Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

We were shit today.

That is all.

#WengerOut
#OhGodPleasePleasePleaseIReallyDon'tKnowHowMuchMoreOfThisICanTake

ETA: Actually, in defence, we were pretty good. Holding looks like a player of great promise, and Koscielny bossed it all afternoon.

4 hours ago, brAnthelAstgreenseer said:

Costa should have been sent off . I am surprised no one here is talking about it . He was on a yellow card and went on to dive in a very dramatic fashion which was very clearly seen by the ref but choose to let him go .  A handball by a Watford player was missed so i don't know how much it would have affected the game but still don't think Chelsea deserved the win there .

Can't really complain about the refs today, seeing as Clattenburg denied Leicester a clear penalty.

Sorry for spamming, but I've just got home and seen Wenger's post-match quotes.

"We don't speak about the performances anymore and I think that is not right. Nobody speaks about the performance of Holding today - he is English, he is 20, you should be happy. I am sorry he didn't cost £55m."

Fair's fair, it has to be said. The young lad delivered a quality performance today, his only mis-step a single wayward pass that got scooped up in midfield and came to nothing. Other than that, can't think of a single thing he did wrong. At only £2M, he may well turn out to be the signing of the summer.

Also, Wenger actually confirmed that we are in talks to sign Mustafi. I guess he'd only do that if a signing was close.

And we have to sign a striker. Sanchez is most definitely not the answer. It didn't work last season, and it's clearly not working now. The player looks thoroughly pissed off, and who could blame him? He ain't gonna sign a new deal with us.

Not to mention Arsenal's bargaining positions has increased somewhat. It looks like Valencia's transfer talks with Barcelona have stalled or even broken down. And since Valencia really needs cash, and Mustafi is one of the few players they are able to turn immediately into cash Wenger might be able to save a penny or two there.

Liverpool fans are melting down about Henderson as a DM and Milner/Moreno as a LB.  We're starting to sound like gooners.  The point is valid but if the manager doesn't want to hear it, I'm not sure what use it is to raise your own blood pressure over it. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool fans are melting down about Henderson as a DM and Milner/Moreno as a LB.  We're starting to sound like gooners.  The point is valid but if the manager doesn't want to hear it, I'm not sure what use it is to raise your own blood pressure over it. 

I'm still not over the fact that Henderson is an LFC player and the captain.He's a bang average player and needs to be moved on,let alone be LFC captain.

I'm not going to comment on today's match as i stopped watching after the way we conceded the first goal.I gather i didnt miss much and that it was a rather spineless performance till the end.

I'm more interested in this news about a possible partial takeover of the club by a Chinese consortium led by investment firm Everbright and PCP Capital Partners, the private equity firm founded by Amanda Staveley.Staveley is the same person who advised Sheikh Mansour when he bought Man City.

Gnabry is going to be like a #NewSigning. Seriously though, the wide right position is up for grabs.

Holding was indeed impressive, I couldn't have the only one who was slightly surprised to see him starting ahead of Chambers,  having a experienced CB at the back like Koscielny that doesn't panic on the ball makes such a difference. 

I thought Coquelin would get sent off in that second half, but he was fairly restrained in the second half. He gets a lot of flak for being a bit careless in the tackle, but I thought he played well too. His distribution still needs work though. As does our midfield. 

I didn't see the match but hearing Holding was impressive is a good thing. However, Chambers also had a few impressive starts at CB in his first season and he's still not the finished product. I'd much rather have another experienced CB like Mustafi in there.

Koscielny and Mertesacker are both the wrong side of 30. And Chambers and Holding are both around 20. While Chambers and Holding might be the CB pairing of the future, there's too big an age gap there to bridge directly. Ideally both Chambers and Holding would go out on loan and get first-team football experience somewhere else rather than learning on the job at a high-pressure place like Arsenal.

Gabriel (25) is in the middle of that age gap, but I don't see him as a leading CB so he's unlikely to be the guy you want to be shepherding Chambers/Holding into the roles. Whereas if we got Mustafi in (24), conceivably him and Gabriel could be the next central pairing with Chambers/Holding as backup.

I agree with everyone that Holding looked good. When you have an experienced badass next to you like Koscielny, you're bound to look good as long as you don't make any huge egregious errors. Chambers also looked very good next to Koscielny. We still need an experienced CB though. Can't rely on Holding to play like that for the next 55 games.

But as we knew, the biggest issue was at striker. Not going to wax poetic there, it's a broken record.

Moyes haven't been handed the best hand, with one of his first choice CBs sold to Watford and the second picking up a mysterious back injury while rejecting a new deal and publicly angling for a move to Everton. The attack doesn't look good either, even if Januszaj has shown his talent once or twice. 

Will be another long season for Sunderland, for certain.

Apparently Chelsea are out of the Lukaku race as there is said to no longer be a race, Lukaku has said he will stay at Everton for at least one more year. Chelski now trying to sign Mandzukic from Juve.

Good news for Everton who IMO have an excellent squad.

Also, Bravo to City is done and Ajax keeper Jasper Cillissen is expected as the replacement.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

They got better in the second half to be fair. Played some nice stuff and pressured Boro. They certainly need a bit more firepower in attack though.

There are already hints of a partnership forming between Januzaj, Pienaar and Watmore. I think those 3 behind Defore will be a very decent attacking line up. Januzaj was erratic, but I think he can be decent for them. Hopefully Pienaar won't be hampered by injuries this season. 

13 hours ago, Raja said:

There are already hints of a partnership forming between Januzaj, Pienaar and Watmore. I think those 3 behind Defore will be a very decent attacking line up. Januzaj was erratic, but I think he can be decent for them. Hopefully Pienaar won't be hampered by injuries this season. 

Honestly, I can't see Pienaar staying injury free for more than four or five games running. Too bad, because he still has the touch and vision to run a forward line like Sunderland's. I think putting him in centrally is a good idea as well - that's where he played both for Ajax and South Africa.

On 21/08/2016 at 2:45 PM, Rorshach said:

Moyes haven't been handed the best hand, with one of his first choice CBs sold to Watford and the second picking up a mysterious back injury while rejecting a new deal and publicly angling for a move to Everton.

He isn't doing himself any favours, though.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/10547333/david-moyes-admits-sunderland-will-be-in-a-fight-against-relegation-this-season

Asked what his response would be to fans who fear another survival scrap, Moyes said: "Well, they would probably be right because that's where they've been every other year for the last four years, so why would it suddenly change?"

I don't know, David. Maybe because they appointed a new manager?

I mean, publicly admitting that you're not able to change things is a new strategy, but not a very wise one.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

He isn't doing himself any favours, though.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/10547333/david-moyes-admits-sunderland-will-be-in-a-fight-against-relegation-this-season

I don't know, David. Maybe because they appointed a new manager?

I mean, publicly admitting that you're not able to change things is a new strategy, but not a very wise one.

You can't win really, people would have called him delusional if he promised anything more. Just goes to show why most managers are so evasive when questions like that are posed.

Joel Campbell's loan to Lisbon has gone through. I'm very disappointed - I know he's not someone spectacular, but how he wasn't given more of a chance in this team is something that I don't understand. His performances last season were decent, they were *miles* ahead of Walcott and AOC, but we'll continue to indulge those two players ( especially the former), whilst loaning out someone who did really well for us in the few games that he was given the chance. Sigh. 

He made it very clear he wanted to stay and fight for his place, but he's been shipped out. Fuck that. 

Archived