Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

At least that means we won't sign him.

Also likely means we won't sign anyone of Benteke, who was a miserable failure at Liverpool, goes for 27m + add ons. Wenger is to cheap to pay what's needed to get a top quality striker in. We're less than 2 weeks from end of transfer window and not really a sniff. 

19 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Also likely means we won't sign anyone of Benteke, who was a miserable failure at Liverpool, goes for 27m + add ons. Wenger is to cheap to pay what's needed to get a top quality striker in. We're less than 2 weeks from end of transfer window and not really a sniff. 

I can't believe the situation we find ourselves in. Well, actually, I can. But I'm trying my best not to get wound up by shit outside of my control. For the first time in my life, I'm almost hoping we have a terrible season. Because that's the only thing that will get rid of the abominable fucking albatross that's flapping about our football club.

Wenger has turned the Arsenal into a laughing stock, and a convenient mechanism to allow other players to screw better contracts out of their clubs. He has to go.

57 minutes ago, Notone said:

Good business for Liverpool.

Palace paid way too much for Benteke imo. I am pretty sure they could have found a similar player for less money some place in Europe. But it's the EPL, so what can one do?

£27m is not a huge amount these days. I'm not so sure Palace could have found an alternative in Europe who would be that much cheaper. Everyone knows English clubs are flush with cash and I'm sure the price tag goes up as soon as an English club comes calling.

Think Benteke will do much better at Palace provided he can stay fit. He will be the focal point and Palace's style of play should suit him better. If rumours are true and Palace are also looking to do a deal, either permanent or loan, for Loic Remy as well then this could turn out to be a very good transfer window for them.

19 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I can't believe the situation we find ourselves in. Well, actually, I can. But I'm trying my best not to get wound up by shit outside of my control. For the first time in my life, I'm almost hoping we have a terrible season. Because that's the only thing that will get rid of the abominable fucking albatross that's flapping about our football club.

Wenger has turned the Arsenal into a laughing stock, and a convenient mechanism to allow other players to screw better contracts out of their clubs. He has to go.

Yea I agree, especially about using us to get new contracts. Players have been doing it for a few years now. Really tiresome.

Definitelt not going to worry about this season in terms of how we do. I have zero expectations since I don't actually think we will do well.

49 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Also likely means we won't sign anyone of Benteke, who was a miserable failure at Liverpool, goes for 27m + add ons.

Miserable failure is overstating it a bit, he still got into double figures for goals while largely being a fringe player in a team not playing in a style suited to his game. When he was playing in a side geared towards his strengths he was a one in two striker in English football surrounded by an otherwise pretty awful attacking side. The tv money has obviously inflated his price somewhat but there aren't a lot of proven goalscorers readily available.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Miserable failure is overstating it a bit, he still got into double figures for goals while largely being a fringe player in a team not playing in a style suited to his game. When he was playing in a side geared towards his strengths he was a one in two striker in English football surrounded by an otherwise pretty awful attacking side. The tv money has obviously inflated his price somewhat but there aren't a lot of proven goalscorers readily available.

Maybe miserable is too strong a word but he's definitely a failure. When you buy a player for 30m+ then sell him within 12 months, that generally constitutes a failure. But you recouped most of the money and for that, I say congrats. Lord knows Arsenal buys players who have never lived up to their hype and keeps them around forever.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The Benteke deal is a good outcome for all involved.

Agreed.

A failure, for sure, but he'll always have the Liverpool memory of that incredible overhead strike against United  :D

He should do well at Palace.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

Maybe miserable is too strong a word but he's definitely a failure. When you buy a player for 30m+ then sell him within 12 months, that generally constitutes a failure.

I don't think anyone's going to argue that he didn't fail, but it was one of those where you could clearly see the reasons and he did well enough considering. Wasn't like a Falcao or Torres where he just went to shit.

Benteke should be a good deal for Pardew, they both have large runs of games where they do well and then runs where they don't. Suit each other.

26 minutes ago, StefCurry said:

Arsene Wenger's transfer politics. Won't sign Mustafi for 30-35 and now concentrated on Gimenez from Atletico, who's price is much more that german player...
I just can't understand it.

In some ways I can understand Wengers problems. He gets quoted £60m for a striker who can't get in the french team behind Giroud. Paying £30m for Mustafi is a huge amount of money too when essentially he has a number of defenders but none available. 

The real problem at Arsenal is why his players keep getting injured, why he rushes them back in, why are the so weak physically and mentally. 

4 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Benteke should be a good deal for Pardew, they both have large runs of games where they do well and then runs where they don't. Suit each other.

In some ways I can understand Wengers problems. He gets quoted £60m for a striker who can't get in the french team behind Giroud. Paying £30m for Mustafi is a huge amount of money too when essentially he has a number of defenders but none available. 

The real problem at Arsenal is why his players keep getting injured, why he rushes them back in, why are the so weak physically and mentally. 

Think about this. Do players have no desire to go to Arsenal? I'm pretty sure they won't be able to fight for title this season and they going to fail Champions League again.

12 hours ago, Notone said:

Good business for Liverpool.

Palace paid way too much for Benteke imo. I am pretty sure they could have found a similar player for less money some place in Europe. But it's the EPL, so what can one do?

Serious question: can you name me a similar player?

Substantial experience in the EPL, established international, good goalscoring record, good physical and technical characteristics, 25 or under, currently available for under £30m?

No names are coming to my mind right now.

Archived