Do people ACTUALLY think Tyrion is a good guy?

JWittoBeast

Yes, he does do a few good things, like how he handled the Gold Cloaks, but at the end of the day he knowingly supported a false regime and he tried to defeat the army of Stannis Baratheon, whom he knows is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

His treatment of Allistar Thorne, simply because Tyrion held a grudge like an angry 9 year old (that was really pathetic, TBH) and the fact he supported the Wildling tribes of the Vale to pillage innocent unarmed villagers shows he's actually a total asshat.

All Lannisters must die. Massacre the Lannisters. I will laugh when we see a Red Wedding esque scenario where an army (doesn't really matter who) goes throughout Casterly Rock and Lannisport and kills all the Lannister cousins.

He is a trickster and has done a few bad things. Paying the mountain clans for their services is not one of them; the Valemen have been killing and hunting them since the andal invasion.

Tyrion was planning the defense of the city; pushing Alliser Thorne to the bottom of the queue was expected; at worst you can call this a mistake that everyone would have done.

@JWittoBeast So, the actions of the ruling family condemns every other Lannister to death? 

You do realize that you just cast the light of hypocrisy across your post right?  Seems you're no better than Tywin.  

Tyrion has been subjected to some crappy treatment by just about everyone in the series   Through it all he has tried to remain true to his family (one of the groups that have treated him like shit), and a somewhat decent human being.  HE at least would never order the deaths of entire families, women and children included, because of the actions of their liege lord.  At least he hasn't done so so far.

We know Tywin would, and you seem to support that philosophy, so...

Tyrion > (Tywin = You)   ;)

16 minutes ago, Tucu said:

He is a trickster and has done a few bad things. Paying the mountain clans for their services is not one of them; the Valemen have been killing and hunting them since the andal invasion.

Tyrion was planning the defense of the city; pushing Alliser Thorne to the bottom of the queue was expected; at worst you can call this a mistake that everyone would have done.

Uh. No. Read Tyrion's chapter, he talks about wanting to see the Night's Watch brother immediately, but then decides not to, simply because it's  Allister Thorne.

What is wrong with the Valemen killing the wildlings? They were raiders and murderers, good work to the Knights of the Vale I say.

Tyrion intentionally expresses his intentions of arming the Wildings with weapons for the intent that they wreck havoc across the Vale. "Paying for their services" There are other ways of paying for one's services rather than arming a dangerous group.

57 minutes ago, JWittoBeast said:

Yes, he does do a few good things, like how he handled the Gold Cloaks, but at the end of the day he knowingly supported a false regime and he tried to defeat the army of Stannis Baratheon, whom he knows is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

Sorry, I expected you to list Tyrion's faults, not his accomplishments. Whoever gives "Stannis the rightful heir to the Iron Throne" a kick in the arse earns a score of good guy points for that alone.

11 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

@JWittoBeast So, the actions of the ruling family condemns every other Lannister to death? 

You do realize that you just cast the light of hypocrisy across your post right?  Seems you're no better than Tywin.  

Tyrion has been subjected to some crappy treatment by just about everyone in the series   Through it all he has tried to remain true to his family (one of the groups that have treated him like shit), and a somewhat decent human being.  HE at least would never order the deaths of entire families, women and children included, because of the actions of their liege lord.  At least he hasn't done so so far.

We know Tywin would, and you seem to support that philosophy, so...

Tyrion > (Tywin = You)   ;)

Yes, I admit I would extinct a family name if the majority of their members prove to be lying and deceitful scum who cause the death of thousands. I don't claim to be a "Good" guy, I would be the opposite of a chivalrous character, but I do what's right in the grand scheme of things, I would support  stannis' right to the throne. 

11 minutes ago, JWittoBeast said:

Uh. No. Read Tyrion's chapter, he talks about wanting to see the Night's Watch brother immediately, but then decides not to, simply because it's  Allister Thorne.

What is wrong with the Valemen killing the wildlings? They were raiders and murderers, good work to the Knights of the Vale I say.

Tyrion intentionally expresses his intentions of arming the Wildings with weapons for the intent that they wreck havoc across the Vale. "Paying for their services" There are other ways of paying for one's services rather than arming a dangerous group.

Since when it is a crime making Alliser Thorne wait for a couple of weeks to get an audience with the Hand of the King?

The andal Valemen took their lands from those wildlings; they have been at war for thousands of years. What is wrong with killing and raiding your enemy? Robb spent months raiding the Westerlands; was Robb evil?

