Daenerys's Fate and the Fire She Must Light to Love

Lost Melnibonean

A king is coming (Aegon) and his coronation will be followed by blood and fire (the second dance of the dragons)...

"I will leave you." Varys rose. "I know how weary you must be. I only wished to welcome you, my lord, and tell you how very pleased I am by your arrival. We have dire need of you on the council. Have you seen the comet?"

"I'm short, not blind," Tyrion said. Out on the kingsroad, it had seemed to cover half the sky, outshining the crescent moon.

"In the streets, they call it the Red Messenger," Varys said. "They say it comes as a herald before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow." 

Tyrion I, Clash 3

On 12/9/2016 at 9:28 AM, Amris said:

You put it together very nicely. Add an 'n' to Drogo's name and the prophecy is complete and fulfilled in Dany's last chapter in DwD.

I agree that the 'quickening' is a pregnancy. However your presumption that she has to feel the embryo move is not necessary. Drogon is Drogo returned.

From what I understand that is actually what quickening is...feeling the movement. (speaking from the experience of 2 pregnancies) Maybe GRRM is using it unusually, but that's the usual meaning. 

4 hours ago, Bitterblooms said:

From what I understand that is actually what quickening is...feeling the movement. (speaking from the experience of 2 pregnancies) Maybe GRRM is using it unusually, but that's the usual meaning. 

Yes, that's my understanding too. 

I wonder if the fire Dany lights will be something akin to her own experience of being remade with spiritual fire:

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys III

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

Dany isn't physically burned by this fire but her soul is cleansed and remade - her soul is limned in flame.  This is the cleansing fire to which Melisandre refers.  I think Dany has to light this kind of fire in three others and this might have something to do with 'remembering who she is'.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:48 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Daenerys IX, Game 68

The pronoun “he” above, of course, refers to Drogo, whom Daenerys was about to send off into the night lands. Will Drogo return?

Quentyn son of Prince Doran of House Martell, whose sigil is the sun, rose in the west when he left Dorne, and he set in the east when he was killed in Meereen. Our lovely dragon queen notes in Daenerys X, Dance 71, that the Dothraki Sea is going dry. When she sits among her persimmon trees and lemon trees atop the Great Pyramid of Meereen and looks upon the smaller pyramids, she feels as if she is “atop the highest mountain in the world,” thus comparing the pyramids to mountains. Since then, one such “mountain” has collapsed in ruins, and the dragons have turned two more into smoking lairs.

That leaves us with Daenerys’s womb quickening again, and her bearing a living child. Even if what Daenerys went through on her recent walk about was a miscarriage, that would not satisfy the elements above. A quickening happens when a mother-to-be can feel the fetus moving. However, since the other elements have been satisfied, and since this is a fantasy filled with prophecy and foreshadowing, I would think that Daenerys’s womb will quicken again, and she will bear a living child, and her son will sit the Iron Throne...

Daenerys IV, Game 36

Her son will be Aegon’s...

Daenerys I, Game 3

Daenerys VI, Storm 71 (emphasis in the original)

Daenerys I, Dance 2 (emphasis in the original)

Tyrion VI, Dance 22

The love won’t last, of course...

Tyrion I, Clash 3

Arianne I, Winds

And Daenerys will vanquish Aegon...

The Ugly Little Girl, Dance 64

Daenerys was the first head. Aegon, red with rust, is revealed to be the second. Jon will be revealed to be the third. Although a dragon is still a dragon whether it is black or red, Aegon is the mummer’s dragon...

Daenerys V, Clash 63

And Daenerys will slay the fraud...

Daenerys IV, Clash 48

So, the wee Targlet will live, but Daenerys won’t...

Daenerys IV, Clash 48

The last fire Daenerys will light will be the one that is lit to consume her lifeless body after she dies giving birth to her child, a fire to love.

Drogo will not return to Daenerys, but Daenerys will return to Drogo.

As to the three mounts she must ride, "one to bed and one dread and one to love," most of us suspect the first is her silver with Drogo to the grassy place beside a small stream, and that the second is Drogo’s namesake Drogon. Well, you know what? The third one just might be the smoky stallion Daenerys will ride to join her sun-and-stars in the Night Lands.

I would hate this ending.  I would rather Dany roast Jon for a treason and Drogo is resurrected.  

On 31.03.2018 at 4:51 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

A king is coming (Aegon) and his coronation will be followed by blood and fire (the second dance of the dragons)...

"I will leave you." Varys rose. "I know how weary you must be. I only wished to welcome you, my lord, and tell you how very pleased I am by your arrival. We have dire need of you on the council. Have you seen the comet?"

"I'm short, not blind," Tyrion said. Out on the kingsroad, it had seemed to cover half the sky, outshining the crescent moon.

"In the streets, they call it the Red Messenger," Varys said. "They say it comes as a herald before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow." 

