No friendships between women in the show?

Future Null Infinity

Among the best friendships in the show it was : Ned/Robert, Tyrion/Bronn, Jamie/Bronn, Tyrion/Jorah........

the closest thing between two women that we can call friendship was Sansa/Margaery but it was so short-lived relationship

Is there any true friendship between two women in the books? I find the lack of long time friendships between women in the show a little bit strange

Sansa had a best friend Jayne Poole, but they were separated after Ned's downfall. I think Dany and Missandei have a kind of friendship, but Dany is still a queen.

But even men's friendships in GOT aren't really convincing. Bronn leaves Tyrion when he needed him badly, because he was promised lordship and a castle. Tyrion and Jorah definitely support each other, but it doesn't look like real friendship to me.

18 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Is there any true friendship between two women in the books? I find the lack of long time friendships between women in the show a little bit strange

Among the major characters, no, not really.  The only semi-prominent one is Catelyn and Brienne, but that obviously didn't last very long, since Brienne went off on her mission and is thought of mostly in terms of her interactions with Jaime.

Sansa had a best friend in AGOT, but she was a super-minor character.

With Dany, you have Missandei, but she's a child in the books, and Missandei is a minor character.

I made a thread on here a few weeks with the same question but even argued there are no real friendships on the show period..... they are all work place friendships or bought friendships.

Even the men you mentioned are all tied together by either an oath or bought and paid for friendship....

Rob/Ned is the closest to a real friendship shown on the show but even then it was formed while squiring(work) continued while fighting together in the war(work) but the moment it had all came to an end both went there separate ways and had no face to face contact until rob needed ned to step up into a new job(work).

the other ones mentioned are either boss/worker that get along or something along those lines.

Even look at the youngsters not one has a real friend.... they hang out with maesters or other adults more than kids their own age and the kids they do spend time with do it because they are there lords/ladies and not because they actually want too.... see the butchers son.

1 hour ago, House_Of_Fraser said:

Even look at the youngsters not one has a real friend.... they hang out with maesters or other adults more than kids their own age and the kids they do spend time with do it because they are there lords/ladies and not because they actually want too.... see the butchers son.

I see your point and there are good points, thank you

23 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

the closest thing between two women that we can call friendship was Sansa/Margaery but it was so short-lived relationship

A question about this 'friendship' do you feel it actually was mutual? There is no doubt Sansa saw Margaery as a friend. But did Margaery simply see her as a pawn? In the show at least at the same Margaery was trying to secure the North for the Tyrells by marrying Sansa off to Loras.

I do think Margaery did care about Sansa and her welfare but ultimately did see her as a pawn to strengthen her families position. Sansa marrying Loras would have given her a stable and safe life in Highgarden for sure though.

18 minutes ago, Lord Oaf of Highgarden said:

A question about this 'friendship' do you feel it actually was mutual? There is no doubt Sansa saw Margaery as a friend. But did Margaery simply see her as a pawn? In the show at least at the same Margaery was trying to secure the North for the Tyrells by marrying Sansa off to Loras.

I don't know about the books but in the show (personal opinion)yes I think it was mutual, it was a genuine friendship between them wrapped with some interests : Sansa stated two times (to Marg and Loras) that she wants to leave KL and escape the torture of the lannisters and Marg wants to help her but with a price so Sansa marrying Loras was a win-win situation

10 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Sansa had a best friend Jayne Poole, but they were separated after Ned's downfall. I think Dany and Missandei have a kind of friendship, but Dany is still a queen.

But even men's friendships in GOT aren't really convincing. Bronn leaves Tyrion when he needed him badly, because he was promised lordship and a castle. Tyrion and Jorah definitely support each other, but it doesn't look like real friendship to me.

Well to be fair to Bronn he did give Tyrion a chance to "double the price" that Cersei was giving him, and Tyrion knew who Bronn was from the beginning, they understood one another. Bronn never gave Tyrion the idea that he was completely loyal to him, he always told him he is protecting him because he is paying him, but he never said he only likes him because he is paying him. (Though the scene in Episode 3x01 where Bronn is ready to fight Meryn Trant and the other KG while Cersei is talking to Tyrion in his new chambers was not a moment that was in Bronn's best interest so that could be seen as a moment where Bronn is actually ready to put himself out there and help Tyrion by fighting KG which is a pretty stupid thing to do. Though many argue this is just the writers just liking Bronn so much they just wanted to add in another cool scene where he is grabbing his knife ready to pounce). They even have a scene in Blackwater where they confirm that the two see one another as friends. I believe Tyrion and Bronn is one of the only convincing and real friendships in the show to me, Bronn does seem pretty sad actually when he leaves Tyrion in the cell, he wants to help Tyrion but doing so would mean his death and like he says "I like you, I just like myself more". Jon and Sam/Tormund/Edd are pretty convincing ones as well.

Plus I see Dany and Melisandre as a friendship as well, they never say they are friends but I think they consider one another friends.

I think you will see a number before the show is done. 

Brienne and Sansa/Arya

Dany and Missandei (already formed but I think it will continue to grow)

Also I don't think Maergery and Sansa was mutual even in the show. M was intelligent and manipulative, and clearly wanted power for herself and her house. Oh and sexy as f... I miss her... :crying:

There is a potential for Daeny and Yara friendship. Both strong women, wants to be Queen or at least for Yara on Iron Islands. Dany and Missandei could be friendship but there is a thing of being a Queen but maybe Sansand Margaery but maybe more of manipulative move from her to solidify her claim or position.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Most of the female friendship partners ended up on the chopping block. Jeyne, Taena, Myranda, Arianne just to name a few. Couple this with the lower percentage of meaningful female characters as a whole and this is really no surprise.

My idea is that was inherited from the realism of the setup of the story, in the medieval times, women between their houses and their children didn't have much time for relations, can it be?

We have six main characters three of them are females and I always counted Melisandre and Cersei the equivalent of one hundred male characters in the story

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Most of the female friendship partners ended up on the chopping block. Jeyne, Taena, Myranda, Arianne just to name a few.

Jeyne was certainly cut, but she was such a minor character that it wasn't dramatically significant.  Taena was not actually Cersei's friend, so that wouldn't have counted even if it was in.  It remains to be seen whether Myranda is actual friendship material or just Margaery 2.0.

1 hour ago, Future Null Infinity said:

My idea is that was inherited from the realism of the setup of the story, in the medieval times, women between their houses and their children didn't have much time for relations, can it be?

No, it's not "realistic".  If anything, as commentators of the series have noted, GRRM's books, particularly in the early ones, jhave seriously underemphasized the female world of court life.

It's an interesting point to think about, especially since many of the female friendships mentioned here are steeped in power dynamics: Margaery and Sansa, Dany and Missandei, Catelyn and Brienne, for example.

It's also important to consider the sociohistorial context of the time, where a woman's role and function was primarily as a childbearer and homemaker, and her identity was largely in relation to that of her husband's.

Archived