Wynonna Earp / Hunters / Van Helsing - The SyFy bashing demons/aliens/vampires' skulls thread.

Arkash

Figured we kinda need a thread for these ones...

Out of the three, and considering Van Helsing only has a pilot so far, I'd say Wynonna Earp is the most engaging... wasnt sure at first, but the series has grown on me, mostly thanks to Wynonna's quirck, sense of humour and magnificent punchlines.

Hunters was... well, 50/50... good ideas overall and some interesting characters, but it could be so much more.

As for Van(essa) Helsing, well, let's wait and see... for a pilot, it wasnt a blast, and the basic trope of vampire apocalypse is sure as hell not the most original one, but I'll wait to see how it unravels, I must say I'm intrigued.

Anyone interested to discuss these shows ? 

ETA ; if that thread had only been about Wynonna and Vanessa, I'd totally have called it "crazy chicks with guns". 

I *loved* Wynonna Earp, thought it was fantastic and was surprised no one else seemed to be talking about it.  It was a bit slow to get going at first, but definitely worth it for the type of show it was - which I saw described as if Buffy and Lost Girl had a Canadian baby set in...whatever Southern State it is? Arizona?

Doesn't take itself too seriously, but feels like it has a compelling story under it all. Quirkly humour, acted in the right tone by a decent cast of attractive people, adorable queer girl romance (personal preference on this one), a compelling villain who manages to be monstrous and yet shot through with some traces of sympathy, catchy theme. Just loved it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I kinda liked the second episode of Van Helsing, so I'm still along for the ride ! 

Oh, and tomorrow, another new SyFY series begins : Aftermath... curious to check it out as well ! 

Archived