Late Night Comedy

Dr. Pepper

I've been wanting to start a thread about Samantha Bee's Full Frontal (AMAZING!), and also about John Oliver's Last Week Tonight.  Sometimes I want to talk about Trevor Noah on The Daily Show or squee with others about some of the really cool carpool karaokes James Corden has pulled off.   I figured this forum could use a late night comedy thread (or an updated one if there was one already in the past).

Right now, the big news in late night comedy is that Larry Wilmore's The Nightly Show has been canceled.  His show replaced The Colbert Report when Stephen Colbert took over on for David Letterman.  I never could get into Larry Wilmore's style of comedy and I didn't really care for the format of his show.  I did like that the cast was very diverse and I hope whatever replaces this show continues with that tradition.  

***This thread is about anything late night comedy related***

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I've been wanting to start a thread about Samantha Bee's Full Frontal (AMAZING!), and also about John Oliver's Last Week Tonight.  Sometimes I want to talk about Trevor Noah on The Daily Show or squee with others about some of the really cool carpool karaokes James Corden has pulled off.   I figured this forum could use a late night comedy thread (or an updated one if there was one already in the past).

Right now, the big news in late night comedy is that Larry Wilmore's The Nightly Show has been canceled.  His show replaced The Colbert Report when Stephen Colbert took over on for David Letterman.  I never could get into Larry Wilmore's style of comedy and I didn't really care for the format of his show.  I did like that the cast was very diverse and I hope whatever replaces this show continues with that tradition.  

***This thread is about anything late night comedy related***

I keep forgetting to tune in to Bee's show. In all honesty, she was not among my favorite correspondents on the Daily Show, so initially I didn't care that she had her own show. But I hear she's been killing it with the election coverage, so I want to give it a shot.

I love the Last Week Tonight. Whenever I do have HBO, usually GOT season, I watch it. I'm currently not subscribed to HBO, so I watch only the segments they put on their youtube channel - yes, I'm part of the problem, as he so eloquently put it in a recent segment (well partially, I don't mooch free Starbucks wifi, I use my own:P)

I gave Willmore a shot, but was disappointed that too much of the show was focused on one area of topics. I was fine with his segments about black issues on the Daily Show, but a whole show pretty much devoted to that is not for me. Plus, I generally have little patience for panel style discussions, so the format was not appealing either.

I also quit watching the Daily Show because Trevor Noah is just not as funny as Jon Stewart. I find it annoying whenever he laughs at his own jokes before anyone can even process what he said.

I only occasionally watch the cable network late night shows. I sometimes tune in to either Fallon or Colbert for the opening monologue (I used to do that with Leno, too) but seldom go past that in any show. I will, however, watch youtube segments of various stuff. I have enjoyed Colbert's "Hungry for Power Games". Too bad he is having ratings issues. I think he is in the same league as Stewart on comedy. 

James Corden's carpool karaoke is often funny, but I don't always watch them (again youtube). And Conan puts funny stuff on youtube, too. His driving segments with Ice Cube and Kevin Hart were hilarious.

Craig Ferguson used to be my favorite at one time, mainly because of his random songs and puppetry intros. I tried watching his new show about history on the History Channel, but I just couldn't get into it. It's good that at least one of his guests is an expert, but I don't wish to watch someone who thinks they know history talk about history. We've got politicians for that. 

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time I've watched an episode of Samantha Bee's Full Frontal - the new one that was on air last night. It was very enjoyable, and out of everything I've seen in the last year or so, it seems the closest to Jon Stewart's style on the Daily Show. 

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

For the first time I've watched an episode of Samantha Bee's Full Frontal - the new one that was on air last night. It was very enjoyable, and out of everything I've seen in the last year or so, it seems the closest to Jon Stewart's style on the Daily Show. 

Her slam of Matt Lauer last night was gold.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/samantha-bee-matt-lauer_us_57d7d989e4b0fbd4b7bb5556

Samantha Bee is the best thing going in political satire shows right now. John Oliver is good, but formulaic, and Trevor Noah is watchable but unfortunately even more formulaic.

Larry Wilmore was painfully unfunny and with few exceptions his panels were terrible. Give Mike Yard his own show and get rid of everyone else.

• 4 months later...

Archived