Melisandre's vision:

Then the towers by the sea, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths. Shadows in the shape of skulls, skulls that turned to mist, bodies locked together in lust, writhing and rolling and clawing. Through curtains of fire great winged shadows wheeled against a hard blue sky.

Golden Company and fAegon seizing Griffin's Roost, Storm's End, etc.

“We’ve had a raven from Ser Denys Mallister at the Shadow Tower,” Jon Snow told her. “His men have seen fires in the mountains on the far side of the Gorge. Wildlings massing, Ser Denys believes. He thinks they are going to try to force the Bridge of Skulls again.”

“Some may.” Could the skulls in her vision have signified this bridge? Somehow Melisandre did not think so. “If it comes, that attack will be no more than a diversion. I saw towers by the sea, submerged beneath a black and bloody tide. That is where the heaviest blow will fall.”

“Eastwatch?”

Was it? Melisandre had seen Eastwatch-by-the-Sea with King Stannis. That was where His Grace left Queen Selyse and their daughter Shireen when he assembled his knights for the march to Castle Black. The towers in her fire had been different, but that was oft the way with visions.

Curtains of fire in first and bloody tide in second - fire and blood. Though "black and bloody" is black and crimson, colors of House Targaryen. fAegon is also using them, or going to use fairly soon.

Varys knows that fAegon will come to Westeros, so he's influencing people to believe, that the Red comet heralded his arrival. That it means, that fAegon is a real Targaryen, and a rightful King of 7K.

There will be dragons - "Through curtains of fire great winged shadows wheeled against a hard blue sky". So Dany will arrive to Westeros, together with her winged babies. And it will be after Golden Company will seize part of Westeros. Though that scene "bodies locked together in lust, writhing and rolling and clawing", looks a bit too animalistic, so maybe it's dragons Drogon X Visenya making babies :wub:, and not Dany X fAegon :ack:.

On 3/31/2018 at 7:32 PM, Bitterblooms said:
On 12/9/2016 at 7:58 PM, Amris said:

I agree that the 'quickening' is a pregnancy. However your presumption that she has to feel the embryo move is not necessary. Drogon is Drogo returned.

Quickening is certainly a pregnancy. But this is what MMZ says in full: "When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before." This indicates that the curse didn't just leave Dany barren. She can get pregnant, but she will always miscarry the baby. By the end of DwD, she's bleeding and some think she's suffering a miscarriage. If that's the case, then Dany can get pregnant, but she will never be able to carry to term. That's just so cruel on MMZ's part. 

On 3/31/2017 at 6:04 AM, velo-knight said:

Also, it would be kind of insulting, somehow? Like, she does all these extraordinary things, suffers all these fairly awful trials, and then she's just another false savior, and Jon somehow gets a huge MacGuffin at the end and just steals all of her thunder (and possibly throne)? I will happily accept them working together, and happily accept them both as key heroes, but the idea of Dany as just a red herring bothers me.

Also, the idea of her part in the story being to wake dragons feels disgustingly sexist, somehow: even when she's pulling off miracles that haven't been done in centuries, having (true) visions of the future, and shaking the entire world, the "Dany's fulfilled her role" camp would reduce her to yet another breeder, albeit a very valuable one. That's horrifying. I don't think that's been touched on in this thread, but it comes up sometimes in these types of discussions, and I hope I'm not alone in thinking that Dany deserves to be more than just a glorified animal husbandry career.

Agree with this. It should be noted that the Undying tell Dany that they have been waiting for her for a thousand years. So even if Dany is not the PTWP, her importance to the story isn't diminished. I do think Jon is the PTWP, because of the literal promise Ned makes to Lyanna, Jon's mother (this is basically confirmed). 

Also, PTWP, as Mel calls Azor Ahai, only makes the darkness "flee." So AA manages to make the WW retreat, but don't entirely eliminate them, obviously. Maybe Dany's arc relates to ending the Long Night for good. 

Speaking of the ice+fire connection to Jon, it should be noted that Dany is also part ice on behalf of a Blackwood great-grandma. Bloodraven is also the result of an ice+fire connection, a Targ father and a Blackwood mother, so maybe he could be the "song" or AA following this logic. 

1 hour ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Agree with this. It should be noted that the Undying tell Dany that they have been waiting for her for a thousand years. So even if Dany is not the PTWP, her importance to the story isn't diminished. I do think Jon is the PTWP, because of the literal promise Ned makes to Lyanna, Jon's mother (this is basically confirmed). 

Also, PTWP, as Mel calls Azor Ahai, only makes the darkness "flee." So AA manages to make the WW retreat, but don't entirely eliminate them, obviously. Maybe Dany's arc relates to ending the Long Night for good. 

Speaking of the ice+fire connection to Jon, it should be noted that Dany is also part ice on behalf of a Blackwood great-grandma. Bloodraven is also the result of an ice+fire connection, a Targ father and a Blackwood mother, so maybe he could be the "song" or AA following this logic. 

So true. 

Archived