Should Immortals Have to Live on another Planet?

Weeping Sore

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:

No, immortals should not be sent to another planet. 

First of all, you mention nothing of space travelling technologies that would allow the immortals to safely travel and then colonize another planet. If such technologies have not evolved in parallel with the medical wonders of this future, then space travel alone can be a death sentence even to these immortals.

<snip>

Presumably you are referring to the amount of time required for interstellar travel with current technologies? Seems to me that armed with immortality, they'd be the only ones that would be able to survive the trip. Time's what they got plenty of...

8 minutes ago, Quoth said:

Presumably you are referring to the amount of time required for interstellar travel with current technologies? Seems to me that armed with immortality, they'd be the only ones that would be able to survive the trip. Time's what they got plenty of...

No, I'm referring to the dangers of space travel: radiation, micro-asteroids, equipment failures that can lead to disaster etc. And if none of this happens, even immortals can go insane cooked up for so long in a confined space.

Bah. Compared to coming up with Warp Drives or Hyperspace drives, if you prefer, surely what's needed are some minor work arounds? Duct Tape cures tons of ills. And living on earth remains pretty dangerous, too. ;)

So if the Proxima Centauri planet pans out (a big if) and we can get up to 0.1c you're talking 42 years to get there. At 0.5c it's only 8 1/2 years. That's not factoring in acceleration and deceleration - at a constant acceleration of 1G you'd reach 0.1c on the 36th day, 0.5c on the 178th day. So that increases the time somewhat but not considerably. But you'll need an anti-matter drive or something else we haven't conceived of yet.

1 hour ago, Weeping Sore said:

So if the Proxima Centauri planet pans out (a big if) and we can get up to 0.1c you're talking 42 years to get there. At 0.5c it's only 8 1/2 years. That's not factoring in acceleration and deceleration - at a constant acceleration of 1G you'd reach 0.1c on the 36th day, 0.5c on the 178th day. So that increases the time somewhat but not considerably. But you'll need an anti-matter drive or something else we haven't conceived of yet.

And by the time they get there we would have passed a new law stating it's ok for them to be on Earth. :P

Ok, I can definitely see some potential in a bunch of elf-eared immortals living in a giant convention center in Topeka waiting for their launch date. Thanks for the crowd-sourcing of the premise. Hugo award, here I come!

1 hour ago, Weeping Sore said:

Ok, I can definitely see some potential in a bunch of elf-eared immortals living in a giant convention center in Topeka waiting for their launch date. Thanks for the crowd-sourcing of the premise. Hugo award, here I come!

I want an acknowledgment.  And assurance that they will be depicted wearing robes.  Preferably velvet.  Tiaras a plus.

I say deport all of them but the spakly one.  That's my 200 year old girlfriend who looks 16,  is bored by other awesome sparkly immortals and fell madly in love with my saggy middle aged mortal ass.  She's super rich and doesn't have to live in Topeka because she has magic powers.   Also, she doesn't want elf ears thankyouverymuch.

Archived