Do you believe Game of Thrones is the best TV show ever?

Nope, it's "The Sopranos," still, for me. It's been nine years and people are STILL talking about the ending. 

I don't think the last two seasons are going to hold up well over time, and that's unfortunate. It's become "Lost," racing to a conclusion and leaving countless unresolved questions in its wake.

The books are easily some of the best I've ever read.  In fact, the series probably IS the best I've ever read.

I probably like about 90 percent of what they did on the show, and it's easily the best book-to-show, or book-to-movie, adaptation I've ever seen.  Easily the best adaptation, nothing else is even close.

So, i"ve got a book series I LOVE, which has been adapted to live action better than anything I've ever seen resulting in a product that I'm probably about 90 percent satisified with.

Final Grade:  A plus, Game of Thrones is the best drama t.v. show ever, to me.

32 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Nope, it's "The Sopranos," still, for me. It's been nine years and people are STILL talking about the ending. 

I don't think the last two seasons are going to hold up well over time, and that's unfortunate. It's become "Lost," racing to a conclusion and leaving countless unresolved questions in its wake.

I loved the Sopranos ending. It made you pay attention and think. 

I even liked Lost's ending, even though Eko should've been at the alter before Christian arrived.

The last two seasons of GoT had too much nonsense and contradictions and character assassinations...I think it's on par with Dexter's drop (Because I still think guys like Stevenson and Hanks were very well acted, just like here.) only it has epic battles and moments scattered about to make up for it slightly. Hold the door is one of my favorite moments in the show period. 

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I partially agree. I thought it was a good show when I had only watched the first 4 seasons and hadn't read the books.

But if I hadn't read the books and become interested in ASOIAF I'd still have been disappointed of the drop:(. And still I am because I'd like it to be better written like in the old days.

I do not think the show should have a different standard of being from the source material since show like the Sopranos and The Wire are original for TV.

I find the talk of the drop in quality to be overblown. Especially considering BoTB and TWOW are consider two of the best episodes of the series if not overall.

12 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I do not think the show should have a different standard of being from the source material since show like the Sopranos and The Wire are original for TV.

I find the talk of the drop in quality to be overblown. Especially considering BoTB and TWOW are consider two of the best episodes of the series if not overall.

I noticed that drop and I felt disappointed because I used to like it a lot. Some friends (only viewers) have noticed it too, to the point of saying:

"I used to wait every week for that and now I don't....it's not the same"

and regarding these two episodes that same friend said

"tbotb is the only episode I have liked from the season".

imo these two episodes are overrated. they have good moments but the script of tbotb is very simple andnsome scenes from Winds come out of nowhere.

24 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

And what is it that made those two episodes so popular? Funny how those were two of the most expensive episodes to make. I consider them to be two of the worst episodes of the series, but a large portion of the viewers are blinded by the cash injected into them, which masks the ridiculously incoherent, and sub par writing.

Popular does not equal quality.

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I noticed that drop and I felt disappointed because I used to like it a lot. Some friends (only viewers) have noticed it too, to the point of saying:

"I used to wait every week for that and now I don't....it's not the same"

and regarding these two episodes that same friend said

"tbotb is the only episode I have liked from the season".

imo these two episodes are overrated. they have good moments but the script of tbotb is very simple andnsome scenes from Winds are out of nowhere.

S6 was being well praised from E1-E5 and got very negative until the final two episodes.

I understand the issues with Arya's Bravoos end but too much I found of complaints being that people theories were not happening (and that will be those from the TV as well), and a lot of good stuff was just ignored.

In a funny way, Ellaria Sand and the pissed off Umber Jr guy did in the series what they would metaphorically do to part of the audience. The romantic, die hard fans of Dorne died with Doran and the romantic, die hard fans of the North lost their minds with shaggydog.

19 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

S6 was being well praised from E1-E5 and got very negative until the final two episodes.

I understand the issues with Arya's Bravoos end but too much I found of complaints being that people theories were not happening (and that will be those from the TV as well), and a lot of good stuff was just ignored.

Maybe I am against the general opinion, LOL.

I consider the first 4 episodes bad (except for Bran's scenes).

