Future of Sansa

Coolbeard the Exile

I have recently read through all the books for the first time and im actually really curious about what Sansa will do. Many people hate sansa's character and says she is a stupid girl but i don't think that is the case. In the first few books i really didn't like Sansa's chapter and i found her stupid and anoying but now she has really developed from the first book to dance and i believe she is really clever, cunning and a real contestor for the Iron Throne.

PROS & CONS OF SANSA

PROS

1. She's well versed in the westerosi court culture. She has a first hand experience of court intrigue, marriage politics and family dynamics of the nobility. She knows actually know about her kingdom.

2. She too like Dany is kind hearted. But whether she will love the common people or her love will just extend as far as the nobility like knightly chivalry is doubtful. 

3. She knows how to read people. Combined with her social skills, knowledge of court and general charm, she could be very powerful socially.

4. She is very beautiful with all the advantages that brings. 

5. She  has some far sight and organizational capacity

CONS

1. She has absolutely zero grasp or knowledge of military matters.

2. She lacks the charisma to lead an army or bind a large group of nobles to her will.

FUTURE

I believe Littlefinger will have Harrold and Robin killed and when Sansa finds out she will have him thrown out the moon door. I then think Sansa will ally with Stannis Baratheon because of the foreshadowing of patchface. The boat Sansa used to escape King's landing had a mermaid that blew a seashell and that is why i think she will ally with stannis.

I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.

Im very uncertain on what she would do next but would like you guys to present your theories and we can discuss it.

I don't think Sansa wants the Iron Throne. She is not interested in seizing power for herself, and she would never want to go back to KL.

I think she will have her revenge on LF but it may cost her her life. If she survives, she will try to go back to Winterfell and reunite with Jon, or Rickon if Davos succeeds in finding him.

In Feast, we see Sansa (now Alayne) communicating with bastards, servants, etc and not being so snob as she was previously. So maybe she has learned that lesson.

She has an extra disadvantage: Her status is controversial for Westeros. She is accused for regicide, married to a traitor, daughter and sister of rebels and traitors (at least this is the official line of the Iron Throne). This can change in Winds.

I think she will master her abilities more and take LF down. She will then be taken to KL by the Mad Mouse but she will be declared innocent. There she will play a role in the game of thrones.In the end, she will help rebuild the realm after the war.

I think the pieces are starting to fall in place for Sansa.

1. She knows Robert would marry her.

Spoiler

2. She now knows Harry the Heir would marry her.

3. She knows that Mya Stone loved Michael Redfort, and that he is now married.

4. She knows Lothor Brune likes Mya Stone.

5. She may have a better reading on both the Mad Mouse, and Lyn Corbray than LF.

6. She knows LF is hoarding food, that he killed Lysa, that Lysa killed Jon Aryn for him, and that Marillions confession was fake.

7. Last, but certainly not least, we have not been told otherwise, so I believe she still has the hairnet.

I believe her time is close.

I think the key to understanding this character is to completely avoid making any sweeping generalization of her whether positive or negative.   

On 8/27/2016 at 7:32 AM, Knight of valour said:

1. She's well versed in the westerosi court culture. She has a first hand experience of court intrigue, marriage politics and family dynamics of the nobility. She knows actually know about her kingdom

Let's examine that from where she starts her education back home in Winterfell.  She's brought up in a very privileged house, where for the most part home life is pretty good.  Catelyn describes Sansa as an early talker and acting like little lady at age 3.  It's safe to say like her brothers, she would have gotten a basic academic education from the maester.  She's described as a good reader and writer the only thing she has trouble with are sums.  So Sansa is not stupid.  She's a bright child, but being female the education she's fed starts down a path of what she needs to fulfill her gender role.  We know where both Arya and Sansa differ from their brothers is that their education is continued by a septa, a member of a wholly southron institution.  She excels in music, dance, needlework, and courtesy.  Courtesy is not just being polite.   It's understanding who's who, proper word and action in any given situation, and astute understanding of navigating the social structure.  She's an encyclopedia of sigils and knightly achievements.  Everything Sansa does, she wants to be the best at.  She's bright and an overachiever.  Being so far removed from the actual culture and only learning about it from a septa gives her a highly idealized version of what to expect.  Compound that with a love of songs and stories she learned at her father's knee that's indulged to an excessive degree.  So in some ways she is both prepared and ill-prepared for the life ahead of her.

