US Elections: CTRL ALT-RIGHT DELETE

all swedes are racist

25 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I disagree. If the campaign promises are things which are obviously unfeasible, they're not a window into the governing philosophy, they're just demagoguery or entertainment.

And I disagree. Looking at the type of voters and issues that someone is pandering to and preaching to can and does reveal something about them. It is also clear that his xenophobia and sexism are not mere acts of showmanship, but actual outgrowths of his own worldview. If he were a simple chameleon whose goal is to win votes, there are better demographics to pander to than the racist xenophobes.

56 minutes ago, TerraPrime said:

And I disagree. Looking at the type of voters and issues that someone is pandering to and preaching to can and does reveal something about them. It is also clear that his xenophobia and sexism are not mere acts of showmanship, but actual outgrowths of his own worldview. If he were a simple chameleon whose goal is to win votes, there are better demographics to pander to than the racist xenophobes.

I cannot think of any that would follow Trump over the various competitors that he has faced. Trump's path through the primaries is practically the only one he could have taken, but it leaves him at a significant disadvantage in the general election and there's nothing he can do about it. If he were to dramatically change his positions, all that would happen is that he would lose most of the supporters that he currently has -- I very much doubt anyone who currently dislikes him will be persuaded to join him by a blatant flip-flop.

Trump might actually stiff some of his staffers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-campaign-staffers_us_57c9c9bce4b0e60d31df169d

One of the 10 who were unpaid, Michael Caputo, told a Buffalo radio station in June after he resigned from the campaign, that he was not volunteering. Rather, he said he just had not gotten paid. Caputo confirmed to Reuters on Thursday that the Trump campaign has still not paid his invoices.

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Look how great it is when you have a businessman run things like his business!  It's pretty telling how many Republican candidates turn their campaigns into grift operations.

Oh, well. 

Latino's are fast becoming a major political block.  At this rate, another half dozen presidential elections, possibly even the majority block.

Yet, I wonder.

Many of these people come from countries that are corrupt, authoritarian hellholes.  More, many tend to be of a conservative bent - witness Rubio and Cruz.  Politics and family seem to be intertwined, as does corruption.

So, will the Latino 'block' bring with them the corruption and authoritarianism they, or their immediate ancestors fled from?  Or will they take a more centrist/liberal stance?   

At this point, I'm not taking a stand, just tossing a glaringly obvious question out there.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

No, @ThinkerX, you're just posing an incredibly stupid opinion based on incredibly shitty observations which aren't true.

Oh, what part do you dispute?

Are you saying Latinos are not in the process of becoming a major political force?

Are you saying that many recent Latino immigrants do not have their roots in countries that are effectively corrupt dictatorships?

Are you saying these recent Latino immigrants do not bring the uglier elements of their culture with them when they come to the US?

ThinkerX, your post is just racist. It assumes that Latino immigrants favour or promote corruption by virtue of being Latino and therefore from corrupt political culture, as if that makes them by their nature corrupt themselves: as if political corruption was some sort of virus and they were simply passive carriers rather than human beings with their own political beliefs.

The absurdity is obvious. The US was largely founded by white immigrants from monarchies. Did this lead to a monarchy in the US? Do white people favour monarchical structures? Do white immigrants from, say, Russia or Belarus, also 'bring the uglier elements of their culture with them' and are they a threat to the US political culture?

ETA - and of course the whole edifice is built on the assumption that Latino countries are corrupt and that this is a characteristic of their people rather than a product of poverty and power structures.

Archived