What POV character has the best chapters

Arry_Stark

What POV characters chapters do you like the most? I personally think most of the Arya, Sansa and Catelyn chapters were a very good read. But overall I think Tyrion had the best chapters in ACoK. There was just no chapter of him I didn't really enjoy. I didn't really like the Theon and Jon chapters though, I thought they were very boring at the start but later they got better.

I actually like all POVs and chapters, for it's the variety and richness of characters that captivates me...

As I read the first Theon chapter, it seemed quite boring in the beginning. Perhaps I wasn't attuned to him, he didn't intrigue me at this stage. But this changed later on.

Same for Daenerys, whom I wasn't overly excited about, until she mixed up the Palace of Dust.

Mostly I enjoyed the Tyrion, Arya and Jon chapters. I can't find Jon boring at all, only a bit annoying unless he owned up to the Brotherhood for good. I find it most intriguing what's going on beyond the Wall, from there comes the greatest danger (and prospect, I guess). So, now in ASoS these are my favourite chapters, alongside with Arya's, Tyrion's and one more.

• 1 month later...

Jon,Catelyn,Arya and Daenerys chapters are really amazing. Tyrion chapters are the best of all.

i hate Sansa chapters, all she can think is pretty dresses,guys(Loras Tyrell in book 3) and how pretty she is

• 5 weeks later...

I like Bran. I like his dealing with being a cripple, which is a 1000x worse thing to be in their world than in ours, but mostly because in Brans chapters we can see the world from the eyes of a direwolf, which is awesome. I dont know what it is, but in any book I read, If I get explainations of human things from the POV of an animal, i just love it. One of the reasons I was big on Warriors as a kid. 

I also liked arya and hated sansas chapters for the same reasons. They are both weak little girls (even if Arya is a badass swordfighter in training), but where Arya does what she needs to do, reading sansas chapters just gave me the feeling of "this is what the world looks like from the eyes of a whiny bitch who cant do a damn thing for herself and cries and almost burned the castle down when she had her period."

seriously though, it is interesting how Arya has that bit of Ned in her, but is also getting screwed up by the world shes in. like when she risks her life to get that axe and give those prisoners, who were literally nothing more than monsters in her eyes, a chance to escape, which is totally what Ned would have done in that situation (assuming he was a little kid who couldnt help kick ass). She also risks her life to rescue Gendry from the Lannisters, and refuses to leave Weasle behind. But then when Jaquen says "hey ill kill any three people you want just name them." she says "sweet cant wait to kill some bitches thisll be fun". so her point of view is interesting for that too. 

• 1 month later...

Theon Greyjoy. He is just such a nice Shakespearean character: ambitious and arrogant and yet insecure, sensitive and impressionable. His mental unravelling as the Prince of Winterfell is utterly spellbinding.

I also like Arya's chapters. Her moral code is simple and relatable: anyone who tries to harm her, her friends, or innocent people are bad. Her terrible sense of priority (what a waste of the first two names promised by Jaqen on anyone other than Tywin Lannister and Gregor Clegane) is very realistic for a child as young as herself. The ravages of war on the country are also only taken in by her POV.

I would say Jaime,  and to a slightly lesser extent Catelyn, have the most constantly well-written and interesting/touching chapters. 

I might add Brienne to the list when/if we get Winds. So far her chapters have been too few to tell.

The main characters have the disadvantage of being featured a lot, which leaves more space for faultering and occasional lesser quality, though they are overall still excellent. 

So many to choose and different characters are stronger in different books.

Arya's journey up until she left Harrenhall is one of my favorite pieces of the novel.

Tyrion's were consistently good until he murdered Tywin.

Cersi's slow decent into madness where it showed her thought process in scheming were really entertaining. Especially on a second read where you know her schemes don't work out.

Wasn't into it the first time as I was more plot driven - but the second time I read, Bran's entire journey was probably the most entertaining.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1) Theon : awesome

2) Davos : discovering the Stannis squad was very cool !

3) Tyrion : political and strategic chapters :)

Bran a bit broing until the last ones with Theon,

Arya very psychological but his trip in Harrenhall didn't convince me

Catelyn not so bad but well it's Cat.

Jon ones were... well, snowy ? Only the chapter where Ygrid tell him the story of Bael the Bard really caught me.

• 1 month later...

Yes I agree that Tyrion and Sansa have got exciting chapters in the second book. I also couldn't help but feel amused by the things Jaime said to Catelyn. LOL

Daenerys' has a spooky time in the second book meeting the House of the Undying. I couldn't help but feel really sad after reading how she saw her brother Rhaegar.

Theon and Jon are my two favorites in ADWD, then Davos, other than that Jaime and Bran where the other ones that I found remotely interesting. Cersei's chapters I think I found a slip or two, Cersei is actually Lancel's aunt, after all Kevan when criticizing Cersei for fucking Lancel tells he that Lancel is her nephew. Also Cersei revealed that she is the world's first ever transgender, at one point in Cersei II she refers to herself as himself. Arya and Dany where just boring and Quentyn's chapters I tried to read them but they bored my brains out, except for the last one.

I've just finished reading "A Clash of Kings." I must say that I didn't expect Jaime to shave his hair off! Also I couldn't stop laughing at the time Theon was getting lost and confused in the woods searching for the Stark boys, Reed kids, Osha and Hodor, lol.

When I first started reading, I did not know it wasn't a completed series! I never read things with alternating viewpoints in chapter order, I tend to follow one through then go back. In GOT I preferred Dany's chapters because her plot was moving right along (then it had to come to a prolonged halt), I liked Arya because her struggles to survive are gripping, Sansa, and Catelyn. I also like Jaime, Theon and Brienne and Tyrion chapters add their own unique quality because he is the only one of those I have mentioned who really tries to see a bigger picture. 

@Castellan, try reading the chapters in the order GRRM has put them- on this, my third reading, I 'm catching that there's a subtle relation between the chapters- sometimes in how one ends and the next begins, sometimes in a common theme, sometimes in mirrored circumstances of the POV!

My favourite POV has changed with each reading. 1st time, it was Davos.

The second, Cersei.

This time around, Bran.

3 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

@Castellan, try reading the chapters in the order GRRM has put them- on this, my third reading, I 'm catching that there's a subtle relation between the chapters- sometimes in how one ends and the next begins, sometimes in a common theme, sometimes in mirrored circumstances of the POV!

My favourite POV has changed with each reading. 1st time, it was Davos.

The second, Cersei.

This time around, Bran.

I keep meaning to do that, and also to read AFFC & ADWD in chronological by events order, but really, I don't know if I'll have the stamina. 

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

I keep meaning to do that, and also to read AFFC & ADWD in chronological by events order, but really, I don't know if I'll have the stamina. 

It seems to me following the author's published intentions is the line of least resistance. It also allows you to experience what he wanted you to, the way he published it.

But palimpsets are fun! Someday I may try that reading order of  AFFC & ADWD.

Archived