One thing that cannot be stressed enough is how damaging her education with Septa Mordane is to both Sansa and Arya.  Septa Mordane is the embodiment of internalized patriarchy and her main mission is to make a woman-child into the most pleasing wife and mother to her noble husband, devoid of her own agency.  Because Ned and Catelyn had a happy ending to their arranged marriage, the sheltered Sansa doesn't see this as the exception to the rule.  The conflict between Sansa and Arya is not really because they are different personalities, but because they have an authority figure pointing out constantly how different they are and how great Sansa is and how bad Arya is.  Really, Ned and Catelyn should have been more on top of this.  Catelyn seems to have more practical knowledge of politics and warfare that she didn't see fit to pass on to her daughters.

2. She too like Dany is kind hearted. But whether she will love the common people or her love will just extend as far as the nobility like knightly chivalry is doubtful.

Ned definitely describes her as gentle, kind, and trusting.  She's probably the most obedient to her parents of all the children.  She's a natural "people person" and has an easy charm about her.  Sansa is at her best and most heroic when she uses her kindness to protect and uplift others.  For good or bad, likability can do a lot to persuade people to your side.  Cercei's philosophy is to rule people with fear alone and terrorize them into submission.  Sansa rejects that in her thoughts considering that she would have the people love her if she were queen.  Dany is somewhere in the middle.  She does have a kind streak, but also the fire and blood of a conqueror.  She would like the love of the people, but if it comes down to it, fire and blood will do.  Now all these approaches can be problematic when put into practice.  The love of the people can be a fickle thing.  Leadership involves more than just philosophy, you have to be able to address practical issues.  I would actually place my bets on Sansa being able to achieve this, not solely out of general kindness.  One on one, she's been able to get to the heart of what motivates people beyond a superficial understanding.  Dany's disadvantage is she already is a queen and working out her trials and errors on a real population.

I doubt she's focusing on advantages anymore.  Her conventional beauty has done nothing but made her an object.  She's a pretty face and body to possess.  Not a real person with feelings and a will of her own.  This is where real life has collided with all her septa's teachings.  She finds what's really important to her is being loved for herself and a marriage/sex of mutual desire.  She recalls her septa telling her all men are beautiful (i.e. suppress your own feelings about an undesirable husband and submit to your duty) on her wedding night to Tyrion.  As much as she tries, she cannot force herself to desire him.  

2. She lacks the charisma to lead an army or bind a large group of nobles to her will.

While it's true as a female she wasn't trained in martial skills, I would point out the language the author uses in Sansa's POV and how it parallels with warfare.  No other character is so closely associated with literal dancing and singing like Sansa is.  Dancing is often used as a euphemism by men for combat.  Consider Arya's style of swordplay is called "water dancing."  Dancing is not just compared to any violence, it's a honed skill of attacks and defensive maneuvers.  In both Jon and Arya chapters, they mention the "singing" of steel in the clashing of swords.  Singing in Sansa's chapters also has a subtle sexual subtext as well as the phallic nature of swords.  Apply that to swordplay and you get the euphoria of combat described by Jaime.  By word choice, I think the author is telling us Sansa is metaphorically being trained to do battle on a field of court intrigues and politics.  Another word Sansa is closely associated with is "armor," specifically courtesy being a lady's armor.  It highlights Sansa as a protector and shield for both herself and others.  She dons her armor to protect herself from abuse and uses it to shield Dontos from Joffrey's wrath.  Yet she also has a sword of her own to wield:  "lies and Arbor Gold."  That phrase is associated with Littlefinger and it's a mistake to think this is where Sansa first is exposed to this lesson.  It's Sandor Clegane, a warrior, that advises her "lie and give him what he wants" in regards to Joffrey.  The best defense is a good offense in that case.  Anticipate the coming abuse and counter it.  You can't always successfully avoid every blow, but you can mitigate damage and live to keep fighting.  That's very different from "lies and Arbor Gold" for self-serving profit at the expense of others while dodging accountability.   So while she won't be a literal warrior, there's such an abundance of martial language here that the author is clearly pointing out she will be a warrior in her own way.    

