What is Kinvara's Purpose?

A_Man_Is_No_One

Maybe her role is just to cause a temporary peace in Meereen. Anyway I believe she will be Dany's philosophical guide in her court along with Marwyn the mage whom I'm positive will appear next season. Most probably they will be rivals pushing Dany towards their agenda.

11 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Kinvara's purpose in the story is to confuse the viewers by adding another AAR candidate to the landscape and creating a cliffhanger on who will be : Jon or Daenerys (same strategy of the "younger more beautiful queen")

This is my idea, but I do wish they had her have a bigger role, maybe travel with Daenerys?

3 hours ago, A_Man_Is_No_One said:

This is my idea, but I do wish they had her have a bigger role, maybe travel with Daenerys?

IMO, Kinvara may play a bigger role in the story, in her vision, Daenerys was at the wall so something convinced her about the reality of the WW threat and it maybe Kinvara

I think they are setting up some kind of religious war issue with regard to the LoL vs the seven, because Varys and Tyrion had the coversation about that issue.  Clearly, Varys is not cool with the idea of teaming up with religious people, whereas Tyrion is willing to make the compromise to keep the peace.  This sets up in the future some kind of actual conflict around this issue - like the followers of the LoL demand that Dany take that as the official state religion if she want their support, that kind of thing. 

Or, they might just drop it as a plot point.  

1 hour ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

I think they are setting up some kind of religious war issue with regard to the LoL vs the seven

Good point but Daenerys is not a religious person and she never cared about religion and the targaryens are known by giving freedom of religion to the smallfolk

57 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Good point but Daenerys is not a religious person and she never cared about religion and the targaryens are known by giving freedom of religion to the smallfolk

That's true, but like I said the LOL supporters might want her to do something for them (to get their support) that angers some Westerosi.  Like declare LOL religion as having equal authority as the 7 or something.  

The most obvious setup to me seemed to be to bring up the issue of Vary's dislike of the religion which I'd imagine could potentially come up again in Westeros with Mel now heading south to potentially meet up with Dany.

As far as Kinvara personally the most obvious possibility seems to be that Jorah meets her whilst trying to heal himself next season, I could see her telling/showing him something of the threat of the WW and his own destiny healing Dany to defeat them.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

I thought it was odd they bring her in to help stabilize Slaver's Bay for Dany only in time for Dany to leave. I cant see Dany bringing her along to Westeros for any reason.

I suspect besides giving Tyrion something to do the purpose is to setup Dany's involvement with the religion in the future and how the likes of Varys and Tyrion react to it. No sign that they've brought Kinvara along but to me she seemed like a bit of a stand in for Mel(at least pre season 6 Mel) anyway, mysterious/threatening slightly unnatural looking beauty.

Again if she does feature again then Jorah meeting her makes the most sense although I think Quaithe would make more sense, that would be a long call back though.

On 8/26/2016 at 5:03 AM, A spoon of knife and fork said:

That's true, but like I said the LOL supporters might want her to do something for them (to get their support) that angers some Westerosi.  Like declare LOL religion as having equal authority as the 7 or something.  

This will never be an issue in books or show ...because dany is a character that unites people of different cultures and beliefs ..

Her main army of dothraki and unsullied have different gods and she herself is worshipper of seven gods.  So I don't think she is going to give in for a particular religion or prefer one over another. .

On the topic of Kinvara well she showed that Mel is not a single spokeperson of red priests and there is actually another one who is claimed as promised one..and she being head priestess spread the word of dany and bring stablity in essos ( where red religion is most active)..

9 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

This will never be an issue in books or show ...because dany is a character that unites people of different cultures and beliefs ..

Her main army of dothraki and unsullied have different gods and she herself is worshipper of seven gods.  So I don't think she is going to give in for a particular religion or prefer one over another. .

On the topic of Kinvara well she showed that Mel is not a single spokeperson of red priests and there is actually another one who is claimed as promised one..and she being head priestess spread the word of dany and bring stablity in essos ( where red religion is most active)..

I agree - Dany is someone who is fairly arelegious and unites people of many religions under her.  This is the very reason why proclaiming Equality between the religions would appeal to her.  And some in Westeros might have a problem with that.  

If Dany's contact with the Red Priests is though Mel though I think that potentially creates a very different situation. The old Mel was as much about spreading her religion as she was about trying to combat the threat of the Walkers, the new post Stannis Mel doesn't really seem to be interested in that anymore.

It could be less about wider religion and more about Mel looking to influence Dany to combat the threat of the Walkers and the likes of Varys being mistrustful of her. That would be easier to introduce given that we've seen those issues raises last season rather than 5 seasons ago.

