Stark name will cease to exist - Spoilers

Maybe someone can clarify this but with Jon a bastard (Assuming he doesn't get legitimized as a Stark and stays a Snow or even takes the Targaryen name), Benjen & Rickon recently confirmed dead, & Bran incapable to producing children..what happens to the Stark Name??

If Sansa is to be the Lady of Winterfell and maybe marries Robyn Arryn, is Winterfell ruled by Arryns?

i just think it would be sad to see such an old house name perish that easily but i can see any alternative unless Sansa / Arya can marry and their husbands take the Stark name??

Jon has the Stark blood, so he can continue the Stark lineage despite not being the legitimate heir.

The same can be said for Arya and Sansa. They can marry and have children, however they won't take on the Stark name.

If anything when it comes to which great house get to live at the end, the Stark may be the one who won't get to perish unlike the rest due to the "wolf pack survive" and so many shits they endured.

Well, there is the Bael the Bard story in which  the daughter of Winterfell gives  birth  to a  child (I think a bastard??) and then that child carries the Stark name. I don't know how the child ends up with the Stark name. Maybe because it is a bastard of the lord's daughter, or maybe because they just decided the child was the only male heir and had to have the Stark name? I think Arya or Sansa can give their child the Stark name more so than Jon. Jon never had the Stark name while the girls did. How can he give something he never had????

I guess if a man were prepared to give up his name for his children and name them Stark instead of his own. To most men this would be a slight. It wouldn't be an issue if the child was a bastard or the child of a bastard.

@Adam_Up_Bxtch

yes, this.

The children of Arya and Sansa would be Starks.  Look at the Mormonts as the clearest example. 

Lady Lyanna Mormont is a Mormont. She inherited her name from her mother, not from whomever her father was (who we can be quite sure wasn't a Mormont - these aren't Targaryens after all).  This comes up a lot in the conversation about the Tyrion / Sansa marraige.  Their first child, if male would he heir to Winterfell and would be called Stark.  Sansa and Tyrion would rule on his behalf until he came of age.  Possibly other children might take the Lannister name.  

It's also quite likely I think that Jon and/or any children he has would be called "Stark" in the North - even if he only inherited that name from his own Mother.  The same blood runs through his veins.

I always saw that as part of the general theme of no one is special and everybody is equal in the story so house Stark is not special compared to the other houses, if Baratheon, Lannisters, Tyrrels, Boltons and Martells perished so must the starks

As the other posters said, the stark name can continue with the Arya and Sansa unless the theory of the dark sisters became a reality (the girls are opposite in personality but similar in the story, if one of them go to the dark side the other will follow) then there is a big chance that the Stark name will cease to exist

I think its safe to say that any children arya and sansa have will be starks... Unless the men they marry have a more powerful house than stark it would be in best interests of both to take the girls stark name.

You saw just how highly regarded the starks are in yhe north... Even if another house were to take the north... The northerm houses will always rally together to put the starks back on top.

And bran cant have kids? I dont remember seeing that on the show?

As far as I can tell the Stark name is finished. The North is not bear island and we've yet to see any kind of legitimate matrilineal marriage. If Sansa or Arya have children, they will have the names of their father, not the mother. Rickon is dead, Jon is a Targaryen (and will have to keep that name if he wants to be king at any point) Bran cannot have chiildren and Sansa and Arya are girls. RIP House Stark.

Bran is alive and will supplant Jon, amicably if/when he arrives to take his rightful seat and bears whitness to Jon and the others who Jon really is. I think the show divereted from the Books with Rickon's death and I think the Stark name will more likely endure in the Books as it is uncertain if Bran will be able to sire children. As far as Sansa goes, there have been some spoilers hinted at by Sophie Turner that seemed a giveaway for Season 7.

When asked what Sansa would do, she said will she team with LF and be a seductress and manipulator or team up with Jon but that Jon never really was a Stark, he was always a Targaryen. It kinda gave a vibe that the "ickiness" of her and Jon "possible uniting" would not be so icky as they are not sibblings or half sibblings afterall. She then said that she better stop so that she does not give anything away as she claimed that she and the other major characters have received Season 7 scripts already.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5i9SBm9DOAhVDYyYKHQzBDY0QqQIIIjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2016%2Ftv%2Fnews%2Fgame-of-thrones-season-7-sophie-turner-sansa-stark-fate-1201839524%2F&usg=AFQjCNEG3zLEuSWrIloFwe9hrC6L4xlzJA

1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Bran is alive and will supplant Jon, amicably if/when he arrives to take his rightful seat and bears whitness to Jon and the others who Jon really is. I think the show divereted from the Books with Rickon's death and I think the Stark name will more likely endure in the Books as it is uncertain if Bran will be able to sire children. As far as Sansa goes, there have been some spoilers hinted at by Sophie Turner that seemed a giveaway for Season 7.