Note also when Sansa is exposed to combat like in a tourney or training yard, she is a very astute observer of the details of the fight.  She seems to have a natural intellectual understanding of the art of combat, but she wasn't a boy so never got to put it into practice herself.  I think your second assertion though is too speculative at this point to say that with confidence.   She hasn't been put in a position yet where that is even possible.  How can she martial an actual army when she's still in hiding for regicide under the guise of a bastard?  That part needs to get resolved first then we'll see how it plays out.      

As far as her overall arc goes, the path that's been established in the first and second acts is moving her from a pawn with no choice to a confident woman who is now making her own choices.  It doesn't matter if those choices are for good or for bad.  The point is making her own decisions, which will most likely be seen in her choice of marriage / sex partner.  She has a brief encounter with Allaria Sand and Oberyn Martell and her curiosity is piqued.  She's never seen an unmarried woman before of bastard status in a happy, open relationship with a highborn.  Allaria is confident and appealing and reported to worship a Lysene love goddess (no Maiden, Mother or Crone there).  She also befriends Myranda Rhoyce, a young woman that owns her own sexuality and is a very independent spirit.  Those are very different examples of womanhood than traditional society would have.  There's also the prophecy that she will slay a giant in a castle of snow, most likely a nod she will be the undoing of LF and there's plenty of set up for this.  I'm leaning towards the northern justice of beheading.  After that, I think it's wildly speculative to say if she'll live or die (there's no solid foreshadowing of that either way), married or unmarried (I'm leaning toward married because of her dream symbolism), happy or sad ending so long as she completes her overall arc of achieving a level of choice.                                          

On August 27, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Knight of valour said:

I have recently read through all the books for the first time and im actually really curious about what Sansa will do. Many people hate sansa's character and says she is a stupid girl but i don't think that is the case. In the first few books i really didn't like Sansa's chapter and i found her stupid and anoying but now she has really developed from the first book to dance and i believe she is really clever, cunning and a real contestor for the Iron Throne.

PROS & CONS OF SANSA

PROS

1. She's well versed in the westerosi court culture. She has a first hand experience of court intrigue, marriage politics and family dynamics of the nobility. She knows actually know about her kingdom.

3. She knows how to read people. Combined with her social skills, knowledge of court and general charm, she could be very powerful socially.

5. She  has some far sight and organizational capacity

CONS

FUTURE

I believe Littlefinger will have Harrold and Robin killed and when Sansa finds out she will have him thrown out the moon door. I then think Sansa will ally with Stannis Baratheon because of the foreshadowing of patchface. The boat Sansa used to escape King's landing had a mermaid that blew a seashell and that is why i think she will ally with stannis.

I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.

Im very uncertain on what she would do next but would like you guys to present your theories and we can discuss it.

I could see her throwing Baelish out the moon door but with the Eyrie closed for the winter how will it happen?

i think she will use all that she had learned to help Bran or Jon to fight the last battle. 

She he will never have a happy marriage to a handsome prince. Maybe she and Tyrion will reunite &  need to have a child for the good of the realm and she will die in childbirth.

10 hours ago, Flavia Gemina said:

I could see her throwing Baelish out the moon door but with the Eyrie closed for the winter how will it happen?

i think she will use all that she had learned to help Bran or Jon to fight the last battle. 

She he will never have a happy marriage to a handsome prince. Maybe she and Tyrion will reunite &  need to have a child for the good of the realm and she will die in childbirth.

I hope it never ends with the dwarf Tyrion, horrible couple is preferable sandor or jon.

30 minutes ago, principenoprometido said:

I hope it never ends with the dwarf Tyrion, horrible couple is preferable sandor or jon.

I love Tyrion and I like Sansa or Alayne rather, but that really made me chuckle.   They are a bad match.   I think it's wishful thinking to have them end up together.   I think the best we can hope for them mutually is forgiveness.    I could see Sansa going the way of Elizabeth 1 who I actually see some parallels to in Sansa.  Gads, even poor Elizabeth was declared a bastard for a while.   Sad as that could be, I could see Sansa doing all the right things once she got out from under all these bloodsuckers who want her claim.   It's clear that she's wising up.   I think it's a stretch that she will actually get her hands dirty with any act, specifically tossing Little Finger out of the Moon Door, but it's not unlikely that she will absolutely cause his downfall and demise.   And like Elizabeth, I don't see any marriage in Sansa's future.   

