Do you believe Game of Thrones is the best TV show ever?

21 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes....I had been waiting for it for years. I don't like Meereen at all, neither in the books nor in the show and I always wanted her to leave Essos because of that city. I can't stand Meereen. I was watching the scene, very climatic...and then....what is Varys doing there? 

I was also disappointed for not doing LSH and The Frey Pies was also a big disappointment so Varys there teleported was the last straw, honestly. 

for me was totally out of character. I woudl rate it 2/10, because she killed Walder. If Hot Pie had taught her...maybe 3/10. LOLs

That scene....I don't want to remember it either!

I understand that many people might not like Bran, just as I don't like Tyrion much but I think he deserves his own story, he is my favourite male character. At least he had some story this season not like s5 where he didnt even appear at all.

So by it self not an issue but with others things you do not like it, alright.

Everyone story has been cut down or simplified on the show. It is not if a character is like but how they function within the story being done for TV.

39 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think that when someone is going to kill you the way Ramsay was going to, the most reasonable thing is not going straight. That was my first thought.

I enjoyed the battle, particularly the moments with the horses. I like battles.

But I would have preferred more moving scenes, and less sadism. Remembering Rickon.....and less predictability.

You are not thinking though.  You are  on adrenaline and primal instinct which is to run as fast as you can.  You are also exposing yourself to more arrows since you are taking more time to go across the field.

Was Serpentine used in Movies in the past few years? I recall it from the 70s version of the comedy the In-Laws but I doubt that is what people referencing when it is being discussed.

7 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

So by it self not an issue but with others things you do not like it, alright.

Everyone story has been cut down or simplified on the show. It is not if a character is like but how they function within the story being done for TV.

Exactly, it was the "teleporting", the fact that it was odd to see him there after being in Dorne some days or weeks before. I don't see the point of that and it's strange to move around the world just to be in the "photo".

In the concept art works for S6 some artist drew the scenes and the last one didn't include Varys, just Dany and Tyrion.

http://www.kbelshaw.com/

with better writing/more writers or supervision they would have known it had a bad effect.

You are not thinking though.  You are  on adrenaline and primal instinct which is to run as fast as you can.  You are also exposing yourself to more arrows since you are taking more time to go across the field.

Was Serpentine used in Movies in the past few years? I recall it from the 70s version of the comedy the In-Laws but I doubt that is what people referencing when it is being discussed.

I don't know...that was my first thought. But I think Rickon knew Ramsay was the only one wanting to hunt him. Anyway, he and us knew he was going to die.

4 hours ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

I loved the Sopranos ending. It made you pay attention and think. 

I even liked Lost's ending, even though Eko should've been at the alter before Christian arrived.

The last two seasons of GoT had too much nonsense and contradictions and character assassinations...I think it's on par with Dexter's drop (Because I still think guys like Stevenson and Hanks were very well acted, just like here.) only it has epic battles and moments scattered about to make up for it slightly. Hold the door is one of my favorite moments in the show period. 

I just never got into "Dexter" (saw one arc that began the John Lithgow character but had domestic drama going on and had to stop).

I'm hard-pressed to think of great book-to-screen adaptations in long form. Certainly "Lonesome Dove" and "Roots" captured the heart and soul of the story, but they were only a single season. "Band of Brothers" is a masterpiece and went well beyond Ambrose's excellent book, but again, short. LotR on the big screen was all I'd hoped, but it's a movie series. I like "Outlander," but I haven't read the books, so I can't say how it works as adaptation.

In making the transition to TV, though, I think GoT has failed of late. The show runners have chosen shock over coherence, and it's become a visual fireworks show: You can't stop looking, but it's impossible to tell anyone what the hell just happened.

22 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Exactly, it was the "teleporting", the fact that it was odd to see him there after being in Dorne some days or weeks before. I don't see the point of that and it's strange to move around the world just to be in the "photo".

In the concept art works for S6 some artist drew the scenes and the last one didn't include Varys, just Dany and Tyrion.

http://www.kbelshaw.com/

with better writing/more writers or supervision they would have known it had a bad effect.

I don't know...that was my first thought. But I think Rickon knew Ramsay was the only one wanting to hunt him. Anyway, he and us knew he was going to die.

With ships from the Reach and Dorne I just did not see it as a big deal. An opinion in the end.

1 minute ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

With ships from the Reach and Dorne I just see it a big deal. An opinion in the end.

yes......but Olenna isn't there, nor Ellaria.

why would Varys travelbto Essos again to go to Westeros (possibly Dorne) after?

it is just for the pic. We already know they are allies now. it's not that they have to renind us of that every 5 minutes creating plotholes and anticlimatic scenes......

just my opinion too and the feeling I got from that. There was even a thread about that not so long ago.