Hide contents

When asked what Sansa would do, she said will she team with LF and be a seductress and manipulator or team up with Jon but that Jon never really was a Stark, he was always a Targaryen. It kinda gave a vibe that the "ickiness" of her and Jon "possible uniting" would not be so icky as they are not sibblings or half sibblings afterall. She then said that she better stop so that she does not give anything away as she claimed that she and the other major characters have received Season 7 scripts already.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5i9SBm9DOAhVDYyYKHQzBDY0QqQIIIjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvariety.com%2F2016%2Ftv%2Fnews%2Fgame-of-thrones-season-7-sophie-turner-sansa-stark-fate-1201839524%2F&usg=AFQjCNEG3zLEuSWrIloFwe9hrC6L4xlzJA

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who picked up a different tone from Sophie since Comic Con.

7 hours ago, TheCasualObserver said:

As far as I can tell the Stark name is finished. The North is not bear island and we've yet to see any kind of legitimate matrilineal marriage. If Sansa or Arya have children, they will have the names of their father, not the mother. Rickon is dead, Jon is a Targaryen (and will have to keep that name if he wants to be king at any point) Bran cannot have chiildren and Sansa and Arya are girls. RIP House Stark.

"The North is not Bear Island"

Um, IDK if you know this....but Bear Island is a part of the North, so if House Mormont/Bear Island can perform a Martilineal marriage, I'm pretty damn sure their liege lords, which is the the Starks, can perform them as well. As well as the rest of Westeros. They just aren't as common because until as of late there haven't been this many important men dropping like flies leaving their widows and daughters to take over.

Jon doesn't even have to take the name Targaryen, as he is also half Stark and could easily just keep that last name, especially since he's a King now so he can kind of do whatever he wants.

2 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

"The North is not Bear Island"

Um, IDK if you know this....but Bear Island is a part of the North, so if House Mormont/Bear Island can perform a Martilineal marriage, I'm pretty damn sure their liege lords, which is the the Starks, can perform them as well. As well as the rest of Westeros. They just aren't as common because until as of late there haven't been this many important men dropping like flies leaving their widows and daughters to take over.

Jon doesn't even have to take the name Targaryen, as he is also half Stark and could easily just keep that last name, especially since he's a King now so he can kind of do whatever he wants.

My point was that nobody in the grand scheme of things cares about Bear Island. It's got to a point where the Mormont women can be entirely elusive about who the fathers of their children are and still inherit, because as a distant and poor island off the mainland coast it doesn't have significance.

It's important to note that Westeros is a fiercely patriarchal society where women are second class citizens. This is cruel, sexist and unfair I freely admit, but our only evidence of a son taking the family name of his mother comes from a quiet backwater and a story told to Jon by a woman who wants to get in his pants. We might wish it were otherwise, but legally speaking the Stark name will become extinct when this generation dies of old age. 

2 hours ago, TheCasualObserver said:

My point was that nobody in the grand scheme of things cares about Bear Island. It's got to a point where the Mormont women can be entirely elusive about who the fathers of their children are and still inherit, because as a distant and poor island off the mainland coast it doesn't have significance.

It's important to note that Westeros is a fiercely patriarchal society where women are second class citizens. This is cruel, sexist and unfair I freely admit, but our only evidence of a son taking the family name of his mother comes from a quiet backwater and a story told to Jon by a woman who wants to get in his pants. We might wish it were otherwise, but legally speaking the Stark name will become extinct when this generation dies of old age. 

It is true that women are second class in many cases, but like I've said in this case the political structure is crumbling all over Westeros. Many important men (Joffrey, Tommen, Tywin, Robb, Ned, Robert, Doran, Trystane, Balon, etc) are all dying in a timespan of not even 5 years without male heirs and their wives (Olenna, Cersei, Ellaria) and daughters (Sansa, etc) are taking over, women still inherit mind you, but only if there are no eligible males. They'll have to pick up the pieces, which are still falling at the moment, and if they want to keep their houses going, Martlineal is the way they gotta go. They'll have to follow in House Mormont's footsteps in order to survive.

Also in Dorne women inherit on the same ground as men, so Westeros isn't completely patriarchal.

10 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Reveal hidden contents

8 hours ago, Mandzipop said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who picked up a different tone from Sophie since Comic Con.

5 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I think I know and maybe you to where this is going after all, atleast for a while.

Yes I agree  with you  all on the future of Sansa. What kind of "confirmed" this in my mind was my re-watch of the season 6, but now, as has been pointed out, this different tone. 

15 hours ago, TheCasualObserver said:

Jon has been legitimized as a Stark and no one knows he's a tart nor would anyone believe him. Also there's already been a non-Stark who took the Stark name. Bael the Bard's bastard.

Archived