I can only agree that the 5th one is  good (except for Summer's treatment).

Episodes 6,7,8 to be acceptable and not the worst at all. Bravoos ending was "good" compared to the stick stuff. At least it had some action (of course one has to imagine that Arya has superpowers but at this point better not care about that:crying:) and the threatre troupe was refreshing for the story.

The last two ones are good for cinematography elements (The Battle is well shot, I liked the music of Winds of Winter and a few scenes related to Cersei falling to madness) but they are not outstanding at all, because they made huge failures: putting Varys in the final-climax scene, Arya's Frey Pies was horribly done, Bran was just an exposition machine, everyone forgot about him being the heir, Dorne was horribly done in the finale (even at the same level than the Pilot), etc.

Anyway, IMO s6 was much better than s5 but there's no comparison to the previous seasons. Tyrion used to be funny and now it's "funny" to remember he used to be funny, just to put an example of bad writing.

26 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

And what is it that made those two episodes so popular? Funny how those were two of the most expensive episodes to make. I consider them to be two of the worst episodes of the series, but a large portion of the viewers are blinded by the cash injected into them, which masks the ridiculously incoherent, and sub par writing.

Well, obviously we should all bow to your superior insight and ability not to be taken in.:rolleyes:

Popularity does not equal quality but the show is very highly praised by critics and that is ignore so people can make statements like yours.

50 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Well, obviously we should all bow to your superior insight and ability not to be taken in.:rolleyes:

Popularity does not equal quality but the show is very highly praised by critics and that is ignore so people can make statements like yours.

I think the Battle of The Bastards is quite popular because it had a lot of budget and technically was really well done IMO. But the script failed. Everyone agreed, in the critics, that the plot was predictable, and Rickon's moving not in zigzag was something I read everywhere in the reviews, even the actor didn't know how to respond why made him run that way.....

I agree that popular does not equal quality. But there was quality in the special effects and one knows they put a lot of effort (different groups of people, like training the horses) to make it visually compelling. That doesn't mean is a good one. Some poeple might like this type of thing (especially if they like battles), but others prefers political intrigue and good dialogue or character development. I prefer the latter, but I also like Battles. But this one was boring and predicatble in terms of script. Good in terms of pure entertainment.

ETA: I prefer the battle of s4 because it was more moving, for instance. It made me feel something. This one ...I knew what was going to happen. Well, I didn't know Ramsay would be eaten by his dogs but everyone knew he would die. In terms of moving.....I was sad for Rickon and Jon, the actors played it quite well, but then when they forgot about Rickon (only a sentence) and focused on Ramsay, I was disappointed. In S4 Jon doesn't forget Ygritte and the men (his friends) who had fought in the Door, for instance. Rickon was his lost brother...what about Sansa's feelings for Rickon? Nothing

1 hour ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Well, those are your words, not mine. I can assure you that my opinion on the matter does not make me feel superior to anyone else, regardless of their opinion.

Right, and money has no effect what so ever on the critics. Next you'll be telling me that the Emmys are not influenced by money and politics either. The fact of the matter is, I could have told you at the beginning of the season, before episode 1 was even aired, that episode 9 would be one of the highest rated episodes ever. And I guarantee you that the episode in season 7, which is allotted the highest budget, will garner the highest ratings of the season as well.

19 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Maybe I am against the general opinion, LOL.

I consider the first 4 episodes bad (except for Bran's scenes).

I can only agree that the 5th one is  good (except for Summer's treatment).

Episodes 6,7,8 to be acceptable and not the worst at all. Bravoos ending was "good" compared to the stick stuff. At least it had some action (of course one has to imagine that Arya has superpowers but at this point better not care about that:crying:) and the threatre troupe was refreshing for the story.

The last two ones are good for cinematography elements (The Battle is well shot, I liked the music of Winds of Winter and a few scenes related to Cersei falling to madness) but they are not outstanding at all, because they made huge failures: putting Varys in the final-climax scene, Arya's Frey Pies was horribly done, Bran was just an exposition machine, everyone forgot about him being the heir, Dorne was horribly done in the finale (even at the same level than the Pilot), etc.