49 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

yes......but Olenna isn't there, nor Ellaria.

why would Varys travelbto Essos again to go to Westeros (possibly Dorne) after?

it is just for the pic. We already know they are allies now. it's not that they have to renind us of that every 5 minutes creating plotholes and anticlimatic scenes......

just my opinion too and the feeling I got from that. There was even a thread about that not so long ago.

I would not expect Olenna or Ellaria to be there.

Varys is Dany emissary and he will be meeting her for the first time and being part of Robert's Small Council could have some lingering suspicion.  Showing up with a whole bunch of ships is an awesome present in those manners.

Considering that sending ships to and from Mereen will be the same time. I do not see why not go to finally meet the person you been secretly supporting sooner then delay just because you are going back and forth is weak motivation to just stay in Dorne.

8 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

If you think GOT is a great show if you only watched the show than it is a great show.  That it does not fully live up to people vis-a-vis the book is not the show 's problem.

9 hours ago, Ruhail said:

No, expensive production value alone doesnt make a great show.

As I said, I have read all 7 books (UK edition) and yeah if we compare the books to the show, the show is crap. However, we should look GoT on its own.

7 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Outside wanting to see there first meeting I have no issue with Varys with Dany. We also show ships from the Tyrells and Martells and I enjoy that a lot.

I am not into Frey Pies that much in either medium but it was received well.

People were waiting for Bran to be an exposition machine.

Tyrion is still funny so just do not agree.

I agree with you mate, Bran is so underestimated in the show. In the books, Bran is maybe the most important character to the storyline due to his warning abilities. In the show, Bran has turned into a flashback machine. Those that have watched only the show, don't even understand his significance, what they care about is R+L=J. Most of the TV runners didn't even know about the R+L=J before S06.

10 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I would not expect Olenna or Ellaria to be there.

Varys is Dany emissary and he will be meeting her for the first time and being part of Robert's Small Council could have some lingering suspicion.  Showing up with a whole bunch of ships is an awesome present in those manners.

Considering that sending ships to and from Mereen will be the same time. I do not see why not go to finally meet the person you been secretly supporting sooner then delay just because you are going back and forth is weak motivation to just stay in Dorne.

Being an emissary or not Ellaria and Olenna are now at the same level as Varys (I won't mention that Varys supported the idea of Robert to kill her because I suppose now this has to be forgotten and now they are allies and maybe he secretly always wanted Dany in the show-_-).

So analysing the objective things: if Varys said "Fire and Blood" it is pretty consistent to say that the viewers already know he is Dany's ally. He doesn't have to show up in Meereen again, like Olenna doesn't.

He didn't show up in s5 when Tyrion met Dany...why should he appear now? But, most importantly...why should he appear, precisely the same day Daenerys is going to Westeros? Tyrion knows Varys was going in a diplomatic mission to have more supporters. Did he just brought up the banners with him? Why not Olenna too? 

In an ideal world, an emissary would return to confirm they have more supporters but GOT is a simplification of that. Furthermore, Varys have Littlebirds everywhere to confirm this. He has an status and doesn't need that too. I don't know if birds would work, but in this world there are precedents. Apart from that, GOT confirmed this with "Fire and Blood" and last but not least, Dany was going to Westeros regardless of Tyrion's and Vary's searchings of supports, because in Dany+Tyrion conversation they didn't talk about having more supporters.

So, considering that Sam and The IronBorn spent half a season to arrive to Westeros, it's a bit strange to see Varys there, after what should have been a long, tiring trip to Dorne, to do it again.....two times more.

38 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Being an emissary or not Ellaria and Olenna are now at the same level as Varys (I won't mention that Varys supported the idea of Robert to kill her because I suppose now this has to be forgotten and now they are allies and maybe he secretly always wanted Dany in the show-_-).

So analysing the objective things: if Varys said "Fire and Blood" it is pretty consistent to say that the viewers already know he is Dany's ally. He doesn't have to show up in Meereen again, like Olenna doesn't.

He didn't show up in s5 when Tyrion met Dany...why should he appear now? But, most importantly...why should he appear, precisely the same day Daenerys is going to Westeros? Tyrion knows Varys was going in a diplomatic mission to have more supporters. Did he just brought up the banners with him? Why not Olenna too? 

