Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

9 minutes ago, Notone said:

Are you trying to sell me a used car?

No. I'm asking you to give examples of which players you were referring to earlier. I'm quite prepared to believe there are such players, to be clear: I'm just not aware of any.

Palace bought a forward who had scored 10 goals in 45 appearences last season. Not great numbers for a forward. Furthermore this player was considered a surplus for his old club, and he was either to leave the club or sit on the bench. So 30m for a bench player. The substantial experience in the EPL kinda rules out anybody outside the goldfish tank.

But it's a very relevant issue. Players with EPL experience are valued higher, for good reason.

A player who is 25, is a similar player type to Benteke and who was available this transfer window was Anthony Ujah. 66 games 21 goals for Köln and 30 games 11 goals for Bremen over the course of the last three seasons was decent, given those were not exactly top clubs.Köln's Anthony Modeste whom Palace very likely could have lured away with less money. He just came of 15 goals in 34 games season.  He is a bit older, since he is already 28. Swansea's new acquisition Borja Baston came off an 18 goals in 36 games season in Spain, and he did also cost less than Benteke. And he is also under 25.

And that's just two names outside the EPL I can come up with in less than 5 minutes. 

I'm not familiar with Ujah but I would say there's good reasons why he'd be valued lower. 7 caps, no goals for Nigeria compared to 26 caps and 6 goals for Benteke: considerably less career experience (197 appearances since 2010 compared to 279 since 2008): no EPL experience. Modeste's much the same except not an internationalist, and, as you note, is older so has less resale value. Both would be a much bigger gamble than Benteke. They're more comparable to, say, Ahmed Musa as signings.

Benteke's stats last year are distorted by the fact that half his appearances were from the bench. But his record with Aston Villa was a goal every other game: he's settled and proven in England. And if you look at his fee in the context of that of other players who are settled and proven in the EPL, it's comparable. £35m for Sadio Mane: £24m for Wijnaldum: £25m for Bolasie.

Just now, mormont said:

Benteke's stats last year are distorted by the fact that half his appearances were from the bench. But his record with Aston Villa was a goal every other game: he's settled and proven in England. And if you look at his fee in the context of that of other players who are settled and proven in the EPL, it's comparable. £35m for Sadio Mane: £24m for Wijnaldum: £25m for Bolasie.

Like I said, 30m for a bench player. 

Mane was an established first team player with Southhampton, and he contributed a goal roughly every three games, which is a very decent number for a winger to say the least. Is it a steep price? Yes. But it's somewhat justifiable. 
24m for Wijnaldum. Now that is somewhat harder to justify, but 11 goals in 38 games for a relegated club is also not too bad for a midfielder. But overall I would also call that one overpriced.

Really Bolasie did cost Everton 25m?

9 minutes ago, mormont said:

But it's a very relevant issue. Players with EPL experience are valued higher, for good reason.

You can make that case, but  does it justify a 100% Premium? 

Damn, I though this would be a foregone conclusion for Liverpool so I was watching the Watford/Chelsea game. Pretty boring affair, tbh. Switching over to Liverpool/Burnley. Think Liverpool are going to stage a fightback but with their rubbish defending, there's always the chance of them conceding more as well.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Like I said, 30m for a bench player. 

One season on the bench after six straight seasons as a first team player doesn't make you 'a bench player'. It means you had a move that didn't work out.

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Damn, I though this would be a foregone conclusion for Liverpool so I was watching the Watford/Chelsea game. Pretty boring affair, tbh. Switching over to Liverpool/Burnley. Think Liverpool are going to stage a fightback but with their rubbish defending, there's always the chance of them conceding more as well.

Watford just took the lead. :P

Weirdly, Capoue, who spent the whole of last season shooting from 20-30 yards without scoring once, has now scored two in two.

I was hoping we'd replicate our best 20 minutes against Arsenal but had a sinking feeling we'd replicate the first half instead. All the usual problems: CM over-run and no DM, Coutinho shooting wide and often, Sturridge doesn't work or play for the team, lots of shots but no goal, we concede from almost every shot we allow. 

21 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Quite surprised about that. Not convinced that Fellaini is suited to a deep lying midfield role. Looks like Mourinho has chosen physicality over balance. Still no Mkhitaryan and Lingard not even on the bench. Didn't think the knock he picked up would keep him out of this game as well.

I was also surprised to see him start again last night next to Pogba, but we really have to him Fellaine massive credit here, he played exceedingly well, didn't put a foot wrong all game. Like you I think eventually one of the 3 more "gifted" players comes in next to Pogba, but still, he is clearly putting a mark. Mourinho will love the physicality of these two together, and frankly, so do I.

20 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Bailly does have alot of potential but I can see why Mourinho is still in the market for an experienced CB.

F365 is reporting that United are done doing deals for the season and I think there may be truth to that. 

In other news, Liverpool suffering a bizarre defeat at Burnley. You could say "typical Liverpool", no consistency there.

Chelsea being old Chelsea again, 1-0 down against Watford for a long time, and leaving with a 1-2 win. That too, is typical, and typical also, of title contenders.

When I saw that someone had dug out a questionable tweet from a few years ago on Andre Grey's twitter, I thought it would just be the typical bit of stupid 'banter' that, while not clever, doesn't really warrant dragging through the mud by someone trying to ruin his day.

But no, it deserves everything it gets.

Costa should have been sent off . I am surprised no one here is talking about it . He was on a yellow card and went on to dive in a very dramatic fashion which was very clearly seen by the ref but choose to let him go .  A handball by a Watford player was missed so i don't know how much it would have affected the game but still don't think Chelsea deserved the win there .

39 minutes ago, brAnthelAstgreenseer said:

Costa should have been sent off . I am surprised no one here is talking about it . He was on a yellow card and went on to dive in a very dramatic fashion which was very clearly seen by the ref but choose to let him go .  A handball by a Watford player was missed so i don't know how much it would have affected the game but still don't think Chelsea deserved the win there .

I don't think many of us watched the Chelsea game. I only saw the 1st half and it was dull as dirt. Looks like Costa dodged a bullet yet again. He should have been sent off last week too.

Archived