Anyway, IMO s6 was much better than s5 but there's no comparison to the previous seasons. Tyrion used to be funny and now it's "funny" to remember he used to be funny, just to put an example of bad writing.

Outside wanting to see there first meeting I have no issue with Varys with Dany. We also show ships from the Tyrells and Martells and I enjoy that a lot.

I am not into Frey Pies that much in either medium but it was received well.

People were waiting for Bran to be an exposition machine.

Tyrion is still funny so just do not agree.

12 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think the Battle of The Bastards is quite popular because it had a lot of budget and technically was really well done IMO. But the script failed. Everyone agreed, in the critics, that the plot was predictable, and Rickon's moving not in zigzag was something I read everywhere in the reviews, even the actor didn't know how to respond why made him run that way.....

I agree that popular does not equal quality. But there was quality in the special effects and one knows they put a lot of effort (different groups of people, like training the horses) to make it visually compelling. That doesn't mean is a good one. Some poeple might like this type of thing (especially if they like battles), but others prefers political intrigue and good dialogue or character development. I prefer the latter, but I also like Battles. But this one was boring and predicatble in terms of script. Good in terms of pure entertainment.

ETA: I prefer the battle of s4 because it was more moving, for instance. It made me feel something. This one ...I knew what was going to happen. Well, I didn't know Ramsay would be eaten by his dogs but everyone knew he would die. In terms of moving.....I was sad for Rickon and Jon, the actors played it quite well, but then when they forgot about Rickon (only a sentence) and focused on Ramsay, I was disappointed. In S4 Jon doesn't forget Ygritte and the men who fight in the Door, for instance.

Rickon not zigzagging is the height of nitpicking. Rickon is 10-11, is scared, and it is something you need to be trained for. Your instinct will be too run fast as you can the shortest point is a straight line.

I do not think predictability is sign of bad writing.  They did great of tension, especially with the body crush, and that was needed.

I enjoy all aspects and take it for wants it worth.  It is why I can enjoy a slower episode like 6 and the action packed one like 9 with equal weight.

Watchers on the Wall battle is vastly underrated.  That we can find some agreement on.

15 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Outside wanting to see there first meeting I have no issue with Varys with Dany. We also show ships from the Tyrells and Martells and I enjoy that a lot.

I am not into Frey Pies that much in either medium but it was received well.

Tyrion is still funny so just do not agree.

Well I wouldn't have had an issue if he had not appeared in Dorne minutes before. For me that scene (very well done with special effects, one I had been waiting for years.....and then Varys teleported) disappointed me and made me feel out of this climax. Like when you are watching a terror film in the dark and the door rings and it's the jerk neighbour next door saying his dog can't sleep because of the noise. One tries to watch the film again but....its impossible.

I don't know how it was received because I avoided reading about that. They should have shown how Arya entered there and killed and cooked them. Why? I don't like it (I wouldn't have used Frey Pies) but IMO it's implausible for her to do that or extremely difficult and absurd, and made her look like a sadist, like in S5's finale, when she is not portrayed this way during the season. So for me, it was very out of character and more considering the scene is implausible without explanations.

Well, Tyrion has never been my favourite. But sarcasm is good when it is sarcasm. When you keep telling cock-and-drinking jokes it doesn't feel natural for me and it's a pitty, because despite not liking the character a lot, I felt it was interesting and intelligent. But everyone has their opinion, so if you still like his jokes, better for you, it's  subjective.

People were waiting for Bran to be an exposition machine.

Do you mean for the ToJ? I agree that it was one of the best ways to show it and I don't complain about that. But the fact that his story is only to serve Jon and he has been an exposition machine all the season and his last two minutes are only about him because other characters (more importants in the show but not in the books) deserve more attenttion makes me feel sad. But it's a matter of taste I suppose.

5 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Rickon not zigzagging is the height of nitpicking. Rickon is 10-11, is scared, and it is something you need to be trained for. Your instinct will be too run fast as you can the shortest point is a straight line.

I do not think predictability is sign of bad writing.  They did great of tension, especially with the body crush, and that was needed.

I enjoy all aspects and take it for wants it worth.  It is why I can enjoy a slower episode like 6 and the action packed one like 9 with equal weight.

