The Deeper Dorne by Preston Jacobs

Well, I don't care who's the source of a theory and whether they are controversial or not (other than giving the appropriate credit, that is).

BUT, I really dislike video as the means for presenting a theory. If anyone wants me to discuss their thoughts, they'd better put it down in written, along with the essential evidence. On the other hand their audience may be sufficient for them and not really care for my input, and I am OK with that as well.

45 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

Here we go again

See (below) what's wrong with this kind of threads? 

16 minutes ago, Oakhearts head said:

PJ is alright, but he's no 'The Don' Tony Teflon. That dude deserves way more attention than he gets. His channel is one of the few ASOIAF channels with theories that are both coherent and well thought out without being completely overthought. 

It's always the theorist that's being discussed, seldom the theory that the thread is supposed to be about.

1 minute ago, ShadowCat Rivers said:

It's always the theorist that's being discussed, seldom the theory that the thread is supposed to be about.

lol I'm not pushing for an entire thread dedicated to Tony Teflon (although that would be great!), I just wanted to give Tony Teflon a shout out. Lighten up. :)

45 minutes ago, ShadowCat Rivers said:

Of course and then inevitable lock when people escalate from discussion to insults.

1 hour ago, ShadowCat Rivers said:

BUT, I really dislike video as the means for presenting a theory. If anyone wants me to discuss their thoughts, they'd better put it down in written, along with the essential evidence.

Discounting theories because it doesn't meet your specific formatting requirements?  That's a tad elitist, don't you think?  

Theories should stand or fall based on their own merits, not because of who is presenting them or whether they've been put down in writing, or filmed using crayons, charcoal and an iPhone. 

53 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Discounting theories because it doesn't meet your specific formatting requirements?  That's a tad elitist, don't you think?  

Theories should stand or fall based on their own merits, not because of who is presenting them or whether they've been put down in writing, or filmed using crayons, charcoal and an iPhone. 

Re the bolded, I agree. Fwiw, I am not discounting the theory as in, saying that it has no merit, I am just saying that I am not disposed to engage with it at all if it's in a format I dislike. If that's elitist, oh well. Nobody's perfect.

3 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I know that he is controversial and I disagree with most of his theories myself, but I think he could be right on this one, at least partially.

Thoughts?

I think it's a great series. Whether he's right or not, it's a well thought out and entertaining theory.

Since this has apparently already derailed into a discussion about PJ, let me just say a few things about him. He has a quality that I haven't seen in other asoiaf theorists, which is the research and use of the GRRM's previous work and even personal life/beliefs to develop his theories. My favorite series of his is "The Minds of Wolves and Robins", which I really recommend to see what I mean.

However, specifically about the "Deeper Dorne" videos, I think he goes on some speculations because he really likes the Dornish and "secretly" roots for them. He gives too much credit for the Oberyn/Doran conspiracy, with little help from text evidence, but heavy on deductions previously established by himself. Of course, all he suggests is possible, and much of what he says might be true, but even he knows he is "probably wrong about half of this". I'd take this series with a grain of salt, and much more of an entertainment value than a hard-evidence-based theory.

2 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

Here we go again

I don't mean to troll. I really think that this series is interesting (especially compared to some of his other ones) and wanted to hear opinions of experts. :)  

1 hour ago, OuttaOldtown said:

Leap after leap, followed by leaping from the leap point to another leap, the only thing he says that I agree with is he's probably wrong..

At the very least, I think he might be right about Qyburn working for Doran.

14 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't mean to troll. I really think that this series is interesting (especially compared to some of his other ones) and wanted to hear opinions of experts. :)  

At the very least, I think he might be right about Qyburn working for Doran.

Perhaps. Make one hundred guesses and you're bound to be right about something..

I like these videos as a way to highlight certain rarely considered evidence. For instance, I think this video in particular (if I'm remembering which one it is) highlights the hints at internal dornish rivalries in a very memorable way. There are a later two that highlight Qyburn's attitudes towards the faith, and Lancel's visions, that are also memorable. However, I do not buy into the overall theory.

Say what you want about PJ leaping from conclusion to conclusion, but for the most part, each individual part is based on evidence. I think he strings along an interesting story, and those stories shed some light on subtle or forgettable scenes.

1 hour ago, house of dayne said:

look out a preston jacobs thread..probably gonna get locked down by the admins..say yr peace while you can

Do you understand that most of the threads about Preston Jacobs' videos are deleted because of the spam, trolling and post like yours, not because admins are trying to hide some secret knowledge from us?

No one'd have problem with PJ threads, if they were focused on discussing the theories - but they always became place for trolling, spam and discussing why mods deleted previous thread.

from what I know the whole subject of PJ being 'controversial' began when after every PJ video forum was spammed by several threads about the same thing, most of them were even in wrong sub-forums. That's why they were deleted. later certain posters began claiming that PJ is hated here, and that mods and admins lock all threads about his theories. Since then EVERY PJ thread becomes focused on insulting others, not on any roductive book discussion.

4 minutes ago, MinotaurWarrior said:

I like these videos as a way to highlight certain rarely considered evidence. For instance, I think this video in particular (if I'm remembering which one it is) highlights the hints at internal dornish rivalries in a very memorable way. There are a later two that highlight Qyburn's attitudes towards the faith, and Lancel's visions, that are also memorable. However, I do not buy into the overall theory.

Say what you want about PJ leaping from conclusion to conclusion, but for the most part, each individual part is based on evidence. I think he strings along an interesting story, and those stories shed some light on subtle or forgettable scenes.

But he chooses to ignore evidence as it fits his theory. He removes the two Yronwoods, the Well and the maester sent with Quentyn

Archived