Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

Let's check the latest transfers and rumors.

Serge Gnabry on the move to Werder Bremen.

Alcacer signed with Barcelona, in exchange Valencia gets to loan Munir for a year, with an option buy him.

Sevilla is rumoredly interested in signing Nasri, in another rumor Besiktas is also interested in signing him. 

And Wolfsburg turned down offers for Draxler (Paris) and Luiz Gustavo (Juve). 

I thought Spurs just turned down an offer for Son, stating they won't sell him during this tansfer window?

So Arsenal confirm signings of Perez and Mustafi. Who knows what Perez is like, but in this market he's relatively cheap, so I suppose it doesn't hurt to take a gamble. Mustafi I think is a good buy.

The problem is whether they will integrate quickly into the team or whether there will be some uncertainty in the first few games, which would be more of a problem if it happens with Mustafi than if it happens with Perez.

Wenger's biggest spending window on record!

38 minutes ago, Jeor said:

So Arsenal confirm signings of Perez and Mustafi. Who knows what Perez is like, but in this market he's relatively cheap, so I suppose it doesn't hurt to take a gamble. Mustafi I think is a good buy.

The problem is whether they will integrate quickly into the team or whether there will be some uncertainty in the first few games, which would be more of a problem if it happens with Mustafi than if it happens with Perez.

Wenger's biggest spending window on record!

I'll assume that Perez will likely take a few games before he plays much, especially with Giroud coming back in the side and Walcott playing well and Mustafi will start the 2nd game after the international break with Holding starting against Southampton. 

Perez is probably squad depth at best, I mean, he is 27 years old and I had never even heard of him even though I watch the Primera Division with some regularity. By no means a standout player.

Mustafi is simply necessary but with Gabriel back he might not be a starter. But he could be ahead of Gabriel as well.

In other news, Brazilian talent Gabigol (  Barbosa) does not sign with an EPL club after all but heads to Inter. The other Brazilian talent is Gabriel Jesus who comes to Man City as of December.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Perez is probably squad depth at best, I mean, he is 27 years old and I had never even heard of him even though I watch the Primera Division with some regularity. By no means a standout player.

Mustafi is simply necessary but with Gabriel back he might not be a starter. But he could be ahead of Gabriel as well.

In other news, Brazilian talent Gabigol (  Barbosa) does not sign with an EPL club after all but heads to Inter. The other Brazilian talent is Gabriel Jesus who comes to Man City as of December.

Lol, this is a good way to figure out if a player is good or not, I have to admit to doing this in the past:

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/lucas-perez/81930

Leicester doing some serious business here, signing both striker Slimani and midfielder Adrien Silva from Sporting Lisbon.

Slimani I have been impressed by, 27 goals last season in 33 games as well I see. Silva I do not know but he played for Portugal the Euros apparently, though did not stand out.

Also, Sissokho from Newcastle to Spurs they say. Could he play next to Wanyama and create quite the formidable pairing? Wonder what this means for Dier who had his breakout year last season.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

The new guy losing to Giroud on finishing can't be that reassuring for Arsenal fans, can it?

Nope but he might get more easier chances than Giroud based on his pace and run behind style. No idea if he's any good but his style is what Arsenal fans have wanted for awhile.

3 hours ago, baxus said:

The new guy losing to Giroud on finishing can't be that reassuring for Arsenal fans, can it?

Giroud's a great player, with a lot more to his game than simply scoring goals. The problem he's had for the past few seasons is a lack of competition/backup. Wenger's had no alternative but to run him into the ground.

Perfectly happy with our squad now. £94m net spend - can't argue with that.

ETA: And yeah, what Mex said. It's so good to have a completely different type of striker. If Xhaka continues to ping those passes from deep midfield, I can see Perez getting us a heap of goals.

35 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If Xhaka continues to ping those passes from deep midfield, I can see Perez getting us a heap of goals.

That pass he played against Watford with the outside of his left foot to Alexis made me swoon.

And Nasri is indeed on his way to Sevilla. On loan for a season with an option to buy him for Sevilla. Most predictable Guardiola move ever.

David Luiz back to Chelsea for big bucks seems to be the back up plan for Chelsea. They had been linked toRüdiger (before he tore his ligaments) and after that they were linked to Mustafi in the past, which probably would have been the cheaper solution to add depth to their defense. Either Mustafi fell through as not good enough, or he simply prefered Arsenal.

Oh and Mad Nigel de Jong is back, Gala signed him. 

Gnabry to Bremen is also official. Rumor has it, Bayern had somehow acquired an option on him in the process, which would allow them to sign Gnabry after a year.

Surprised that Arsenal offloaded Gnabry and for such a paltry sum. Hopefully they included a buy back clause. Stoke complete loan deals for Bony and Martins-Indi.

14 minutes ago, Notone said:

Gnabry to Bremen is also official. Rumor has it, Bayern had somehow acquired an option on him in the process, which would allow them to sign Gnabry after a year.

Responding to this rumour, Bremen's GM states that there are no agreements with other clubs. 

Yes, but the news source stating that clause exists is usually quite credible. Given that Bremen is not the richest club in the Bundesliga by any means, I am inclined to dismiss Baumann's bravado as just that. And given that I doubt Gnabry has the quality (yet) to impress Bayern sufficiently enough for them to pull the trigger on that option, I think it's kinda unlikely Baumann will get called out on it.

About the fee. If you take away the EPL premiums it simply looks less bloated. Add to that Gnabry's contract was running out at the end of the season, and Arsenal bargaining position looks somewhat weaker. I assume Gnabry's agent made it clear that he wants to leave Arsenal (and possibly the EPL). Take into account what I said above, concerning Bayern probably not pulling the trigger on the rumored clause, because Gnabry isn't on that level quality wise (his first touch/ball control is something he really needs to improve, if he wants to play Champions League at a top club in the future). It makes sense for Arsenal to at least get some change for a fringe player.

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Is it the same one that said that if Pogba leaves Juventus, it will only be to Madrid?

Or maybe the one that put Mkhitaryan's transfer fee at 30 odd million pounds.;)

Anyway I'll just go with what Bremen's GM says instead of relying on rumours but it wouldn't come as a surprise if Bayern does have some sort of clause. As we all know they have their pick of players in the Bundesliga as other clubs just roll over when Bayern come knocking.

Liverpool sell Luis Alberto to Lazio for £4.3 million apparently. They're managing to make a surprising amount of money selling off the peripheral squad players who were almost certainly not going to play very much this season.

Liverpool sold Alberto, Benteke, Balotelli (free transfer to Nice) and Markovic (loan). It just shows how wasteful we were since the sale of Suarez.  BR as a limited manager was severely compounded by a terrible transfer record.  

We look pretty profitable now because we had stockpiled a lot of fringe players that we're selling after prices went up.  But gains on Ibe and Brad Smith (not to mention Sterling and Suarez) are offset by big losses on Balotelli, Markovic, Carroll, Downing, Adam, and a long list of others. 

But the main story is that Klopp stuck to his guns on not signing a LB or DM.  Let's see how it goes. 

Wenger is the new Harry Redknapp, swinging big deals on deadline day once again. 

Archived