The Prince Of Nothing series is optioned for TV!

redeagl

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I almost wonder if that's something Bakker wished he'd done in hindsight given he has essentially created such a group in the aspect-emperor series. Still, I agree it would have been more interesting to have the Mandate exclusively female where they were the only ones who had the dreams. Plus, it'd make their job even harder - why would any of the males ruling the world listen to a woman talking about an apocalypse. Would have also been nice to have the men double hating the mandate yet being terrified of their power. I guess women of that world would be more tempted to try damnation when they are pretty low on the order to begin with. In exchange for having some power.

It would have also been nice for it to have formed without the express permission of a man. While we could still argue it's the man's dreams that drive the Mandate - it'd still be better than them being handed it on a plate by Kellhus.

What's more, akka giving up the gnosis to a male, kellhus, would be something the mandate deeply feared, that they might come under the control of a man, which they will, if they no longer have the advantage it confers. Which would be true and would nicely illustrate bakkrrs claims of modernity liberation is a false liberation and a prison. Plus you could have interesting potential mommy issues with the scarlet spires et al being mostly the orphaned male castoffs of the mandate matrilineal requirements--like Mormon teen boys forcibly ejected from polygamous sects. Which draws an obvious and fruitful inverse with the dunyain.

and engage the potential of plastic female sexuality with a more interesting love triangle of esme leaving the female akka for the male kellhus.

And this ultimately leaves akka the author of her own downfall, ruined by taking on the subservient feminine role of teacher to kellhus representation of an ascendant patriarchy.

;)

Purists are shitting bricks right now.

2 hours ago, lokisnow said:

;)

Purists are shitting bricks right now.

Yeah, because I'd like to watch or read something cribbing off those ideas.

I'd be cool with them making those changes as it would guarantee a different experience. I guess it depends on whether this throws a spanner in the story further down the road. Maybe there's an important point to Kellhus' female sorcerers down the road? In such a way they could only turn up at that stage.

Like I say, the gender inversion can cook up some interesting angles - especially in a story where gender is of massive importance. Less so in Ancillary Justice :) I'd love to see how open casting for that could be.

Yeah genderflipped mandate works for me a hell of a lot better than Conphas. As already noted, it even meshes with the thematic beats he was aiming for better than what was written.

Archived