokes. Seasons 7 and 9 were pretty wretched, 8 was a bit better and 10 was pretty good.

Red Dwarf I think is at its best when it has budget restrictions which make them focus on character comedy. The big problem with Seasons 7 and 8 (and 6 to an extent) was that they had a massive budget increase and started going for spectacle over laughs, which was a big mistake.

I might check out S10 then......I was a huge fan through 1-6 (I think I actually owned all official t-shirts at one point), then remember being pretty disappointed with S7. Then it was a haze of no laugh tracks and actual Craig Charles being in it......I never did see that but it sounds terrible.

Yeah, Season 9 (the Back to Earth mini-series) was horrific. 10 was reasonably decent. It brought back the low-budget feel of Seasons 2-4 and had a few good gags. Also less reliance on old material and bringing back old characters. The biggest disappointment was no Holly.

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2016 at 4:17 PM, Werthead said:

Replacement Rimmer? He's still in it.

There was a season where Arnold J Rimmer was replaced in the crew by his female counterpoint from the mirror universe.  It ruined the chemistry completely.  I dropped it after a few eps and never went back.  It felt like it had jumped the shark.

49 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

There was a season where Arnold J Rimmer was replaced in the crew by his female counterpoint from the mirror universe.  It ruined the chemistry completely.  I dropped it after a few eps and never went back.  It felt like it had jumped the shark.

Season 7. Although it was Kochanski from another timeline. And yes, that season was awful. Season 8 was a bit better (both Rimmer and Kochanski were both in it). Season 9 was completely unwatchable, but Season 10 was pretty solid. Not classic, but pretty good.

34 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Season 7. Although it was Kochanski from another timeline. And yes, that season was awful. Season 8 was a bit better (both Rimmer and Kochanski were both in it). Season 9 was completely unwatchable, but Season 10 was pretty solid. Not classic, but pretty good.

Thanks -- yes, it was Kochanski, and Lister was delighted -- but none of that post makes me want to rush out and catch up.  Let's just pretend it ended after S6.

• 1 year later...

Season 12 starts this Thursday. That's come around quite quickly. Red Dwarf and Star Trek on TV at the same time! It's like the early 1990s all over again.

After the above Season 11 turned out to be reasonably entertaining, some solid ideas and a few good laughs. If Season 12 is the same quality that's fine by me.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Season 12 starts this Thursday.

The first episode has already aired on UKTV Play - for some reason they release them online a week in advance of the broadcast. I thought it was pretty solid 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! I AM A FISH! 

• 3 months later...

Archived