Is There Anything On The Show That You Think Is Better Than The Books?

1,068 posts in this topic

Two different medias, but for me basically any text is broader and my brain's special effects better than visual rendition of it by Hollywood (plus due to Martin's logorrhea - a kingdom for a competent and tough editor - the show has been forced to give up any attempt to sense as regards the plot).

But for one vital matter: GOT at least will have an end. And that's bit hard to beat.

On 7/24/2017 at 4:46 AM, Feologild said:

I can`t think of anything. But i am far behind with the books. and i doubt that i will start reading more of the books before he finish the series if he does that.

Well, then, i suppose that the good news for all of us is that the work on the show spin-off(s) seems to be proceeding nicely.

Hopefully we'll get at least 2 spin-offs, maybe more if they continue to do more right than wrong (which I do believe they do)

On 7/25/2017 at 9:19 AM, hwyl said:

Two different medias, but for me basically any text is broader and my brain's special effects better than visual rendition of it by Hollywood (plus due to Martin's logorrhea - a kingdom for a competent and tough editor - the show has been forced to give up any attempt to sense as regards the plot).

But for one vital matter: GOT at least will have an end. And that's bit hard to beat.

Yes, the show will have an ending, and relatively soon (maybe a year and a half from now) and that's good, but who knows, maybe A Dream of Spring will eventually be published, although I HIGHLY doubt that if it is published GRRM will have done it all by himself.

Sometimes epic stories are finished with a co-author (Wheel of Time is an excellent example; Robert Jordan died before it was done, but before he died he told his wife and co-author the ending, and the co-author finished it; the series was 14 books total).  I could see GRRM putting together an outline with a co-author, and then the co-author finishes it, and it gets printed.  They'd make a lot of money of that, so I think there's a decent chance it will happen eventually.  "Eventually" being the key word.

On 7/25/2017 at 5:47 AM, John Doe said:

Bronn, Maegaery, Sandor

Also the exchange between Tywin and Arya at Harrenhal. 

Yeah, Bronn's a great example of something in the show better than the books.  The actor really brought that character to life, and I really like his expanded role int he show.

I was pretty surprised Margaery got crossed off so early.  I thought she'd make it to the end, as the last standing Tyrell, but...nope.  What a shame.  What a waste.

Sandor, to me, is about equal in books and show (a great character), but yeah, I think nearly everyone loved the Tywin and Arya scenes.  I think that stuff was really inspired in the show.

On 3.8.2017 at 8:50 AM, Cron said:

Yeah, Bronn's a great example of something in the show better than the books.  The actor really brought that character to life, and I really like his expanded role int he show.

I was pretty surprised Margaery got crossed off so early.  I thought she'd make it to the end, as the last standing Tyrell, but...nope.  What a shame.  What a waste.

Sandor, to me, is about equal in books and show (a great character), but yeah, I think nearly everyone loved the Tywin and Arya scenes.  I think that stuff was really inspired in the show.

I hate how they killed Marg off, but I found her character more interesting than in the books. Which is fine, because she had less time devoted to her in the books, but still.

On 8/7/2017 at 4:55 PM, John Doe said:

I hate how they killed Marg off, but I found her character more interesting than in the books. Which is fine, because she had less time devoted to her in the books, but still.

I'm just really surprised they are eliminating an entire Great House.  Now Olenna is gone, too!!! Who is going to rule in Highgarden after all the smoke clear and the dust settles from the current conflicts???

I might have guessed Bronn, but I think Bronn and Tyene will end up happily every after ruling Dorne.

And i believe Gendry and Arya will be ruling Storm's End.

So, who does that leave???  Missandei and Grey Worm??

Posted (edited)

I might get some flak for this, but Robb marrying for love is one of the better changes. To me Robb just looks like a dumb idiot in the books for marrying someone to "protect their honor". There's being honorable and compassionate, and then there is being a total fool. Maybe that was the point, but it seemed to me show-Robb breaking his vow to Lord Frey because he fell in love, while also foolish, was at least relatable, and befits how young he is, thinking with his cock instead of his mind. It's a typical rookie mistake in this world. But in the books, even though he isn't really obligated to, he just marries this noblewoman he banged because "muh honor". I also think it can provide a good contrast when compared to the choices his brother, Jon makes around that same point. When it came between love and duty, Robb chose love and died for it, Jon chose duty and lived another day.

Edited by The King Of Cooked Steak

6 hours ago, The King Of Cooked Steak said:

I might get some flak for this, but Robb marrying for love is one of the better changes. To me Robb just looks like a dumb idiot in the books for marrying someone to "protect their honor". There's being honorable and compassionate, and then there is being a total fool. Maybe that was the point, but it seemed to me show-Robb breaking his vow to Lord Frey because he fell in love, while also foolish, was at least relatable, and befits how young he is, thinking with his cock instead of his mind. It's a typical rookie mistake in this world. But in the books, even though he isn't really obligated to, he just marries this noblewoman he banged because "muh honor". I also think it can provide a good contrast when compared to the choices his brother, Jon makes around that same point. When it came between love and duty, Robb chose love and died for it, Jon chose duty and lived another day.

The fact that she was with his child is the key factor here I think. The great stain on his father's honor was always the bastard he had brought from the south, and Robb quite likely saw with his best friend Jon how much a bastard could suffer, which might have been something he did not want for his son. In a way it's poetic, showing the son stepping up to not share his father's flaw. Then again, he didn't overcome his father's weakness of not being at all able to play the game in the process, making it useless in the grand scheme of things. Still, I kinda like it for Robb's arc. 

But maybe I'm reaching here. I've been awake for hours watching youtube channels interpret popular movies, so I might be overanalyzing right now.