The Tragically Hip - A National Celebration in Canada

kairparavel

Anyone in Kingston at the show? Anyone at a viewing party? I couldn't find one here in DC so MC and I are going to watch the stream on YouTube hooked up to the tv. I'm in my Hip tshirt and I'm going to do my best to celebrate and not cry. 

Courage for Gord.

That was a lot, last night. Gord seemed like he was struggling early on, but the break and suit change brought a renewal of sorts. They played for Canada, and they played for their hometown and they played for themselves. And Gord used his potentially last time in the spotlight to both endorse the Prime Minister and hold his feet to the fire. I was commiserating with Sis Who Swears on Facebook, and a lot of my friends back in Ottawa. When Grace, Too started I was under some kind of panic that this was it - it was all over. Then they came back for the third set. I was glad it ended on Ahead by a Century. I'm still processing it all. Was a little teary when I woke up to messages from Angalin showing Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam giving a shout out to The Hip during their show in Chicago. 

All I know is that we citizens of a nation were probably the most together we've ever been, no matter where in the world we were, and that's a pretty amazing gift Gord and Rob and Johnny and Paul and Gord have given us.

Last night was the most Canadian of experiences I have had since '72. I had someone close to me die of brain cancer 27 years ago. I spent last night and this morning thinking about her. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted to experience this very Canadian event, but it turned out that I got exceedingly drunk and high at a not-very-local brewery/hop farm that night and woke up in a hammock covered in my own blood instead.  

I feel as though Gord would forgive me.  Gord is Love.  

Archived