A Dance of the Dire Wolves

Moiraine Sedai

I really want to see a "dance of the direwolves" in the story.  Stark vs. Stark fight to the death.  I would love to have Jon vs. Sansa, but Sansa's wolf is dead.  The next best thing is a fight between Bran and Arya and then Summer and Nymeria.  Jon vs. Bran and their dogs would also be entertaining.  They fight for control of Winterfell.

Me too.  Sansa is not at all formidable in the books.  While Jon is not exactly smart, Sansa is still not much competition for Jon and his dog.  Especially since Lady is gone. 

Here is a good matchup, in my opinion.  Jon and Ghost vs. Arya and Nymeria. 

12 minutes ago, Holley 4 Barrel said:

Here is a good matchup, in my opinion.  Jon and Ghost vs. Arya and Nymeria.

They would be my pick as well.  Rickon and his wolf can be thrown in the mix.  Bran and Sansa are not really fighters.  Any fight with Sansa would be political rather than martial.  Bran is a cripple but I suppose he can warg Hodor to beat Jon to a pulp if he needs to. 

11 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

A fight between Bran, paralyzed from the waist down, and Arya, the trained assassin? Wow, how sporting that would be. 

Well I don't believe that it will ever happen but Bran would had been able to warg her. However I don't see how and why a Stark will fight one of his siblings but I can bet that we will never have a clear answer other that "it would look good or it would be interesting" and things like that.

Man, I don't know about you guys, but seeing Starks turn on Starks would be heart rending. I don't really consider myself a massive Stark fan even.

I don't think any of them are ambitious enough for it to turn into a civil war and I don't see why they would unless one was to join the Others (which I doubt). 

21 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

For what reason? The Starks seemed to be the only family that love and care about each other. I cannot see why they would be able to fight for anything. However give me one good reason that will makes the siblings to fight.

A loving family torn apart is probably not enough for some... and all that love between siblings may be too  much for the same readers to bear. Also, if you revel in reading about hatred and violence, what better plot could you imagine?

On August 14, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

I really want to see a "dance of the direwolves" in the story.  Stark vs. Stark fight to the death.  I would love to have Jon vs. Sansa, but Sansa's wolf is dead.  The next best thing is a fight between Bran and Arya and then Summer and Nymeria.  Jon vs. Bran and their dogs would also be entertaining.  They fight for control of Winterfell.

You're joking right?  This is satire and you're just writing this out of boredom right?  This is all a pseudo-clever troll.

Why do you want this to happen?  I ask because I feel like I'm not reading the same books you are. 

On 18/8/2016 at 0:39 PM, Lurid Jester said:

Why do you want this to happen?  I

I bet that you will never have an aswer. They never answer the questions because they know that they cannot support their opinion or *theory*.

On 16/8/2016 at 10:34 AM, Julia H. said:

A loving family torn apart is probably not enough for some... and all that love between siblings may be too  much for the same readers to bear. Also, if you revel in reading about hatred and violence, what better plot could you imagine?

Or the way I see it people trying to prove that the Starks are like Lannisters and that Jon is a worst human being that Ramsey and Gregor.

On 8/16/2016 at 5:37 AM, Knight Of Winter said:

This would go completely against all of Stark children's personalities established in the five books. I can't imagine anyone of them going to war against any other. So no, all of these Jon vs Sansa, Arya vs Bran, Arya vs Jon theories are not going to happen

I agree with your sentiment.  I do think this could potentially be a point of tension, however.  Let's play the what-if game - I'm not saying all these things WILL happen, just that they COULD happen, and are even LIKELY to happen, individually, and could lead to Starks on opposing sides:

• Jon is resurrected; relieved of his indentures to the Night's Watch, and moves south to reclaim Winterfell.  He is backed by the Wildlings.
  • Sansa's identity is ultimately revealed in the Vale, and the Knights of the Vale, loyal to Lysa's niece, Sweetrobin's cousin, and Harry's fiance, move to retake Winterfell for Sansa
  • .Davos returns to White Harbor with Rickon.  The Manderlys, Glovers, and whoever else is in on the anti-Bolton conspiracy back Rickon.
  • Stannis loses the Battle of Winterfell
  • The Northern Lords, Wildlings, and Knights of the Vale converge on Winterfell to return it to the Starks.  