This whole Mad Mouse will abscond with her, again, against her will and force her to face Cersei is something I really don't see or want.   It's time for Sansa to become independent.   If she's able to use her charm to gain the support of all the Lords Declarant, Robert, Harry, hell, even the Mad Mouse, all the better.   Enough Sansa torture and peril already.  

19 hours ago, shameeka said:

I don't think Sansa wants the Iron Throne. She is not interested in seizing power for herself, and she would never want to go back to KL.

This is my opinion too. I know this thread is about Sansa, but I just wanted to draw a bit of a connection.  Jon was held hostage at Castle Black, Bran at that life-zapping tree, Arya by the Faceless Men, and Sansa at Kings Landing. As of this past season, all of them have rejected what "fate" had in store for them. They were all kept prisoner in some way. All of them mistreated, misled, and betrayed. None of those causes have great things in store for any of the Stark kids.   

I'm not saying that all 4 will live in Winterfell together, but I believe they will reconnect and carry that "home" with them wherever they go.  Why would any of them want to go back to being pawns and tools? 

12 hours ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

One thing that cannot be stressed enough is how damaging her education with Septa Mordane is to both Sansa and Arya.  Septa Mordane is the embodiment of internalized patriarchy and her main mission is to make a woman-child into the most pleasing wife and mother to her noble husband, devoid of her own agency.  Because Ned and Catelyn had a happy ending to their arranged marriage, the sheltered Sansa doesn't see this as the exception to the rule.  The conflict between Sansa and Arya is not really because they are different personalities, but because they have an authority figure pointing out constantly how different they are and how great Sansa is and how bad Arya is.                                         

Your post was beautiful. The above stood out for me most of all. Ned and Cat contributed too. Like most parents they created their own little bubble, thinking that it would that it would stick to their kids throughout their lives. They both hoped and expected better for their kids. But it doesn't matter how much you educate, invest in, train, and plan the future of your kids. Life just happens.

Back on track though -  

Being told you're great constantly leaves with constant anxiety to never fall out of favour. Being told you're bad constantly leaves you feeling that you've "failed" and that you do not belong. In both cases love is interpreted as being payment for "good" behaviour.

This is part of the reason I don't blame Sansa for anything she did or said in season 1. She was taught that as long as you do what the adults in your life tell you to do, you and everyone else will be fine. She behaved this way with her parents and actually received real love. This guaranteed that, which given a tiny bit of freedom, she would have favoured all the wrong people and have major issues with going against authority (real authority, not just doting parents). 

Arya on the other hand, did have some idea that love is unconditional. But from the very beginning believes she's loved "despite" who she is. She isn't a "proper lady", so she must then choose something else. As much as she wanted to be no one and live in a world where she was valued and rewarded for her skill, those people gave her false love. They freaking beat her and blinded her. She doesn't have to go through things like that to have a place. 

You get a lot of this "typing" and "judging" (although not intentionally) from the perspectives of those that think of them. Jon for example, in his chapters. And Brans too I think. This past season we saw a lot of Jon constantly trying to compartmentalize Sansa (into her little Sansa box), and then being visibly shocked when she would reply with a clear "No".  It follows I guess. But it's mildly frustrating to watch him completely miss the mark with her multiple times.

I can't wait until these two sisters meet again. They're both grown now. Guaranteed that these two are the only ones that are never going to try box the other in. 

Thank you!  

1 hour ago, Lady Ren said:

Being told you're great constantly leaves you with a lot of pressure: to never fall out of favour. Being told you're bad constantly leaves you feeling disenfranchised: that you do not belong. In both cases love is interpreted as being payment for "good" behaviour.

This is part of the reason I don't blame Sansa for anything she did or said in season 1. She was taught to submit, show grace, and prey for better. She was taught that as long as you do what the adults in your life tell you to do, you and everyone else will be fine. She behaved this way with her parents and actually received real love. This guaranteed that, which given a tiny bit of freedom, she would have favoured all the wrong people. 

