Which non-Great House castle would you want to live in?

James Steller

In the North? Dreadfort - most likely the best castle in the region defencewise.

In Riverlands? Seaguard looks nice and those castle-walls has to be strong. A undamaged Harrenhal is tempting too. The Twins? Meeh, I don´t like the idea with 2 castles.

In The Vale? I have to agree that Runestones closeness to Gulltown is a big factor.

Iron Islands? Ten towers most likely. I didn´t like the description of Hammerhorn.

Crownlands? Rosby or Duskendale maybe. Certainly a place close to the capital at least.

In Westerlands? Silverhill and Crakehall do seem to be situated against the "safer" Reach border. But too far from Lannisport. And Kayce is too close to the ironborn and has been plundered before. Sarsfield maybe?

Stormlands? The Marcher lords should have strong castles. Stonehelm maybe. Then again, Tarth is an island so maybe Evenfall hall. Or maybe Bronzegate due to its closeness to Storms end and Kings landing.

Reach? The Arbor does look nice with island and wines. Maybe Brigthwater Keep due to its closeness to Oldtown.

Dorne? Somewhere not so hot. Yronwood most likely.

Well I guess that castles of great Reach lords don't lag too much behind Highgarden, so any would do, except Hightower, I assume they live in Oldtown fort, which really wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Tarth seems nice too.

2 hours ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

That'd be neat.

I found it, it's called Sandstone and owned by House Qorgyle. Should be pretty much impregnable, plus Oberyn was fostered there. And while it's hot at least there's no supernatural winter.

I would go with the Twins mainly because its actually two castles on both sides of a river which not only makes it badass but also very hard to take. Plus the castle generates income from bridge tolls which has made the Freys very rich and powerful.

On 8/22/2016 at 0:53 PM, John Doe said:

Oddly enough the Dreadfort seems like a nice castle too, apart from its reputation and all that. 

I can see that.  It has the skeleton hands sticking out of the wall to hold torches.  I picture it having an Adam's Family or Munster vibe. 

My choice would be somewhere in Dorne.  Lemonwood might be nice.  It is on the mouth of a river which could be irrigated for orchards and crops.  It is big enough to be a knightly kind of place so likely has lots of staff and infrastructure.  Seafood is probably a big part of the diet there, which I love.  Lots of lemon-cakes and lemonade.  Plenty to like, really.   But one of the most appealing things is hot or warm  weather all year round.  I'm sick of winter.

I was going to say the Arbor, but thinking about it the Twins is actually quite nice without the Freys in it. Very hard to besiege, good source of income, fresh running water and plenty of fish I'd imagine. Evidently has a lot of room given how many kids Old Walder Frey has. Also strong force of bannermen/levies to rely on. 

If I was Lord of the Twins I'd get very friendly with the Mallisters, helping defend them from Ironborn raids. In turn they're my closest allies to help reinforce/resupply me during  a siege from the North (unlikely as it might be).

I'd also buddy up to the Crannogmen, trades and give them stuff. Firstly because I don't want to be shot with a poison arrow and there help would be useful if I was ever besieged from the south. 

Archived