Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

12 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

You can't win really, people would have called him delusional if he promised anything more.

And would that really be a problem?

Look at it like this. His team have lost two games out of two. As manager, his job is to pick them up and get them ready to win the next one. He doesn't have to start talking about qualifying for Europe or anything. He just has to say 'it's too early in the season to talk about relegation, we've only played two games, we're still integrating new players. I know the team has the quality and desire to pick up points and win games and that's our aim. Our focus is always on winning the next game and we'll see where that takes us.'

Instead he's admitting that he's unable to change anything (so why were you hired?) and that a relegation battle is inevitable. The team now have that as their expectation. They expect to lose games. They will. It's bad management.

Yes, I think that was silly of Moyes to say. I know you want to keep expectations realistic but he didn't have to be that gloomy about it, especially this early in the season. It would be enough to get a non-negligible number of the fans offside.

I feel sorry for Moyes because of the whole United debacle. Yes, it was mostly his fault, but I still want him to come good so that people with short memories don't think he was entirely rubbish.

11 hours ago, Raja said:

Joel Campbell's loan to Lisbon has gone through. I'm very disappointed - I know he's not someone spectacular, but how he wasn't given more of a chance in this team is something that I don't understand. His performances last season were decent, they were *miles* ahead of Walcott and AOC, but we'll continue to indulge those two players ( especially the former), whilst loaning out someone who did really well for us in the few games that he was given the chance. Sigh. 

He made it very clear he wanted to stay and fight for his place, but he's been shipped out. Fuck that. 

I was disappointed too. I hope we sell him and he gets an opportunity to succeed elsewhere. It's clear he has no future with Arsenal and I'm not sure why. Totally agree that he was much better than AOC and Walcott.

Liverpool have a LC game tonight against Burton Albion, who I expect will try to sit deep like Burnley.  It's time for Liverpool to show they can play against this tactic.  Our high press works against teams who try to play out from the back but we've struggled for years against deep defenses that are willing to kick it long when pressed.  There's no point in hammering City, Southampton and Arsenal if almost every team in the bottom half of the table can take at least a point off us. 

It's time to show some self-awareness and develop a response to this.  We have players with movement and interplay, they just seem to stagnate during the game and forget they need to pull the defenders around to create openings. And it means questions about Firmino's role: he's great as a false 9 when the press works against a high line, but anonymous against a deep  defense. 

I don't understand these rumors that Liverpool are trying to loan Sakho out for the season. Klavan/Lovren was average vs Arsenal and absolutely wank vs Burnley. Don't think Matip is enough cover. Hope it's bullshit. 

Our transfer window is starting to come off as being pretty fucking weird. Buy an attacking midfielder (Wijnaldum) to play in the center of midfield when it's pretty much unanimously considered that it isn't his best position, don't buy a left back when it's obvious to everyone that's been our biggest need. Hope Karius and Matip are starting soon.  Fuckin A that Burnley game was a buzz kill. 

Apparently the idea is, that Lucas is to stay at Liverpool.

So Klopp's CBs are Matip, Lovren, Lucas and Klavan.

Klavan was never signed to be more than an experienced back up. But fact of the matter is, that would leave Liverpool with 4 centrebacks. Which should be enough - especially since Liverpool doesn't have any European Football this season. Matip, Lovren are imo the obvious starters from those 4. Especially Matip is a player I rate quite highly, and I believe Liverpool will gain a lot of joy from that signing. He might not be as spectacular to watch as Sakho, but he is a very good footballer, and who needs a flashy centre back?

Why Klopp wants to keep Lucas over Sakho, now that is a question you should ask him. It could be a disciplinary thing, that Sakho has pushed it too far, or a quality thing, that Klopp does not rate him as high as the Kop does. Or a mixture of the two. It's not like Sakho has produced world class performances week in and week out. There were some pretty great games, and some pretty bleak  ones, quite often in succession. 

Mane making a big difference to Liverpool already, but Can and Origi both picked up injuries.  

I don't understand the Sakho loan story at all.  Sakho would have to be ahead of Lucas and Klavan, even if he has been inconsistent.  Joe Gomez is still at the club and looks very promising, but has an Achilles injury following his return from ACL. 

I don't know what's going on backstage at Liverpool. Like I said, it can have disciplinary reasons, or sporting reasons or a mixture of both. Oh, and Lucas Leiva is apparently also staying.

Let's assume Klopp considers Sakho as centreback number 3 (at best), then the next question is, how will Sakho react to that demotion from being a starting player to a bench player. He will take it professionally, silently accept his demotion and compete for his place, or will he be a locker room cancer. What does the locker room chemistry look like? How popular is Sakho among his team mates? It's not necessarily the same as being a fan favorite. 

Those are all questions for Klopp. Ask him, if you see him. 

Champions League group stages draw coming up in a bit. Here are the pots:

Pot 1: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Leicester City, Bayern Mnich, Juventus, Benfica, Paris St-Germain, CSKA Moscow

Pot 2: Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Manchester City, Sevilla, Porto, Napoli, Bayer Leverkusen

Pot 3: Basel, Tottenham, Dynamo Kiev, Lyon, PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Club Brugge, Monchengladbach

Pot 4: Celtic, Monaco, Besiktas, Legia Warsaw, Dinamo Zagreb, Ludogorets Razgrad, Kobenhavn, Rostov

The qualification rounds involved another amusing RB Salzburg failure, but I would have liked Dundalk and Hapoel Be'er Sheva through.

Spurs away in the League Cup third round should be great, but it may be a bit awkward getting a ticket.

Quite pleased that Leicester got a decent draw. Spurs will be very happy as well considering they were in pot 3. They should be able to negotiate that group without too much trouble. Arsenal shouldn't have much trouble qualifying either. The question is whether they can win the group. If not, we all know that it is inevitable they will end up facing either Bayern or Barca in the round of 16. City should get through as well but I don't see them winning the group. All in all, the English sides will be quite content with the draw.

43 minutes ago, mormont said:

Brutal draw for Celtic, though.

It is. Realistically, Celtic's best bet is to try and beat Gladbach to 3rd place and get into the EL. 

Well, fuck me. The Mustafi deal is virtually done. After agreeing a £35m fee with Valencia, the player is having a medical tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

So...how much of Lucas Perez have we all seen?

Nothing at all. Can't say I'm enthused by the prospect, but at least it's better than nothing.

Archived