Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

5 minutes ago, mormont said:

Serious question: can you name me a similar player?

Substantial experience in the EPL, established international, good goalscoring record, good physical and technical characteristics, 25 or under, currently available for under £30m?

No names are coming to my mind right now.

We need to think about it for hours to remember the name(s) :D

3 hours ago, StefCurry said:

Arsene Wenger's transfer politics. Won't sign Mustafi for 30-35 and now concentrated on Gimenez from Atletico, who's price is much more that german player...
I just can't understand it.

Gimenez is a better player and one I'd rather have. Thing is, we're not actually in for him. It was Arsenal leaking names to the press to try to force Valencia's hand. Annoying but that's the game with them. Get the cheapest possible price and if it's not in the "value range" walk away. Unfortunately, that leaves us short every year.

3 hours ago, StefCurry said:

30M for Benteke?! Are you kidding me CPFC? Great deal for Liverpool.

I honestly don't get the commotion over the transfer fee. As I said, this is a great deal for both parties involved. £30m is no longer reserved for the upper echelon of players and hasn't been for a few years. If Benteke is able to reproduce the form he showed at Villa, then he will be well worth the price tag. Lets not forget that he averaged a goal every other game for Villa, which is nothing to scoff at and at 25 years of age, Palace have a reliable goal scorer in the prime of his career.

One of the few remaining possible big deals left is Lukaku to Chelsea. 

Anyone think that will still happen? Seems quiet lately. Bolasie going to Everton is not really Everton covering themselves in the event of a Lukaku loss, is it, and if they do sell him, what then?

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

One of the few remaining possible big deals left is Lukaku to Chelsea. 

Anyone think that will still happen? Seems quiet lately. Bolasie going to Everton is not really Everton covering themselves in the event of a Lukaku loss, is it, and if they do sell him, what then?

I doubt Lukaku would make such a mistake again.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what does Chelsea have to offer him at the moment? They don't have the lure of Champions League this season nor are they likely to win the title plus their squad is in for a major restructure over the next couple of years. They can only offer him money but I doubt he lacks that at Everton and he could have as much money as Chelsea would offer him if he chooses to move elsewhere.

Well, I don't want to make a case for Chelsea, but I suppose the attraction would be going to a better team, a team that will already contend for the title this year, which Everton is unlikely to do. And with that, Chelsea is very likely playing CL football next year ( I do expect them to finish top 4 at least), which Everton is also unlikely to do.

I wouldn't love the transfer myself as it sort of decapitates Everton who I think are in for a comeback year. Plus Chelsea have and will hold on to Costa. I can see why Chelsea would want him though because just Costa upfront for a whole season long, that is uncertain stuff.

I'll be a bit surprised if the Lukaku transfer goes through now. The rumoured price tag is probably putting Chelsea off and I don't see Everton compromising too much on the fee. I'm sure Everton will do everything to hang onto Lukaku and time is against Chelsea.

Can't really see us selling Lukaku now. We are not even remotely linked with buying a striker (mostly wingers), and a sale of Lukaku would leave us with only Kone as a recognised striker (no, Niasse doesn't count as a footballer). Considering he was on the bench behind Deulofeu against Tottenham, I can't see that as being a realistic alternative.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

So, err, it turns out that Fellaini does survive Pogba's arrival, and is starting together with him in midfield.

This could be interesting.

Gangliest midfield ever?  It should be funny to see Mata standing next to the other two.

8 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Is Miki just not match fit or something. Thought he was gonna walk into Uniteds starting eleven after his big year last season. 

Now, now. Don't forget he's fighting Fellaini for his place.

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

So, err, it turns out that Fellaini does survive Pogba's arrival, and is starting together with him in midfield.

This could be interesting.

Quite surprised about that. Not convinced that Fellaini is suited to a deep lying midfield role. Looks like Mourinho has chosen physicality over balance. Still no Mkhitaryan and Lingard not even on the bench. Didn't think the knock he picked up would keep him out of this game as well.

Still think that one of Schneiderlin, Herrera or Carrick will be first choice alongside Pogba. We lack control in midfield because Fellaini does not have the range of passing to get his foot on the ball and dictate play. He is much more effective in a more advanced role.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

United looking pretty lively so far.

I wonder who Jose will play in midfield against the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, because surely playing Fellaini as a DM is a recipe for disaster in those types of games.

Against the stronger teams he'll always park the bus and instruct his team to foul a lot. 

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

United looking pretty lively so far.

I wonder who Jose will play in midfield against the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, because surely playing Fellaini as a DM is a recipe for disaster in those types of games.

The even weirder thing is that though this week, unlike last when it was Herrera lying deeper, he is the more defensive partner, he's not actually operating as a DM. Definitely has licence to roam.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Still think that one of Schneiderlin, Herrera or Carrick will be first choice alongside Pogba. We lack control in midfield because Fellaini does not have the range of passing to get his foot on the ball and dictate play. He is much more effective in a more advanced role.

I can definitely see it being Herrera eventually, or Schneiderlin, but to be fair Mourinho has never necessarily been about passing control. I'm just surprised because both Fellaini and Pogba are essentially chaotic players and while I can see where Mourinho would want one of those players to fuck with the opposition, having both in a midfield two leaves no-one to mitigate that on our side. That's even more true when you've got Bailly behind them, on the evidence so far also potentially a mess-causing player.

On the other hand both Pogba and Fellaini do offer an element of defense, and Pogba can get his foot on it and pass when he wants to even though he's not exactly Scholes.

Archived