Kindle Unlimited recommendations

C.T. Phipps

What the title says.

Anyone have any recommendations for books available on Kindle Unlimited?

I swear by it as both an author (My Supervillainy Saga and Straight Outta Fangton novels are KU) and reader but am always looking for new ones.

The Light is the Darkness by Laird Barron.

The blurb:

Conrad Navarro is a champion of the Pageant, a gruesome modern day gladiatorial exhibition held in secret arenas across the globe. Indentured by a cabal of ultra-rich patrons, his world is one of blood and mayhem, an existence where savagery reigns supreme while mercy leads to annihilation. 

Conrad's sister has vanished while traveling in Mexico. Imogene, a decorated special agent for the FBI, was hot on the trail of a legendary scientist whose vile eugenics experiments landed him on an international most-wanted list. Imogene left behind a sequence of bizarre clues that indicate she uncovered evidence of a Byzantine occult conspiracy against civilization itself -- a threat so vast and terrible, its ultimate fruition would herald an event more inimical to all terrestrial life than mere extinction. 

Now, Conrad is on the hunt, searching for his missing sister while malign forces seek to manipulate and destroy him by turns. It is an odyssey that will send this man of war from the lush jungles of South America, to the debauched court of an Aegean Prince, to the blasted moonscape of the American desert as he becomes inexorably enmeshed within a web of primordial evil that stretches back unto prehistory. All the while struggling to maintain a vestige of humanity; for Conrad has gazed into an abyss where the light is the darkness, and he has begun the metamorphosis into something more than human.

It's really hard to find good reading in Kindle Unlimited. That said, give Henchgirl (Rita Stradling) a try. The author deserves better than self-pub but is still wandering the low-price Kindle self-pub wilderness. It's kind of a YA-Mafia-BodiceRipper mashup. If you speak Spanish, Kiersten White has one Spanish-language (presumably translated) book on Unlimited. 

While searching to find anything by a decent author, I see that Tim Power's Last Call is just $0.99. Buy it.

Grimnoir is something I just checked out on Amazon.com.

We'll see if it's any good.

My latest Kindle Unlimited release, Cthulhu Armageddon, is a Weird West post-apocalypse novel set after Cthulhu destroys the world.

Ultimately, getting publishers to experiment with KU is hard but I've encouraged all three of my publishers to do it.

So far, two have bitten but only reluctantly.

Love this thread.  I tend to go with cheap thrillers and pr0n on KU, I would be DELIGHTED to get some good recs.  Phipps, I just pulled yours.  

Can I suggest the Casquette Girls?  It's a YA vampire novel set in post-Katrina New Orleans.  She gets some stuff wrong about where the worst damage was, but paints a decent picture of life for the people who came back early.  Especially around the quarter.

Awesome Lily, I hope you enjoy. Casquette Girls sounds right up my alley too.

:)

And to keep going:

The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern

Fae: The Wyld Hunt (Riven Wyrde vol 1) by Graham Austen King (YA which gets really really adult). The other two Riven Wyrde books are Kindle Unlimited too. Basically it's about the return of the fae to a fantasy world and the human resistance to it.

SNAFU: Future Warfare Lots and lots of crazy sci-fi and fantasy war stories.

Those Poor Poor Dead Bastards (Dead West 1#). A young half-Native American girl and her dad versus an army of zombies summoned by the Devil.

The Ten Thousand Things (Dead West 2#) The sequel thereof or, "Reno the Undead Necropolis."

Time of Death by Shana Festa: A hilarious zombie apocalypse story about a nurse and her dog surviving with their optimism intact.

Time of Death 2 by Shana Festa: The sequel which, sadly, ends on a cliffhanger due to the Permuted Press kerfuffle.

Zombies Attack! by Devan Sagliani: A half-Japanese teenager and his child star girlfriend travel California looking for a safe haven. YA. Its sequels are KU too.

I also recommend Undead L.A. by him.

The Adventures of Braineater Jones: A Noir zombie detective investigates a hate crime against his people in the 1940s.  Get this. Just...it's hilarious.

Hunter of the Dead:  By the same man who did Braineater Jones. A vampire hunter is stalking the Thirteenth Houses and has them all running scared.

Ooooooh!  Goodies!

I just realized both of K Eason's books are out for KU.  READ THEM.

https://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Bones-Gods-Book-1-ebook/dp/B016WM6ME2/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1472332869&sr=1-4&keywords=k+eason

Character driven fantasy.  Unusual style, atypical characters.  The magic combines nomadic / shaman style with more traditional high fantasy.  None of the characters are woobies.  Well, except maybe the not-viking.  I loved it.  Campbell and Hugo for next year.

Archived