How the Far-Eastern White Walkers were created

Falcon2908

I believe that the White Walkers were created during by the CoTF during a ritual involving a weiwood tree. They were normal humans once, but once they were tied to a weiwood tree and had obsidian penetrated inside them, they turned into white walkers.

So lets assume this was only possible because there were Weirwood Trees in the Haunted Forest. If there were no Weirwood trees in the Haunted Forest Westeros, then there would be no walkers. 

Now lets go back thousands of years ago to Western-Central Essos during the Long Night. It is only mentioned that the Rhoyne RIver had frozen all the way down to the Sellhoru. There were no walkers to the West of the Bone Mountains. You know why there were no walkers? It is because there were no Weirwood Trees in this region.

There used to be a tribe called the Wood Walkers in the Forests of Ifeqevron (They sound like the CoTF), however there were no Weirwood Trees in these forests, as they carved faces into normal, non-weirwood trees. There were no Weiroods so they carved the traditional faces into normal trees instead. Also, I don't think they were bothered much by the human presence there. There used to be only the Ibbenese but I don't think they were a problem to the Wood Walkers. Even if there were threats, they couldn't do anything since there were no Weirwood Trees to create Walkers. Hence this region of Essos had no walkers. 

Some say that the Wood Walkers created the Walkers who attacked the Further East during the Long Night, but why would they attack such a far away place instead of attacking nearby nations such as the Sarnori, etc?

But, east of the Bone Mountains we have had tales and histories of the Walkers attacking this region. The Five Forts were built to stop the flow of the Lion of Light and his demons (walkers) from entering Yi Ti. Do you know where these walkers came from? Yep, that's right: The Forests of Mossovy

Mossovy is a dark haunted forest full of Skinchangers and demon hunters. These Skinchangers could be the Eastern Essosi CoTF. These guys must have been pissed at the ever expanding Great Empire of Dawn killing their people and burning their holy trees and homes. So they decided to take revenge in the same way the Westerosi CoTF did: Making Walkers.

We don't know if there are Weirwood Trees in this part of Essos, but we know very little of the Far East, so it is highly possible that this region contains Weiwoods. How else would Walkers appear in this area?

I don't have the world book (I wish I did!) so I am just speculating here. Is it possible that the Land of Always Winter is connected to Essos in that area and the same White Walkers spread out onto both continents?

8 hours ago, Net-Viper X said:

Is it possible that the Land of Always Winter is connected to Essos in that area and the same White Walkers spread out onto both continents?

George confirmed that they aren't

In our own world's last Ice Age, the polar caps reached the British Islands. It is possible that Planetos's Ice Cap reached Essos's northen coast during the Long Night, and the White Walkers could cross the Narrow Sea on foot.

Most White Walkers would have gone extinct due to climate change, but a few of them could have survived in the heights or the northenmost Bone Mountains and would travel down to the plains during the longest winters.

Very interesting post, highly plausible, however their in situ creation is not absolute,

Spoiler

At Hardhome, with six ships. Wild seas. Blackbird lost with all hands, two Lyseni ships driven aground on Skane, Talon taking water. Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods. Braavosi captains will only take women, children on their ships. Witch women call us slavers. Attempt to take Storm Crow defeated, six crew dead, many wildlings. Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water. Send help by land, seas wracked by storms. From Talon, by hand of Maester Harmune.

This could be another way, that did not involve CoTF in creating them, but instead the Others migrating.

13 hours ago, The Dew said:

Very interesting post, highly plausible, however their in situ creation is not absolute,

Hide contents

At Hardhome, with six ships. Wild seas. Blackbird lost with all hands, two Lyseni ships driven aground on Skane, Talon taking water. Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods. Braavosi captains will only take women, children on their ships. Witch women call us slavers. Attempt to take Storm Crow defeated, six crew dead, many wildlings. Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water. Send help by land, seas wracked by storms. From Talon, by hand of Maester Harmune.

This could be another way, that did not involve CoTF in creating them, but instead the Others migrating.

Dead things in the water could just be wights in the water.

Or maybe cotter pyke mistook the deep ones to be dead.

A thing that intrigued me is this 'grey plague' that is currently running rampant in Yi Ti. Since a  lot of stuff from that region comes to Westeros in a blurred and distorted manner, could that mean that the inhabitants of the Grey Waste are actually invading Yi Ti? Are these dudes wights? Are they turning the yitish into wights? Yi Ti is said to be an empire, but politically VERY fractured, so any rumour coming from the inlands must arrive at the ports in a distorted way. And this 'grey plague' rumour comes from sailors.

On 9/6/2016 at 2:58 AM, King Merrett I Frey said:

A thing that intrigued me is this 'grey plague' that is currently running rampant in Yi Ti. Since a  lot of stuff from that region comes to Westeros in a blurred and distorted manner, could that mean that the inhabitants of the Grey Waste are actually invading Yi Ti? Are these dudes wights? Are they turning the yitish into wights? Yi Ti is said to be an empire, but politically VERY fractured, so any rumour coming from the inlands must arrive at the ports in a distorted way. And this 'grey plague' rumour comes from sailors.

Hmmm very interesting! I want to believe that, but some would argue that Grey Plague is a form of the Grey Scale disease.

8 hours ago, Falcon2908 said:

Hmmm very interesting! I want to believe that, but some would argue that Grey Plague is a form of the Grey Scale disease.

Yep I know. But it is a rumor coming from sailors about a very hermetic nation/empire, so I'm still in doubt about if it's really grey plague and not something else.

• 1 month later...

This is interesting. I think the Essosi version of the COTF is the Old ones we read about in TWOIAF . They are probably in the same situation as the Westerosi Childrens , there numbers are few. 

Just as COTF retreated beyond the Wall i think the Old ones retreated beyond the Five forts . And they are probably hiding on Leng aswell . 

So it's quite possible that the Old ones created some demons in the Grey waste. Wonder where Asshai fits here though , Asshai seems to a fiery place while the Grey waste is a icy frozen place . 

Do we know White Walkers were in the East?

In any case, people should watch the Deadliest Catch, the opelio season is truly amazing the Behring sea freezes and you can watch it happen, see the ice creeping up to boats, small fishing communities and it just races along, it's pretty shocking and incredible.

I can believe the Others freezing seas based solely on what I've seen while watching that incredibly cinematic show.

In the show, children of the forest created others like that, but we do not have any evidence in books yet that others have any connection with weirwood trees. They really may have been created by children of the forest, and before humans appeared in the world, giants and our little green buddies probably lived also in essos as world of ice and fire suggested.

I don't think that to create white walker you simply need to stab human with obsidian while he is tied to weirwood tree. 

23 hours ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

In the show, children of the forest created others like that, but we do not have any evidence in books yet that others have any connection with weirwood trees. They really may have been created by children of the forest, and before humans appeared in the world, giants and our little green buddies probably lived also in essos as world of ice and fire suggested.

I don't think that to create white walker you simply need to stab human with obsidian while he is tied to weirwood tree. 

The First Men have been known to tie people to weirwoods and sacrifice them. I agree that that's probably not how the Others were made, but it's certainly interesting that the imagery is similar there.

Archived