Arya on the other hand, did have some idea that love is unconditional.  She believes she's loved despite who she is. She isn't a "proper lady", so she must then choose something else. 

Bolded:  Is this in essence (to a more extreme degree) how Jaime and Tyrion were raised?  They had a natural brotherly love, but it was poisoned by Tywin and Cercei.  We don't get snippets of times when Arya and Sansa had sisterly love until much later.  Sansa recalls a memory of running freely through Winterfell with Jeyne and Arya, just playing and being girls.  Jeyne is also a little responsible too, as she's the one that came up with "Arya Horseface" most likely because she is lowborn and benefits from riding on Sansa's coattails.  Exploiting their differences keeps Sansa bound to her.  I don't really hold Jeyne too responsible as she was also an impressionable child picking up on the attitudes of authority figures.  I don't want to Catelyn bash, because she has her good qualities too, but she didn't really understand Arya's strengths and she didn't nurture Sansa's bright mind with more academics and practical skills.  Though I don't doubt they were loved, it seems like there was some lowered expectations for the girls, which is a softer form of misogyny.  Although, I initially though the way they were written in the beginning was a little stereotypical, I'm glad it's gotten a more nuanced view of their relationship.  It would be pretty typical to villain-ize the feminine sister and make the sister with more masculine attributes the hero and make them compete with one another, especially over a male hero.  Yet plenty of readers still read them as stereotypes, which is clearly not where the author is going. 

Not trying to get too far off track, but since we're on internalized misogyny the worst example is by far Cercei.  I think in the beginning Sansa dreams of being a queen because she's sheltered and she's got nothing but pretty thoughts of what a queen is.  I think underneath the pageantry, being a queen means to Sansa (naively) a woman that is empowered.  It's not really a true autonomous empowerment because it rests on an arranged marriage to a husband and your body is both his and property of the state.  She may have the highest status possible in Westerosi culture, but she's essentially the highest ranking broodmare.  Cercei constantly laments that she should have been born male and she should have wielded a sword.  While I am and Ned is sympathetic to the marital rapes and abuse Robert inflicts on Cercei, she has no issues with other women being abused or raped.  She doesn't see the problem as violence against women is wrong.  What's wrong is that she wasn't born with a cock; therefore she's on the wrong end of the deal.  She cynically advises Sansa she should learn to use her sexuality as currency.  That further shows she sees women as having no value except as a vessel for men's needs and implicitly that it's not possible for a real man to view a woman otherwise.  Fortunately, Sansa is quickly rejecting all this as reality comes crashing into her preconceived notions.  She repeatedly says in her internal dialog she wants love and mutual desire, which is why she most likely will resist LF's attempts to corrupt her morally and sexually.  Despite her mistakes in choosing the wrong people sometimes, she never submits in this regard.

Second bolded:  She definitely get the unconditional love from Jon, who can relate to her "otherness."  Without him though, I think though she is loved, she's still a problem to be fixed.  She can partly get away with this for a while because she's still a child, but she's only a few years away from flowering herself.  Ned obviously indulges her quite a bit because she's so much like Lyanna, but he doesn't give her much guidance, leaving her in a place where she's acting out her skewed ideas about right and wrong.  While Sansa would be on the surface, the more socially acceptable girl, she's finding through her trials that she too wants to be loved for herself and she's not really so obedient, but has a little Arya wicked defiant streak as well.  

While Sansa has a mastery of the social graces (for better or worse), Arya completely ignores them and is the most likely child to cross class boundaries.  While it's admirable that she can befriend people of lower birth, she fails to see that she has the privilege of nobility to rely on.  Small folk have no such luxury of jumping class boundaries without severe consequences.  She naively believes her black and white sense of right and wrong and force of will can prevail, but that's not how things work.  Sansa's approach to conflict is more diplomatic and naively believes she can smooth things over with the right choice of words.  Both approaches can be great tools in an arsenal, but they have to be honed for the right situation.  In that sense the girls are very complimentary.  Both have defended vulnerable people successfully against a bully and both in their own way strove to protect their father and failed.  I think what this means for their arcs is that they are actually working out their differences through surrogates and mentors, most notably they are tied together through Sandor.  Sansa learns to defend herself and even makes some attacks of her own and Arya starts to learn a more nuanced view of others to start being more deliberate in her choice of when to use violence. I am most definitely hoping for a reunion between these two because I think they will be a magic duo.           

