Do you believe Game of Thrones is the best TV show ever?

No. For me, GoT isn't anywhere near the level of The Wire, Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. Deadwood was on the same level as these top shows despite never finishing.

Mad Men, while ofttimes overrated, was better than GoT. Six Feet Under was better than GoT. Happy Valley here in the UK is better, as was the inconsistent Boardwalk Empire and many others in other countries like the Danish shows The Killing, The Bridge and Borgen.

GoT is somewhere around the level of Dexter. They both have great high points in their favour but just as many extremely low points to their detriment. Had Dexter finished itself in 5 seasons with a different 5th season concluding the story in a better way than it did eventually come to its idiotic end, it could have been on the level of those above.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, I forgot Black Mirror. That's a brilliant, brilliant TV show but probably in a different category being a small collection of single story episodes.

I get your points, but isn't Game of Thrones in its own category. I mean, it is based on book series, whilst Breaking Bad, The Wire etc. are quite closer to what we call TV shows. For me Thrones is in its own category because it consists of different set up compared to the others. All in all, I don't believe we can compare Thrones with any other TV shows because they are different in many ways. 

9 minutes ago, James Christopher Rodgers said:

I get your points, but isn't Game of Thrones in its own category. I mean, it is based on book series, whilst Breaking Bad, The Wire etc. are quite closer to what we call TV shows. For me Thrones is in its own category because it consists of different set up compared to the others. All in all, I don't believe we can compare Thrones with any other TV shows because they are different in many ways. 

That would then render this discussion entirely moot.

I think you can define a tiered level on which any TV drama series stands irrespective of genre/category.

I haven't watched any series other than GOT. I would have believed it is worth the "best show in TV" tag before season 5. But not after season 5. The writing problems in the later two seasons has made a permanent damage to the show that I believe will stop GOT becoming the best show even if later seasons are really good (which I doubt).

Bah ha ha ha ha ha!! Best show ever? Ahh ha ha ha ha!! GoT is not even the best show airing in it's time slot. The only thing the show has going for it is the budget. It may have the best production, set designs, and cgi on television, but it is far from being even an average show, in regards to the writing, never mind being the best. You would think that a show spending ten million dollars an episode would be able to afford to hire at least one competent writer. But alas, d$d's ego won't allow for that.

I think that GoT once had the potential to be one of the best shows ever, but the quality of the show has declined exponentially since the first season, and in the last two seasons has degenerated into one of the worst shows on television.

I think if you look at it strictly from a show-only perspective, then yeah, it's up there. But a lot of people read the books and they will argue that it's shit. 

Personally, GoT is top 5 for me. I'm not sure what my order would be, but it's definitely up there. Great show. 

Its all a matter of opinion and preference, to most book readers it will never live up to the books and to non-book readers it will seem like something on par with the Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

I began with the TV show I'll admit and didn't delve into the books until after I had already binged the first 3 seasons a few years ago, but to me it is my favorite show....ever. Even though it hasn't reached its full potential the show is still much better than most of the crap on TV these days... *cough*the*cough*walking*cough*dead*cough*

55 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

If you think GOT is a great show if you only watched the show than it is a great show.  That it does not fully live up to people vis-a-vis the book is not the show 's problem.

I partially agree. I thought it was a good show when I had only watched the first 4 seasons and hadn't read the books.

But if I hadn't read the books and become interested in ASOIAF I'd still have been disappointed of the drop:(. And still I am because I'd like it to be better written like in the old days.

Archived