If these things happen, you'll have 3 armies fighting the Boltons to reclaim Winterfell for the Starks.  Trouble is, each army will be backing a different Stark.  The situation would be ripe for Northern civil war or fratricide.  Personally, I think all of the above events will come to pass.  My hope and expectation, though, is that the moral character of Jon and Sansa will prevent any violence.

18 hours ago, Knight Of Winter said:

Ok, these circumstances could theoretically happen, but in that case I can't imagine neither Jon nor Sansa willingly waging war against the other one. Nor against Rickon.

I agree.  The question becomes, though, how much control would they have over their armies in that situation?

22 hours ago, estermonty python said:

I'm not saying all these things WILL happen, just that they COULD happen, and are even LIKELY to happen, individually, and could lead to Starks on opposing sides:

• Jon is resurrected; relieved of his indentures to the Night's Watch, and moves south to reclaim Winterfell.  He is backed by the Wildlings.
  • Sansa's identity is ultimately revealed in the Vale, and the Knights of the Vale, loyal to Lysa's niece, Sweetrobin's cousin, and Harry's fiance, move to retake Winterfell for Sansa
  • .Davos returns to White Harbor with Rickon.  The Manderlys, Glovers, and whoever else is in on the anti-Bolton conspiracy back Rickon.
  • Stannis loses the Battle of Winterfell
  • The Northern Lords, Wildlings, and Knights of the Vale converge on Winterfell to return it to the Starks.  

If these things happen, you'll have 3 armies fighting the Boltons to reclaim Winterfell for the Starks.  Trouble is, each army will be backing a different Stark.  The situation would be ripe for Northern civil war or fratricide.  Personally, I think all of the above events will come to pass.  My hope and expectation, though, is that the moral character of Jon and Sansa will prevent any violence.

Not at all, they could and probably would simply team up. 

Given that all the Stark kids spend huge portions of their POVs mourning the supposed deaths of each other and wishing they could be re-united, it would be bizarre if their immediate reaction when meeting again for the first time would be to throw down over who gets to be Lord/Lady of Winterfell. 

13 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Given that all the Stark kids spend huge portions of their POVs mourning the supposed deaths of each other and wishing they could be re-united, it would be bizarre if their immediate reaction when meeting again for the first time would be to throw down over who gets to be Lord/Lady of Winterfell. 

Exactly. The Starks are the only family that actually love each other why they will fight?

6 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Not at all, they could and probably would simply team up. 

I agree and I'm not talking about overthrowing the Boltons, I'm talking about what happens once they've successfully teamed up and taken back Winterfell.  What then?  As we know, GRRM loves the "what's next" question just as much as big set piece battles themselves.

6 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I agree that would not be their reaction.  But it could be the reaction of the various factions; i.e., Littlefinger, Bronze Yohn, Wyman Manderly, Tormund, "House Thenn," etc.  

Given that a Stark on Stark battle has been foreshadowed since book one I feel sure we will get such a battle.

Obviously the two leading protagonists are John Snow versus Catelyn, but each would then have "puppets."   I see Catelyn pulling Sansa's strings, allied with Littlefinger and the forces of the Vale and Riverlands.  Those on Jon's side are less clear but probably Rickon, although he might act as an independent third party.

To an extent Cat and Sansa represent the "South" and Jon the North.

Remember that there are 6 possible Stark claimants to Winterfell each with different political supporters.

1.  Possibly a child of Robb's who would be the official heir if he exists. House Lannister or houses of the Westerlands would support this candidate.  The Northern Lords would NOT support this, nor would the "gods"

2. Sansa - the "official" heir but attainted. She will have the Vale, probably the Riverlands and Stoneheart on her side. Tyrion too which probably means Dany.   An Aegon/Sansa marriage would be a rational move but that would bring Sansa and Aegon in direct conflict with Dany.

3. The next "official" candidate assuming Sansa is attainted is Arya.  On her side the Boltons and some of the North. Of course we know that it is fake Arya but ambitious parties will not care a jot for that.

4. Bran if he returns. Now assuming there is no child of Robb's Bran is the legitimate heir, but he has several problems. He is believed dead, is paralysed and is becoming a tree.  However I think the hill tribes will support him.

5. The obvious candidate for Northern Lords such as the Manaderlys. He is a Stark, he is fierce, he is able bodied.

6. Jon who has a letter of legitimacy and succession from Robb

So it is not a question of if there will be stark on Stark battles, just which Starks on each side and how many separate battles.

Archived