Football - dawn of optimism

Iskaral Pust

Mustafi and Lucas Perez almost confirmed as signings, three points in the bag from the last game....things are looking up for us. We might even manage fourth place again!

The WBA/'Boro game was a pretty dull affair. Neither side looked like getting a goal and the game was largely a war of attrition. 'Boro will be much happier with the point and of the three promoted sides, I'd say they are the best equipped to stay up.

I'm surprised by how much City have improved.  They were always a good side but with mostly the same players they have so much more zip to their play.  We could all see that Yaya was holding them back, but this is a big step forward.  Of course, they have no significant injuries so far other than Kompany and he may never be their defensive anchor again.   Utd and Chelsea have adapted really quickly to new managers too.  What happened to all the opinion pieces that PL players are uncoachable?

It doesn't leave much room for Liverpool at the top but at least the league will be competitive and play better football than recent years. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

The WBA/'Boro game was a pretty dull affair. Neither side looked like getting a goal and the game was largely a war of attrition. 'Boro will be much happier with the point and of the three promoted sides, I'd say they are the best equipped to stay up.

At some point last season I promised myself I would never watch another West Brom game as long as Pubis was manager. What the hell was I thinking? Dreadful game. 

Scary to see David Silva performing as he did a couple seasons ago.  I didn't think West Ham were especially bad, but Man City really came on to them in that first half and deserved the final score line. So much technical skill on that team.  I think I may enjoy watching Man City games this season.  Especially Silva, if he keeps playing the way he did today.  

ETA: Tore was awful again.  Glad we only signed him on loan. 

Also: Zaza.  Love saying his name.  I imagine he won't be taking over pk duties from Mark Noble anytime soon, though. 

11 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

If Zaza takes over penalty duties, West Ham gains in entertainment value. I see no reason not to go for that. 

Football is definitely in the entertainment business, I suppose.  Perhaps you're right. 

Very pleased for Michail Antonio.  He's done well at West Ham since getting his chance last winter. He's also a pretty likable guy, and another of those great footballing stories on the England squad. 

Mark Noble can't be feeling very good right now, though.  Unless his mom becomes England manager, I'd say he doesn't have a better chance of being capped than he does with Big Sam in charge. 

Looks like Joe Hart is moving to Torino on loan. An interesting move, but when the alternative was Sunderland, probably the right one. It is always nice to see British players move abroad. There seems to be a lot more of them this summer than for as long as I can remember - for example Lescott to AEK Athens and Oliver Burke to the admittedly horrible RB Leipzig just in the last couple of days.

The move makes sense. If he stays, he doesn't play, and his place in the England squad is gone. Going to Torino on loan keeps him in the England squad, while giving him time to look for a more glamorous suitable club. Though, one has to assume that Hart knew his fate as soon as Pep was announced. You have to wonder why he hasn't already left.

9 hours ago, Spockydog said:

The move makes sense. If he stays, he doesn't play, and his place in the England squad is gone. Going to Torino on loan keeps him in the England squad, while giving him time to look for a more glamorous suitable club. Though, one has to assume that Hart knew his fate as soon as Pep was announced. You have to wonder why he hasn't already left.

If I remember correctly, there were news of Hart and his representatives being angry at City's board and Pep for not telling him to look for another club earlier. That would suggest Pep didn't eliminate him from the squad from the get go or Hart just didn't want to believe losing his starting position is an option.

10 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Jack Wilshere's not having a very good week. Big Sam doesn't want him. And neither does Wenger.

It'll be good for him. We'll then also be able to see whether his misfortunes were due to the Arsenal injury curse, or just Wilshere being made of the same substance that Abou Diaby was made out of.

1 minute ago, Jeor said:

It'll be good for him. We'll then also be able to see whether his misfortunes were due to the Arsenal injury curse, or just Wilshere being made of the same substance that Abou Diaby was made out of.

Yeah he needs to pick a team that don't seem to pick up injuries. Leicester would be good I think! The Wenger injury curse isn't a coincidence. I'm surprised Arsenal aren't being sued on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

It'll be good for him. 

Didn't he break his ankle or something? That's a tough injury, tbh.

We have 6 MF including Wilshere, so *maybe* it's the right move? I'd like to have an option to bring him back in Jan. Also, it seems like Gnabry could leave too - that I wouldn't want. 

I thought Spurs did some very good business by buying Wanyama and Janssen, but now I'm surprised that they have sold or are reportedly trying to sell Mason, Chadli, Son, Bentaleb, and possibly others.  They were pretty fortunate with injuries in recent seasons but they could be short of back-up at this rate, especially at FB and attacking midfielders/forwards.  

Archived