Werthead

The Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb

147 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I should think that being a woman in Chalced is considerably worse than being a woman in Saudi Arabia.

Although things may change under the rule of Chassim.  But, she may be a ruthless tyrant in other ways.

Edited by SeanF

Hobb is great at writing from animal POVs (even fantasy animals) in the sense it never reads like it's a person seeing through the animals mind.

Thanks for the Burritch reminder, I knew chalcid rang a bell from the farseer books but I felt like I hadn't met any of them.

I think Slick Mongoose told me once that the thing about Hobb's books is that it's about characters trying to make the best decision out of two bad ones and then inevitably discovering the outcome is bad. This feels particularly true in ship of magic especially with wintro.

Finished. I thought it was a very strong book and would have probably been my favourite Hobb book so far if not for my issues with Kyle and how things fell into his lap.

I like how the slaves freed themselves of Kyle's crew before Kennet took over. I also like the potential chemstry between Kennet, Wintro and Vivacia (and etta's hatred of it). I'm curious as to whether Wintro means to stay with Vivacia now or whether he'll try and go back to the priesthood. Oddly I could see him thriving alongside Kennet. While Kennet's capture of the ship was a fitting place to end the story it did feel like everything else was left somewhat on pause. Althea gets to end on a positive note (given she doesn't know the Vivacia is further away from her grasp than ever) and Malta and co were paused. I'm not entirely sure what Brashun's function in the story is at the moment. And perhaps something more final for Paragon would have been nice

I'll definitely be checking the next book out but will probably read a couple of other author's first. I think the goal remains to do this series before the end of the year.

It still feels like the most adaptable work by Hobb in terms of TV.

One odd question - where exactly are the "bodies" of the liveships? I figured they were mastheads but that confuses me spatially as there were so many scenes where characters on board the ship could see the figureheads and physically interact with them. It made sense for Paragon as I imagine they just stood in front of the ship. I was more confused at how people could play dice with one of them and how the crew seemed to interact with Vivacia while at sea.

Posted (edited)

On 13/03/2017 at 5:45 PM, red snow said:

Hide contents

One odd question - where exactly are the "bodies" of the liveships? I figured they were mastheads but that confuses me spatially as there were so many scenes where characters on board the ship could see the figureheads and physically interact with them. It made sense for Paragon as I imagine they just stood in front of the ship. I was more confused at how people could play dice with one of them and how the crew seemed to interact with Vivacia while at sea.

I picture a figurehead a bit like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MthkAP3oK7o/U557L08S1MI/AAAAAAAAIsY/3YqlQ69WaUA/s1600/Kalamar_Nycel_bow_figurehead.jpg

But much, much bigger and able to swivel 360 degrees to interact with people.

And human instead of lion. :P

Edited by Slick Mongoose

Does Ophelia not have some kind of alteration that allows her to dice with people? 

10 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

I picture a figurehead a bit like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MthkAP3oK7o/U557L08S1MI/AAAAAAAAIsY/3YqlQ69WaUA/s1600/Kalamar_Nycel_bow_figurehead.jpg

But much, much bigger and able to swivel 360 degrees to interact with people.

And human instead of lion. :P

That's how i feel it should look too. I guess weirdwood is animated and more flexible so if the figureheads can simply turn around that solves most of my spatial imagination limitations :)

On 3/14/2017 at 4:45 AM, red snow said:

It still feels like the most adaptable work by Hobb in terms of TV.

The ship's body, i thought was the ship itself, but the best place to hear her reply would be the bow of the ship, particularly for non family members. Family members have the whole telepathy thing going on