Maybe she will try to kill Littlefinger after knowing the role on her father's death but Baelish will seize and arrest or even kill her. If she succeeds she will go North to Winterfell to get together with Jon but will then go South, probably to the Riverlands, due to the war against the Others. After the end or the war if Jon survives and Daenerys dies as I predict Jon might resign from the Iron Throne and she could very well became Queen.

On 8/28/2016 at 8:39 AM, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

She's described as a good reader and writer the only thing she has trouble with are sums.  

Can you or anyone else on this thread please explain this to me: Sansa is known to be excellent at sewing and designing her dresses. How can she have such poor math skills when sewing/designing  obviously has so much math in it? Is she being an unreliable narrator? I think she says this about herself in the books and Arya also mentions it. Could she be purposely trying to down play her math abilities? It doesn't make sense to me at all. If she was so poor at math her dresses would look awful. 

On 8/28/2016 at 8:22 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I think the pieces are starting to fall in place for Sansa.

1. She knows Robert would marry her.

Hide contents

2. She now knows Harry the Heir would marry her.

3. She knows that Mya Stone loved Michael Redfort, and that he is now married.

4. She knows Lothor Brune likes Mya Stone.

5. She may have a better reading on both the Mad Mouse, and Lyn Corbray than LF.

6. She knows LF is hoarding food, that he killed Lysa, that Lysa killed Jon Aryn for him, and that Marillions confession was fake.

7. Last, but certainly not least, we have not been told otherwise, so I believe she still has the hairnet.

I believe her time is close.

She heard Lysa say that she killed Jon Arryn for him, but did she truly process it? 

On 8/28/2016 at 7:31 AM, Endymion I Targaryen said:

In Feast, we see Sansa (now Alayne) communicating with bastards, servants, etc and not being so snob as she was previously. So maybe she has learned that lesson.

I think she will master her abilities more and take LF down. She will then be taken to KL by the Mad Mouse but she will be declared innocent. There she will play a role in the game of thrones.In the end, she will help rebuild the realm after the war.

Spoiler

Myranda's use of horseface in winds was an echo of this...

Jeyne used to call her Arya Horseface, and neigh whenever she came near. It hurt that the one thing Arya could do better than her sister was ride a horse.

Arya I, Game 7

And this...

One day she came back grinning her horsey grin, her hair all tangled and her clothes covered in mud, clutching a raggedy bunch of purple and green flowers for Father. Sansa kept hoping he would tell Arya to behave herself and act like the highborn lady she was supposed to be, but he never did, he only hugged her and thanked her for the flowers. That just made her worse.

Sansa I, Game 15

Sansa and her new best friend in Winds are a lot like Sansa and her old best friend in Game

For just a little while, as she ran, she forget who she was, and where, and found herself remembering bright cold days at Winterfell, when she would race through Winterfell with her friend Jeyne Poole, with Arya running after them trying to keep up.

Sansa, Winds

Similarly, Harold's initial disdain was an echo of this...

He missed the girls too, even Sansa, who never called him anything but "my half brother" since she was old enough to understand what bastard meant.

Jon III, Game 19

And this...

If this was what the Night's Watch was truly like, she felt sorry for her bastard half brother, Jon.

Sansa III, Game 44

And Arya, not Sansa, is the the maid that will slay Littlefinger, the savage giant.

20 hours ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

Although, I initially though the way they were written in the beginning was a little stereotypical, I'm glad it's gotten a more nuanced view of their relationship.  It would be pretty typical to villain-ize the feminine sister and make the sister with more masculine attributes the hero and make them compete with one another, especially over a male hero.  Yet plenty of readers still read them as stereotypes, which is clearly not where the author is going.            

Yes, I know what you mean. That's why it's hard to discuss one of them without bringing up the other. Sansa and Arya portrayed as two "types", but in the best possible way. Not in the competitive way most are projecting. I don't understand why the idea of one of them "winning" over the other is so appealing. If either one of them, after all they've been through, reduced life to a competition in that way, I would wash my hands and walk away. Easily. 

- sorry about the book/show confusion. Carry on. 

Archived