Watchers on the Wall battle is vastly underrated.  That we can find some agreement on.

well I don't agree it's nickpicking, because it's the most logic thing to do.......

I don't want to be all of it predictable but everything of this episode was. There was no tension for me. I knew Rickon and Ramsay would die....

I tried to enjoy the battle, but nothing more.

Yes, WotW is an amazing episode.

59 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Well I wouldn't have had an issue if he had not appeared in Dorne minutes before. For me that scene (very well done with special effects, one I had been waiting for years.....and then Varys teleported) disappointed me and made me feel out of this climax. Like when you are watching a terror film in the dark and the door rings and it's the jerk neighbour next door saying his dog can't sleep because of the noise. One tries to watch the film again but....its impossible.

I don't know how it was received because I avoided reading about that. They should have shown how Arya entered there and killed and cooked them. Why? I don't like it (I wouldn't have used Frey Pies) but IMO it's implausible for her to do that or extremely difficult and absurd, and made her look like a sadist, like in S5's finale, when she is not portrayed this way during the season. So for me, it was very out of character and more considering the scene is implausible without explanations.

Well, Tyrion has never been my favourite. But sarcasm is good when it is sarcasm. When you keep telling cock-and-drinking jokes it doesn't feel natural for me and it's a pitty, because despite not liking the character a lot, I felt it was interesting and intelligent. But everyone has their opinion, so if you still like his jokes, better for you, it's  subjective.

Do you mean for the ToJ? I agree that it was one of the best ways to show it and I don't complain about that. But the fact that his story is only to serve Jon and he has been an exposition machine all the season and his last two minutes are only about him because other characters (more importants in the show but not in the books) deserve more attenttion makes me feel sad. But it's a matter of taste I suppose.

Varys took you out of the last 7 seconds of the show?

I would of lIke to see Arya learn pie cooking from Hot Pie but in all just do not have a real stake for me. Though I found Frey Pies to be just ghoulish and not exactly the revelry that people make of it.  

TOJ and flashbacks in general with Bran. I found that what everyone was waiting for with Bran and the three eye raven. 

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

well I don't agree it's nickpicking, because it's the most logic thing to do.......

I don't want to be all of it predictable but everything of this episode was. There was no tension for me. I knew Rickon and Ramsay would die....

I tried to enjoy the battle, but nothing more.

Yes, WotW is an amazing episode.

Yeah it is.

A person instinct will be to run straight and fast as possible.  A person needs training for something like serpentine. 

I got a lot of enjoyment though I knew how it was ending.  So, you cannot enjoy a film of a historical battle or event for you know how it ends?

Varys took you out of the last 7 seconds of the show?

Yes....I had been waiting for it for years. I don't like Meereen at all, neither in the books nor in the show and I always wanted her to leave Essos because of that city. I can't stand Meereen. I was watching the scene, very climatic...and then....what is Varys doing there? 

I was also disappointed for not doing LSH and The Frey Pies was also a big disappointment so Varys there teleported was the last straw, honestly. 

I would of lIke to see Arya learn pie cooking from Hot Pie but in all just do not have a real stake for me. Though I found Frey Pies to be just ghoulish and not exactly the revelry that people make of it.  

for me was totally out of character. I woudl rate it 2/10, because she killed Walder. If Hot Pie had taught her...maybe 3/10. LOLs

That scene....I don't want to remember it either!

TOJ and flashbacks in general with Bran. I found that what everyone was waiting for with Bran and the three eye raven. 

I understand that many people might not like Bran, just as I don't like Tyrion much but I think he deserves his own story, he is my favourite male character. At least he had some story this season not like s5 where he didnt even appear at all.

5 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Yeah it is.

A person instinct will be to run straight and fast as possible.  A person needs training for something like serpentine. 

I got a lot of enjoyment though I knew how it was ending.  So, you cannot enjoy a film of a historical battle or event for you know how it ends?

I think that when someone is going to kill you the way Ramsay was going to, the most reasonable thing is not going straight. That was my first thought.

I enjoyed the battle, particularly the moments with the horses. I like battles.

But I would have preferred more moving scenes, and less sadism. Remembering Rickon.....and less predictability.

Archived