Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

1 minute ago, Raja said:

Seemed a pretty blantant dive there by Shaw. Pity. 

I don't know, it looked like Classie made some contact to me. Regardless he tried to foul Shaw, which was pretty stupid considering there were 2 other defenders in front of him.

It looked like Clasie did some weird little hack after Shaw was past and made some contact with his trailing leg.  Brainless thing to do.

Southampton don't look at all convincing near goal.  They've had a few promising situations but fluffed the final shot or pass.  I hope for their sake it's just early season rust.

9 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Redmond is shite. So many poor passes and decisions.

Nah, he's not had the greatest game but he's a solid player. He'll do well for them.

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm pleasantly surprised at the attacking formation and style that Mourinho has adopted.

I like it, and we're improving game-by-game so far.

The key, at the moment, is keeping the full-backs involved. When they're breaking past we look very dangerous even if they're not directly involved.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Gangliest midfield ever?

2 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Night of the Long Knives Limbs

:lol:

On an unrelated note, it's beyond galling nice to see Zlatan showing how a bit of courage in the transfer market can reap huge dividends. The man is a phenomenon. If he stays fit, I wouldn't bet against him getting the golden boot this season.

Very pleased with that performance. And very good early signs from Mourinho, not just that he's lining up very attacking but us going 1-0 up is not to sit back and hold on to it but take the opportunity of the other side getting a bit more attacking to try and give them a hooning. If we keep at this sort of tactic, I can see us handing out a few beatings as things begin to click together.

Remains to be seen how he'll react to the first setbacks, but it's a good start.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

:lol:

On an unrelated note, it's beyond galling nice to see Zlatan showing how a bit of courage in the transfer market can reap huge dividends. The man is a phenomenon. If he stays fit, I wouldn't bet against him getting the golden boot this season.

I have 20 pounds on just such a thing!

Yeah, I might have missed the leg on the replay. I was mostly looking at Clasie's hand flicking Shaw's shirt. On that note, Shaw looked pretty good. I didn't realize he was that quick. Him and Martial on the left is pretty formidable. Mind you, I still want Jose's United to crash and burn. 

How was Mkhitaryan? I went to sleep at 2-0. 

5 hours ago, Raja said:

On that note, Shaw looked pretty good. I didn't realize he was that quick.

There's a fair chance he's the fastest player in the league, I reckon. Savage acceleration too - it didn't show quite as much yesterday but in the first game it was unreasonable how many times one of his team-mates sold Shaw short with a pass only for him to kind of blur and suddenly be at the ball anyway.

Although I guess that's kind of what happened with the penalty.

On 19.8.2016 at 10:57 AM, mormont said:

Serious question: can you name me a similar player?

Substantial experience in the EPL, established international, good goalscoring record, good physical and technical characteristics, 25 or under, currently available for under £30m?

No names are coming to my mind right now.

Are you trying to sell me a used car?

Goalkeeper under the age of 30 with 60+ caps. 5 Titles, voted 4 times as best goalkeeper in the EPL, made the EPL team of the year twice. So there should really be a huge number of clubs in the market for Joe Hart.

Anyway what I wanted to say is, phrased the right way you can make most players sound like a decent acquisition. 

Palace bought a forward who had scored 10 goals in 45 appearences last season. Not great numbers for a forward. Furthermore this player was considered a surplus for his old club, and he was either to leave the club or sit on the bench. So 30m for a bench player. The substantial experience in the EPL kinda rules out anybody outside the goldfish tank.

A player who is 25, is a similar player type to Benteke and who was available this transfer window was Anthony Ujah. 66 games 21 goals for Köln and 30 games 11 goals for Bremen over the course of the last three seasons was decent, given those were not exactly top clubs. Köln's Anthony Modeste whom Palace very likely could have lured away with less money. He just came of 15 goals in 34 games season.  He is a bit older, since he is already 28. Swansea's new acquisition Borja Baston came off an 18 goals in 36 games season in Spain, and he did also cost less than Benteke. And he is also under 25.

And that's just two names outside the EPL I can come up with in less than 5 minutes. 

So really, how exactly was 30m for Benteke reasonable?

Archived