Is There Anything On The Show That You Think Is Better Than The Books?

746 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2017 at 6:18 AM, Prof. Cecily said:

The Golden Compass has steampunk elements, but probably isn't not pure steampunk. As I said, your mileage may vary.

Blood oranges? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_orange

Oranges in the Godfather saga?

http://www.destinationhollywood.com/movies/godfather/feature_oranges.shtml

https://thisruthlessworld.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/what-does-this-movie-mean-the-godfathers-oranges/

And sometimes, an orange is just an orange

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/03/15/the-anniversary-you-cant-refuse-40-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-godfather/slide/whats-with-all-the-oranges/

http://www.jgeoff.com/godfather/oranges.html

Ah, another thing I liked better in the series was

Hide contents

the treatment of the pigeon pie King Joffrey hacks open in the Purple Wedding.I thought the shot to the bloodied carcasses of the birds that didn't survive their liberation to be powerful. In the book, Tyrion's musings about his likelihood of being shit upon are amusing, yes. 

Off to read threads on the treatment of  food in the books and the series!

Good stuff.

If you like treatments of food, ASOIAF is definitely the place for you.

GRRM devotes more time to what people are eating or thinking about eating than any other author I've ever read.

HAR!!!

(Having said that, I love his work, of course, and my memory is that he's said a key to good writing is addressing all five senses, so it makes sense that he spends time on "taste")

On 3/22/2017 at 8:36 PM, Cron said:

Good stuff.

If you like treatments of food, ASOIAF is definitely the place for you.

GRRM devotes more time to what people are eating or thinking about eating than any other author I've ever read.

HAR!!!

(Having said that, I love his work, of course, and my memory is that he's said a key to good writing is addressing all five senses, so it makes sense that he spends time on "taste")

Oh, yes. 

I love menus and dishes served in the books.

Lots and lots of healthy salads. Rather unexpected in medieval cookery, but most appealing.

And yes, engaging the five senses makes for great reading!

On 3/24/2017 at 5:50 AM, Prof. Cecily said:

Oh, yes. 

I love menus and dishes served in the books.

Lots and lots of healthy salads. Rather unexpected in medieval cookery, but most appealing.

And yes, engaging the five senses makes for great reading!

Yeah, the only problem is that reading the books makes me hungry.

I don't think I'd eat the lamprey pie, though (which Tyrion seems to love so much)

The lemon cakes would be fine, but I"m more of a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

Give me the trenchers loaded with beef and vegetables, et cetera, or the Hound's great fondness for chicken.

(Man, does the Hound ever LOVE chicken.  That guy has literally killed people for some chicken.)

Too true!

Meat and potatoes?

No potatoes en Westeros, Cron.

Mashed neeps (turnips) with your roasted beef!

Posted (edited)

Okay, overall, books are always more detailed and for that, almost by definition better than their show counterparts.

However, okay whether it may be that you prefer a more or less grey version of a character or you loved the rendering of the character by a certain actor etc I think this is possible.

Although I agree with the posters who have said that Tywin's motivations are much better explained in the books; of course, I have to say I loved Charles interaction with Arya.  Although not in the books to me, Tywin was in character, still determined to win "his war" and ruthless but he shows a certain "soft spot" for a spirited young lady.  Cheese, mayhaps, but Charles as Tywin is hard to describe as cheesy.  He recruits her because he appreciates "brains" and "guts". Hell, despite his hatred for his son, Tyrion, he allows him to be Hand temporarily for that reason.  Yes, it would have been nice in the show to see why Tywin became what he was but shows have less opportunities to delve into characters' souls than books...  IMHO those scenes with Arya gave him a little humanity, but not too much, still responsible for Red Wedding etc, just enough as a show goes...

Another one, Tyrion's looks.  Not claiming I like the nicer Tyrion better, just the looks.  Why?  I know George wants to present to us someone totally unable to be fancied.  Yet, his siblings and immediate family are all good looking.  Dwarfism in his case, if you take it scientifically, is statistically likely to be an spontaneous mutation.  He can be a dwarf and a very good looking Lannister, albeit with short limbs.  The condition George describes is the same Peter Dinklage has but whereas Peter is hot in my humble opinion, Tyrion is supposed to have got all the ugly characteristics of the condition.  Not impossible at all and serves the plot because George wanted him unattractive.  Yet, when he got together with D&D considering the show, George specifically asked for Dinklage and they did not audition anyone else...Beauty and the Beast or whatever I think Dinklage, although hey a little Hollywood good looking, is more realistic for the character because at the time the fact that he is a dwarf would have been enough to turn off the ladies, and their fathers when considering marriages.  Granted if he gets true love, ever, depite how George describe it (and not about to argue with George lol) for he is his creation) it gets more poignant.  Still, his siblings are Jaime and Cersei, his mother Joanna, his father Tywin; for all their faults they are all good looking.  Genetically someone like Peter makes more sense to me.

Overall, although I hated some of the plots in the show that weren't in the books, I find the casting very, very good (hey my opinion).

As for omissions, glad Aegon never made it but hey we all love and dislike characters lol and no right and wrong with it.  I wish they had not done the Jeyne Poole/Sansa substitution.  Most people I know hate the Dorne plot, I am pretty ambivalent about it to be honest, nice palaces, can live with it. Overall I hated most things Essos, personal preference, in both books and show.

Now, Shae, who George liked better in the show.  It's complex.  In the show she cares for Tyrion and Sansa and becomes a woman scorned.  In the books she cares for her silks and gold and nothing more.  Not sure on that one.  People accuse the show of "whitewashing" Tyrion.  On this instance I think the books gave him more of a reason for a "murder passionale"

Overall, I don't like all the plots in the show or the books, love some better than others but hey there is so much material in both that if disagreement didn't happen the books/show would not be that great lol

Edited by Morgana Lannister

The castong makes the difference in so many ways. I much prefer Show Tywin because of Charles Dance for example. The same for Iain Glen as Jorah. Also, Show Alliser is a far more interesting character.

In terms of storyline, cutting most of Tyrion's ADWD storyline and removing Aegon altogether were for me excellent moves, as was changing wherw Brienne went after leaving KL. Those bits of the books were some of the worst for me. In fact, taking out most of the aimless wandering helped make the story more streamlined.