US Elections: CTRL ALT-RIGHT DELETE

all swedes are racist

2 minutes ago, Pro Augustis said:

It's hardly impossible. I know one or two people who have never had a drink and don't intend to.

I'm one too. It's just so rare and the public vibe Donald has makes him being a teetoal his entire adult life seem very hard to believe. Kudos to him if true.

You cant make this up ........Tonight on MSNBC there was a round table where one of the topics was whether Trump meets the definition for a psychopath. They showed a "Meet the Press" (I think) clip, of a guest insisting Trump meets the clinical definition of a psychopath. The round table (panel of journalist) had to, with a straight face, respond to the question- "Is it fair to describe Trump as a psychopath?" 

You gotta appreciate the farcical nature of watching Ivy leaguers tongue trip over how to even respond to whether one of the major party Prez candidates is a frikn psychopath. I love it...:D

Regarding Trump- 

Two thoughts, we have zero evidence this man is a teetoaler because he has refused to disclose even the most basic of info on his health.

Also this is floating around the net and I havent got a second source for it so it needs to be verified. But the following quote is possibly from Trump, possibly the most spectacular example of a runon nonsensical word salad ever offered up from a Presidential candidate. This is a doozy if its truly his?

"Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us."

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

You cant make this up ........Tonight on MSNBC there was a round table where one of the topics was whether Trump meets the definition for a psychopath. They showed a "Meet the Press" (I think) clip, of a guest insisting Trump meets the clinical definition of a psychopath. The round table (panel of journalist) had to, with a straight face, respond to the question- "Is it fair to describe Trump as a psychopath?" 

You gotta appreciate the farcical nature of watching Ivy leaguers tongue trip over how to even respond to whether one of the major party Prez candidates is a frikn psychopath. I love it...:D

As a psychology professor I will just repeat that Trump is such an amazingly pure example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder that one should really compare him to that, not to "psychopath", an older term for the modern Antisocial Personality Disorder. There is overlap in some of the diagnostic criteria for those two labels, and many people who would blend the two, but Trump is just much more grandiose than a pure psychopath would be, and that grandiosity is one of the main characteristics which is used to separate out pure Narcissists from pure Psychopaths. :)

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

As a psychology professor I will just repeat that Trump is such an amazingly pure example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder that one should really compare him to that, not to "psychopath", an older term for the modern Antisocial Personality Disorder. There is overlap in some of the diagnostic criteria for those two labels, and many people who would blend the two, but Trump is just much more grandiose than a pure psychopath would be, and that grandiosity is one of the main characteristics which is used to separate out pure Narcissists from pure Psychopaths. :)

Trump is such a hilariously perfect example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder that it seems like every mental health professional I've seen talk about him basically can't help themselves and is just like "OMG, it's right fucking there, can't you see it??!?!!??!".

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

If we're going all in with reckless speculation of a candidate's mental state, would it be fair to assume that Trump also has ADHD and possibly displays the Dunning-Kruger effect?

42 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Trump is such a hilariously perfect example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder that it seems like every mental health professional I've seen talk about him basically can't help themselves and is just like "OMG, it's right fucking there, can't you see it??!?!!??!".

But since conservatives have been calling Obama a narcissist* for almost decade, they see any psychologist calling Trump a narcissist as just a liberal backlash.

*It's hard to actually read into this without going quickly into a well that even Breitbart won't touch. But it seems like all US Presidents were narcissists to some degree. LBJ, FDR, and TR were some more notable recent examples. Trump is different because he's an insecure narcissist, where most presidents are more likely to exhibit unshakeable self confidence.

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If we're going all in with reckless speculation of a candidate's mental state, would it be fair to assume that Trump also has ADHD and possibly displays the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Dunning-Kruger effect isn't a psychological diagnosis. It's really just an insult.

19 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

But since conservatives have been calling Obama a narcissist* for almost decade, they see any psychologist calling Trump a narcissist as just a liberal backlash.

*It's hard to actually read into this without going quickly into a well that even Breitbart won't touch. But it seems like all US Presidents were narcissists to some degree. LBJ, FDR, and TR were some more notable recent examples. Trump is different because he's an insecure narcissist, where most presidents are more likely to exhibit unshakeable self confidence.

What?

No dude, that's not what Narcissistic Personality Disorder means.

28 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Dunning-Kruger effect isn't a psychological diagnosis. It's really just an insult.

Hmm, I guess I've been making that mistake for awhile. That said, I found an interesting article on the effect, Trump and his supporters:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supporters-dunning-kruger-effect-213904

This syndrome may well be the key to the Trump voter—and perhaps even to the man himself. Trump has served up numerous illustrative examples of the effect as he continues his confident audition to be leader of the free world even as he seems to lack crucial information about the job. In a December debate he appearedignorant of what the nuclear triad is. Elsewhere, he has mused that Japan and South Korea should develop their own nuclear weapons—casually reversing decades of U.S. foreign policy.

Many commentators have pointed to these confident missteps as products of Trump’s alleged narcissism and egotism. My take would be that it's the other way around. Not seeing the mistakes for what they are allows any potential narcissism and egotism to expand unchecked.

In voters, lack of expertise would be lamentable but perhaps not so worrisome if people had some sense of how imperfect their civic knowledge is. If they did, they could repair it. But the Dunning-Kruger Effect suggests something different. It suggests that some voters, especially those facing significant distress in their life, might like some of what they hear from Trump, but they do not know enough to hold him accountable for the serious gaffes he makes. They fail to recognize those gaffes as missteps.

Here is more evidence. In a telling series of experiments, Paul Fernbach and colleagues asked political partisans to rate their understanding of various social policies, such as imposing sanctions on Iran, instituting a flat tax, or establishing a single-payer health system.

Survey takers expressed a good deal of confidence about their expertise. Or rather, they did until researchers put that understanding to the test by asking them to describe in detail the mechanics of two of the policies under question. This challenge led survey takers to realize that their understanding was mostly an illusion. It also led them to moderate their stances about those policies and to donate less money, earned in the experiment, to like-minded political advocacy groups.

16 minutes ago, Shryke said:

What?

No dude, that's not what Narcissistic Personality Disorder means.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/opinion/the-narcissist-in-chief.html

I didn't word it correctly

We found that narcissism, specifically “grandiose narcissism” — an amalgam of flamboyance, immodesty and dominance — was associated with greater overall presidential success. (This relation was small to moderate in magnitude.) The two highest scorers on grandiose narcissism were Lyndon B. Johnson and Theodore Roosevelt, the two lowest James Monroe and Millard Fillmore.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hmm, I guess I've been making that mistake for awhile. That said, I found an interesting article on the effect, Trump and his supporters:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supporters-dunning-kruger-effect-213904

dunning-kruger explains ayn rand and von hayek well enough.  article is best when:

Trump himself also exemplifies this exact pattern, showing how the Dunning-Kruger Effect can lead to what seems an indomitable sense of certainty.

unconquerable belief, indomitable conviction--the secret of prattle, kids. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

i am reluctant to comment on anyone's ADHD status, especially someone who's already 70 years old, as that term gets overused and overdiagnosed so much. 

And the Dunning-Kruger effect is so common in American culture that it's something the majority of the population is subject to now and again, so saying that Trump is sometimes subject to it really doesn't say much about him personally. Perhaps one could simply say that being a great example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder means almost by definition that one is subject to that effect more than average. 

Archived