5 minutes ago, Tucu said:

Since when it is a crime making Alliser Thorne wait for a couple of weeks to get an audience with the Hand of the King?

The andal Valemen took their lands from those wildlings; they have been at war for thousands of years. What is wrong with killing and raiding your enemy? Robb spent months raiding the Westerlands; was Robb evil?

When did I say it was a crime....It was a total asshole thing to do, and that hand that Thorne had could have swayed the court immensely in the NW's favour.

The Valemen are only half Andal. The Vale has the second strongest First Man relation behind the North.

Anyway, the killing of civilians is NEVER justified. I don't give a shit "Oh someone else did it" so what? If Jesus Christ raided civilians he would be a criminal too.

Plus, Robb didn't burn villages, all he did was take the gold from the mines

1 minute ago, JWittoBeast said:

Yes, I admit I would extinct a family name if the majority of their members prove to be lying and deceitful scum who cause the death of thousands.

So, to be clear, murdering children (because in order to kill an entire family you would have to kill the children too) is acceptable based on the actions of 5-6 people?  

Im just trying to get a clear understanding of "good" and "evil" within the context of this thread because so far I'm definitely seeing Tyrion as a good guy, and you (if you were a character in Westeros) as a bad guy or even a straight up villain.  

But to return to the main point of the thread yes, I would definitely characterize Tyrion as one of the "good" guys of the series.  He tries to do the right thing, and tries to do right by his family even after they have been horrible to him for his entire life.  

2 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

So, to be clear, murdering children (because in order to kill an entire family you would have to kill the children too) is acceptable based on the actions of 5-6 people?  

Im just trying to get a clear understanding of "good" and "evil" within the context of this thread because so far I'm definitely seeing Tyrion as a good guy, and you (if you were a character in Westeros) as a bad guy or even a straight up villain.  

But to return to the main point of the thread yes, I would definitely characterize Tyrion as one of the "good" guys of the series.  He tries to do the right thing, and tries to do right by his family even after they have been horrible to him for his entire life.  

Doing what you think is right doesn't mean what you are doing is actually right.

Al so, besides the White Walkers there are no villains in ASOIAF.

4 minutes ago, JWittoBeast said:

When did I say it was a crime....It was a total asshole thing to do, and that hand that Thorne had could have swayed the court immensely in the NW's favour.

The Valemen are only half Andal. The Vale has the second strongest First Man relation behind the North.

Anyway, the killing of civilians is NEVER justified. I don't give a shit "Oh someone else did it" so what? If Jesus Christ raided civilians he would be a criminal too.

Plus, Robb didn't burn villages, all he did was take the gold from the mines

Only the Royces (and maybe a couple of other houses) have strong links with the First Men; the rest are as much andals as the Reach, the Westerlands and the Riverlands.

What do you think the Valemen did on their regular attacks to anhilate the Mountain Clans?

Re-read Catelyn chapters to understand what Robb was doing in the Westerlands. They plundered, burn and killed to reduce the Lannister strength and force them to chase the across the Westerlands.

3 minutes ago, OuttaOldtown said:

He's intelligent and funny, is he perfect, hell no, honorable, nope and I don't care for the so-called honorable characters. Can care less about a character being 'good', give me interesting..

I don't care if you think he is interesting or not, I'm talking about him being a morally good guy, which he isn't.

5 minutes ago, Tucu said:

Only the Royces (and maybe a couple of other houses) have strong links with the First Men; the rest are as much andals as the Reach, the Westerlands and the Riverlands.

What do you think the Valemen did on their regular attacks to anhilate the Mountain Clans?

Re-read Catelyn chapters to understand what Robb was doing in the Westerlands. They plundered, burn and killed to reduce the Lannister strength and force them to chase the across the Westerlands.

I did read Cat's chapters. All I read about was them capturing the gold mines

Just now, JWittoBeast said:

I don't care if you think he is interesting or not, I'm talking about him being a morally good guy, which he isn't.

And I say fuck morality with a 100 foot log, it's a story and not one for people who like white knight type characters. If you want a 'good guy' you're reading the wrong series..

2 minutes ago, JWittoBeast said:

Were talking opinions here.  You don't think he is, others do.  Is the point of this thread to discuss those differing opinions or is it so you can just say "you're wrong"?

Morals, after all, are subjective. 

Archived