Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Well, fuck me. The Mustafi deal is virtually done. After agreeing a £35m fee with Valencia, the player is having a medical tomorrow.

Nothing at all. Can't say I'm enthused by the prospect, but at least it's better than nothing.

Hurray to Arsene for signing the #6 defender on the German National Team!

1 minute ago, Raja said:

17 goals - 10 assists and Very different from Giroud. I'll take it. IF we can sign him. 

He's a journeyman, whose stats prior to last season were abysmal.

On the face of it, he's not an upgrade on anything we've currently got, except perhaps Sanogo.

Is this really the top quality Wenger has been banging on about all summer?

2 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Hurray to Arsene for signing the #6 defender on the German National Team!

Yeah, considering how rubbish the Germans are at this whole football thing, he must be really shit, eh?

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

Spocky, reading this about him right now. Seems encouraging 

Ah, okay. You're right, I do feel slightly more encouraged.

Get it done, Wenger.  If not, we'll have to have a whip-round and get a side of beef with eyes drawn on from Mercenary Chef.

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

He's a journeyman, whose stats prior to last season were abysmal.

On the face of it, he's not an upgrade on anything we've currently got, except perhaps Sanogo.

Is this really the top quality Wenger has been banging on about all summer?

Anyone is better than Walcott or Sanchez at CF.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Anyone is better than Walcott or Sanchez at CF.

Well, yeah. Hopefully this Perez signing will mean an abrupt end to the failed experiment that is Sanchez at CF. As for Walcott, his wages probably mean we're stuck with the fucker for another two years. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Well, yeah. Hopefully this Perez signing will mean an abrupt end to the failed experiment that is Sanchez at CF. As for Walcott, his wages probably mean we're stuck with the fucker for another two years. 

Makes me cry every time I think about it.

Think our business with Mustafi, Lucas, Holding and Xhaka is solid. Don't think we win the league but should get top 4. Basically, another year like every other year.

West Ham lose at home to the second best team in Romania (for the second season in a row) to crash out of the Europa League before the group stages.  Really pathetic.  

21 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, considering how rubbish the Germans are at this whole football thing, he must be really shit, eh?

No, but you have obviously not signed the next Hummels or Boateng. Personally I think Mustafi will be somewhat pressed to defend his place on the German roster in the future. Hoffenheim's Süle has developed quite nicely during the last two years or so. And I give him a fair chance to earn his first caps on the senior level within the next two years. And he is a good bit taller than Mustafi.

Having that said, I think Mustafi is a short good term fix to add more depth to the Arsenal defense and to replace an aging Mertesacker. 

54 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Dude, your avatar is the best thing I have ever seen in my entire life. I would like your permission to take its hand in marriage.

Of course! I always dreamed my humble young avatar would one day attract such a reputable suitor! I will begin fermenting honey for your month's worth of mead this very day!

1 hour ago, Notone said:

No, but you have obviously not signed the next Hummels or Boateng. Personally I think Mustafi will be somewhat pressed to defend his place on the German roster in the future. Hoffenheim's Süle has developed quite nicely during the last two years or so. And I give him a fair chance to earn his first caps on the senior level within the next two years. And he is a good bit taller than Mustafi.

Having that said, I think Mustafi is a short good term fix to add more depth to the Arsenal defense and to replace an aging Mertesacker. 

I really couldn't give a shit about which order he sits within the German pecking order. Why the fuck should I?

I didn't even realise that West Ham were knocked out until the draw yesterday. Really disappointing that they bombed before the group stage proper yet again and to a side I've never even heard of. They do have a number of players out injured but still should have been good enough beat FC Astra at home.

Our draw is pretty interesting. Not a straightforward group with Fenerbahce and Feyenoord but we should be getting through. Alot will depend on the attitude taken towards the EL. Personally I feel that we should approach this competition with the same attitude that we would the CL. With automatic qualification to the CL for the winners and given how competitive the EPL is, it would be silly to ignore an alternate route to the CL. Our priorities for the season should be: League>Europa League>>FA Cup>>>C1C.

I'd have put money on Coutinho scoring there. Horrible miss.

ETA. Strange decision by the ref, opting to give Vertonghen a warning rather than awarding a penalty. That was a blatant foul on Matip. Liverpool playing really well and should be in front.

Archived