In an ideal world, an emissary would return to confirm they have more supporters but GOT is a simplification of that. Furthermore, Varys have Littlebirds everywhere to confirm this. He has an status and doesn't need that too. I don't know if birds would work, but in this world there are precedents. Apart from that, GOT confirmed this with "Fire and Blood" and last but not least, Dany was going to Westeros regardless of Tyrion's and Vary's searchings of supports, because in Dany+Tyrion conversation they didn't talk about having more supporters.

So, considering that Sam and The IronBorn spent half a season to arrive to Westeros, it's a bit strange to see Varys there, after what should have been a long, tiring trip to Dorne, to do it again.....two times more.

Alright, it bother you I get it.  Arguing that an Elderly woman make thousands of miles journey is getting preposterous. 

I do not see a problem with Varys returning.  Tyrion+Dany could of be well after Varys littlebirds came back with word of meet up.  It could of also included where to meet up for the fleets to come.  I am alright with these and do not need more time for it.  I will be more pleased if they have solid scene next season then a throw away hello scene.

I do not get hung up on journey timeline for in the end everyone shows up when they intend to be and at the moment they are to be. I am pleased the story to be moving along.

I am ok thinking when Sam and Gilly showed at the Citadel is sometime before other events from the episode.  

Hell no.  It is one of the best shows ever from a technical aspect (casting, costuming, tv effects, etc), but it has gotten to the point where it is laughably bad from a writing standpoint, which is the most important thing for me personally.  

Sadly, I think the success of early seasons have lead people to praise the taste of the piss that D&D are giving them as true arbor gold, just because they're really good at using food coloring to make it look the part.

12 minutes ago, lancerman said:

IMO Sopranos is the best show ever. Each episode felt like a cinematic experience and had a different feel and it mixed genres the best.

Game of Thrones is the most ambitious show ever and is quite successful at it. 

It depends on how you define ambitious. In terms of ambitious production, casting, and locations, yes. In terms of writing (including plotting, dialogue etc), cinematography, music/sound usage, thematic development/symbolism, it isn't even a top 50 show ever.

People get caught up in the scale of Game of Thrones. That isn't how the quality of a show should be mentioned. They can afford to do all this amazing CGI and have the incredible production values because 1. the show demands it and 2. they have the money.

23 minutes ago, mafro987daboss said:

It depends on how you define ambitious. In terms of ambitious production, casting, and locations, yes. In terms of writing (including plotting, dialogue etc), cinematography, music/sound usage, thematic development/symbolism, it isn't even a top 50 show ever.

People get caught up in the scale of Game of Thrones. That isn't how the quality of a show should be mentioned. They can afford to do all this amazing CGI and have the incredible production values because 1. the show demands it and 2. they have the money.

Writing is writing. I'd say it's pretty smbitious just trying to write a show based on these books in the confines of a 10 episode a season structure. Some hack could have just went scene for scene from the book without accounting for the effect of the onscreen translation, and it could have been the most meandering mess ever and not lasted a season. More people would have failed than succeeded in that regard. Especially for a series that has expanded at an exponential pace.

Music has been well received. Cinematography has generally been good, exceptional in some cases, and on a scale that had rivaled films in the most notable cars. 

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Some hack could have just went scene for scene from the book without accounting for the effect of the onscreen translation, and it could have been the most meandering mess ever 

Uhh, this is exactly what we did get.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Writing is writing. I'd say it's pretty smbitious just trying to write a show based on these books in the confines of a 10 episode a season structure. Some hack could have just went scene for scene from the book without accounting for the effect of the onscreen translation, and it could have been the most meandering mess ever and not lasted a season. More people would have failed than succeeded in that regard. Especially for a series that has expanded at an exponential pace.

Music has been well received. Cinematography has generally been good, exceptional in some cases, and on a scale that had rivaled films in the most notable cars. 

But before you said it was the most ambitious show ever, and judging by your paragraph ("pretty ambitious", "generally been good", "well received" etc) it's simply not true. There have definitely been plenty of shows that have hit writing, cinematography, music etc better than GOT in terms of combining innovation/originality AND 'watchability'  at the same time.

GRRM insisted that the show is not the books, the show is based on the books and it's not the books

we can't compare the books with the show, the books are a masterpiece

for someone who didn't read the books like me, I find the show compared to other shows a good one but nothing is perfect in this world

I disagree with the idea that S6 was trash, other than the story of Tyrion the season was a solid one

10 hours ago, James Christopher Rodgers said:

I agree with you mate, Bran is so underestimated in the show. In the books, Bran is maybe the most important character to the storyline due to his warning abilities. In the show, Bran has turned into a flashback machine. Those that have watched only the show, don't even understand his significance, what they care about is R+L=J. Most of the TV runners didn't even know about the R+L=J before S06.

I hope we get to see mor eof him next season

Archived