Honestly, does she even have a purpose? Daenerys never met her, Kinvara is in Meereen/Volantis for what we know and Daenerys is on a ship somewhere in the Narrow Sea. She had ONE scene in which she talked about the secrets of Varys's castration. People are ALREADY debating whether Daenerys or Jon is AA/TPTWP and Kinvara has nothing to do with that. I mean hatching dragons in a pyre, the appearance of a red comet and being fireproof speak a little louder than a random red priestess with 2 minutes of screentime... 

But hey, maybe Kinvara will get a jet pack and magically pop up to win over the small folk for Daenerys... they didn't give a fuck about losing the great sept anyways, I'm sure they are open to a new religion.  

Had it been before S6, I would've said 100% she'll definitely be back in the next season. D & D wouldn't include something like that without it having a purpose for later on. But after watching all the sloppiness and bizarre stuff in S6, I'm not so sure we'll see her again.

D & D really had a golden opportunity to showcase their writing skills and to give Tyrion an awesome arc as King of Mereen and they failed miserably. What we got instead was a series of disparate scenes that didn't add up to much and ultimately had no impact on the story or development of the characters.

6 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

Honestly, does she even have a purpose? Daenerys never met her, Kinvara is in Meereen/Volantis for what we know and Daenerys is on a ship somewhere in the Narrow Sea. She had ONE scene in which she talked about the secrets of Varys's castration. People are ALREADY debating whether Daenerys or Jon is AA/TPTWP and Kinvara has nothing to do with that. I mean hatching dragons in a pyre, the appearance of a red comet and being fireproof speak a little louder than a random red priestess with 2 minutes of screentime... 

But hey, maybe Kinvara will get a jet pack and magically pop up to win over the small folk for Daenerys... they didn't give a fuck about losing the great sept anyways, I'm sure they are open to a new religion.  

You make some interesting points that I enjoyed reading, but just cuz we agree she's unlikely to fill some of the roles you describe does not necessariliy mean she has no place in the rest of the show, even though, yes, her role thus far has been very small.

Personally, I strongly predict we will see her again, she holds too high a position on Planetos for her to never be encountered again, especially now that she's started to interact with other major players.  She's certainly no lightweight, either, she dropped Varys in their "discussion" like a bad habit, and Varys is NOT normally on the losing end of some verbal jousting.  I thought the actress, Ania Bukstein, did a great job, too.

So, if she's not going to play a role like you describe, what's left?  Can't be positive, but I guess I've got to connect her in my mind to someone else we still know in Essos...or in this case, two people, Daario and Jorah.  I could see her joining up with Daario and following Dany to Westeros, and/or joining up with Jorah, maybe after his greyscale is cured, or maybe she has the cure for the greyscale.  Personally, I'd love to see any of this play out.

We might see her again but really I think the most important aspect of the character was basically to act as a stand in for pre season 6 Mel. If Dany becoming tied up in the prophecy with Mel happens in season 7 or 8 I think D&D want there to be some drama around those advising her(especially Varys) accepting this. Kinvara basically represents the old Mel who seems to have unshackable faith in her rightness and ties up the prophecy with wanting to expand her religion and kill those who oppose it. This obviously gives a good reason why Varys and others should still be mistrustful of it even if when/if Mel herself encounters Dany she doesnt represent these things.

7 hours ago, Cron said:

You make some interesting points that I enjoyed reading, but just cuz we agree she's unlikely to fill some of the roles you describe does not necessariliy mean she has no place in the rest of the show, even though, yes, her role thus far has been very small.

Personally, I strongly predict we will see her again, she holds too high a position on Planetos for her to never be encountered again, especially now that she's started to interact with other major players.  She's certainly no lightweight, either, she dropped Varys in their "discussion" like a bad habit, and Varys is NOT normally on the losing end of some verbal jousting.  I thought the actress, Ania Bukstein, did a great job, too.

So, if she's not going to play a role like you describe, what's left?  Can't be positive, but I guess I've got to connect her in my mind to someone else we still know in Essos...or in this case, two people, Daario and Jorah.  I could see her joining up with Daario and following Dany to Westeros, and/or joining up with Jorah, maybe after his greyscale is cured, or maybe she has the cure for the greyscale.  Personally, I'd love to see any of this play out.

You know, for some time I'd been pretty hopeful and optimistic about the show, but for the past season and a half every time I sat down to watch an episode with great hopes and excitement, I stood up pretty disappointed, so I've become kinda pessimistic and don't really nurse any expectations for the story...

And to be honest, keeping Kinvara in fold would make as little as sense as abandoning her and her 2 minutes of screentime. I mean I get what you are saying and Jorah and his greyscale might even be worth keeping Kinvara around... At the same time, Daenerys left, Arya left WHY on god's earth would we STILL hang around in Essos? Don't we have enough plotlines to resolve in Westeros? And I think the reason why Daario was left behind was for him to not return to the story, and I have a suspicion the same applies for Jorah. I don't know... I can't decide which would make less sense, keep Kinvara or ditch her. 

Archived