US Elections: CTRL ALT-RIGHT DELETE

all swedes are racist

A most excellent successor thread title.

apropos of nothing, at work we have all macs, and I still refer to the cmd key as the  "Apple" key, occasionally, I will say "hit open-Apple Q" for example, which is how our typing teacher used to phrase it.

So, we were just discussing Dr Bornstein:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37203285

Donald Trump's doctor has said he spent just five minutes on a letter endorsing the Republican candidate's health, while Mr Trump's car waited outside.

He said he "picked up" the candidate's own "kind of language" when writing it.

Any educators on the board will have heard that one before.

The more credible version is, Trump wrote it and then he got a patsy to sign it. Either way, it's an incredible episode.I don't know what's more worrying: the blatant dishonesty or the fact that it's such a half-arsed effort.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

The more credible version is, Trump wrote it and then he got a patsy to sign it. Either way, it's an incredible episode.I don't know what's more worrying: the blatant dishonesty or the fact that it's such a half-arsed effort.

Seems like a violation of medical ethics to me, but trying to peg people in the Trumperverse for individual acts of dishonesty is, as Captain Willard said, like trying to give out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.

So, the much vaunted Trump pivot to the center appears to be a huge failure. I don't know why I'm surprised at this, but I was. I genuinely thought he and his people were looking at the polls and the calendar, and were going to act to save this election. It looked like they tried, but it's a big fail. Partly Trump has no self control, partly there seems to always be two warring camps in his campaign, no matter how many shakeups happen. 

His immigration pivot is a huge mess, with him trying to please everyone, and just confusing everyone where he stands on it, including those who supported him due to the issue. Calling Clinton a bigot in response to her remarks is not going well. And he's now embroiled in a war of words with yet another media person, Mika Brzezinski.

Maybe another pivot is coming, but it may be too late at this point.

6 minutes ago, sologdin said:

awesome.  first time as a tragedy, second as farce.  the fake doctor letter should be sufficient to invade iraq again. 

I can see "President Trump needs to invade Country X in order to get it up" as something they would try to sell to Congress. And many personally sympathetic members of said chamber would likely find it plausible enough for their vote.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

So, the much vaunted Trump pivot to the center appears to be a huge failure. I don't know why I'm surprised at this, but I was. I genuinely thought he and his people were looking at the polls and the calendar, and were going to act to save this election. It looked like they tried, but it's a big fail. Partly Trump has no self control, partly there seems to always be two warring camps in his campaign, no matter how many shakeups happen. 

His immigration pivot is a huge mess, with him trying to please everyone, and just confusing everyone where he stands on it, including those who supported him due to the issue. Calling Clinton a bigot in response to her remarks is not going well. And he's now embroiled in a war of words with yet another media person, Mika Brzezinski.

Maybe another pivot is coming, but it may be too late at this point.

I dunno, I feel like Trump has actually sounded disturbingly sane these last few days. 

His wall plan is still ridiculous but his sheer talent at obfuscation served him well both with Hannity and Anderson Cooper; if you don't spend a ridiculous amount of time digging into every claim he just brushes it off so it's hard to explain what a big shift his immigration plan is to someone not immersed it in. Kellyann Conway has also been troublingly competent at tap-dancing on the issues too, as seen on Maddow's show. 

His attacks on Hillary Clinton for being a bigot won't pass muster for most people (though the whataboutism on her 2008 campaign and the "superpredators" thing will continue) but it's not like the Khan thing where it's just indefensible to the point where even conservative Republicans who hear it can't weave some political justification for it. In fact, Hillary is a valid target, compared to Mrs. Khan and it's not like Bernie didn't ring that bell. 

I do wonder if there's a danger that the left will start taking what they find to be distasteful with what the general public can't live with though.

I don't think he'll win, but I do wonder if that alt-right speech would have been better served right after the Khan mess. Now may be the time to hammer him on policy.

5 hours ago, Castel said:

I dunno, I feel like Trump has actually sounded disturbingly sane these last few days. 

His wall plan is still ridiculous but his sheer talent at obfuscation served him well both with Hannity and Anderson Cooper; if you don't spend a ridiculous amount of time digging into every claim he just brushes it off so it's hard to explain what a big shift his immigration plan is to someone not immersed it in. Kellyann Conway has also been troublingly competent at tap-dancing on the issues too, as seen on Maddow's show. 

His attacks on Hillary Clinton for being a bigot won't pass muster for most people (though the whataboutism on her 2008 campaign and the "superpredators" thing will continue) but it's not like the Khan thing where it's just indefensible to the point where even conservative Republicans who hear it can't weave some political justification for it. In fact, Hillary is a valid target, compared to Mrs. Khan and it's not like Bernie didn't ring that bell. 

I do wonder if there's a danger that the left will start taking what they find to be distasteful with what the general public can't live with though.

I don't think he'll win, but I do wonder if that alt-right speech would have been better served right after the Khan mess. Now may be the time to hammer him on policy.

I am with you.  I don't think he has returned to shit the bed this time.

13 hours ago, mormont said:

https://i.redd.it/5s839yjccxhx.png

On 27/08/2016 at 10:20 PM, mormont said:

I can believe no history of ever using tobacco, but no history of using alcohol? Also, if he's on aspirin and statins then how can his cardiovascular status be excellent? Excellent for a 75-year old perhaps. But he's obviously got some CV defects otherwise he wouldn't be on those drugs. Even if the doc wasn't guilty of hyperbole, he'd be guilty of lying, so he should really be up on an ethics charge before the AMA.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I can believe no history of ever using tobacco, but no history of using alcohol? Also, if he's on aspirin and statins then how can his cardiovascular status be excellent? Excellent for a 75-year old perhaps. But he's obviously got some CV defects otherwise he wouldn't be on those drugs. Even if the doc wasn't guilty of hyperbole, he'd be guilty of lying, so he should really be up on an ethics charge before the AMA.

Nah, once you hit a certain age its very common to get put on aspirin and statins prophylactically.  

2 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

It's widely reported that Trump is a teetotaler. I see no reason to doubt it.

you certainly don't need to be a drunk to be an idiot and an asshole.

His whole life? I can believe he may have been teetotal for many years, but never drank alcohol?

Archived