Twyin's heir to Casterly Rock

Endymion I Targaryen

What was Twyin's plan for succesion in Casterly Rock? Probably he planned for Joffrey to release Jaime of his oath and make him his heir. But what would he do if he wasn't killed by Tyrion (as Jaime refused to leave the Kingsguard)? Or what if Jaime was killed in Riverrun?

A. Would he name Tommen his heir?

B. Would he name Tyrion his heir?

C. Would he name Lancel his heir?

What if Twyin died before Robert? Would Cersei take Casterly Rock and put a castellan to rule during her absence(like she did in Feast for Crows)?

37 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

Kevan, his brother, was his chosen heir, and he controls all the resources of House Lannister. As for who is the Lord Parmount and Lord of Casterly Rock, I'd imagine it's Cersei on paper.

No need to imagine! She is listed in the appendix of the latest books as Lady of Casterly Rock, addressed by Kevan as such and made decisions regarding it's governance that were implemented by other family members, when she appointed her cousins as Warden of the West and Castellan of Casterly Rock, specifically.

However, there is not a single suggestion or hint that Tywin was considering his brother Kevan as his chosen heir; it was always Jaime and he somehow (and probably irrationally) expected Jaime to reject his Kingsguard oaths and claim the Lannister Birthright. Nor, is it really clear that Kevan was the one holding together the Lannister family firm. 

Kevan himself defines his own situation:

""By what right do you presume to give me terms? You are no more than one of my father's household knights."

"I hold no lands, that is true. But I have certain incomes, and chests of coin set aside. My own father forgot none of his children when he died, and Tywin knew how to reward good service. I feed two hundred knights and can double that number if need be. There are freeriders who will follow my banner, and I have the gold to hire sellswords. You would be wise not to take me lightly, Your Grace . . . and wiser still not to make of me a foe.""

1 hour ago, Dofs said:

Tywin was obsessed with Jaime being the heir. But after Jaime, he actually really considered Tyrion as a real substitute back in GoT, when he believed Jaime to be in mortal danger.

The text doesn't come right out and say Tywin considered Tyrion his heir.   Later text does come right out and say Tywin had no intention of making Tyrion his heir.   Tywin had every intention of Tyrion going as far away from Tywin and Kings Landing as he could get him.   Tywin's plan was to reel Tyrion in to get him used to leading so he could ship off to the North.   He needed eyes on Cersei so he could play at war and who knows, maybe after the drains at Casterly Rock ran so well Tywin recognized something in Tyrion.  Tywin saw the big picture with Joffrey and Sansa, that marriage wasn't going to happen.   Sansa was a virtual hostage so why not take advantage of the opportunity to force her to Lannister will and gain the North in the bargain?  Even if Jamie was killed, I doubt Tywin would have ever entertained the idea of making Tyrion heir. 

On 28/08/2016 at 10:07 PM, Daena the Defiant said:

No need to imagine! She is listed in the appendix of the latest books as Lady of Casterly Rock, addressed by Kevan as such and made decisions regarding it's governance that were implemented by other family members, when she appointed her cousins as Warden of the West and Castellan of Casterly Rock, specifically.

However, there is not a single suggestion or hint that Tywin was considering his brother Kevan as his chosen heir; it was always Jaime and he somehow (and probably irrationally) expected Jaime to reject his Kingsguard oaths and claim the Lannister Birthright. Nor, is it really clear that Kevan was the one holding together the Lannister family firm. 

Kevan himself defines his own situation:

""By what right do you presume to give me terms? You are no more than one of my father's household knights."

"I hold no lands, that is true. But I have certain incomes, and chests of coin set aside. My own father forgot none of his children when he died, and Tywin knew how to reward good service. I feed two hundred knights and can double that number if need be. There are freeriders who will follow my banner, and I have the gold to hire sellswords. You would be wise not to take me lightly, Your Grace . . . and wiser still not to make of me a foe.""

Tywin is nothing if not a pragmatist and a realist. He knows that Jaime will not revoke his vows even if he was allowed (which he is). Futhermore he knows Jaime won't be his heir if he is forced out of the Kingsguard. Their relationship deteriorates rapidly throughout the books, with Tywin considering him nothing more than a fool and a glorified bodyguard. We know he will never allow Tyrion to be his heir purely because he hates him. He thinks Cersei is too foolish and reckless to rule, as well as having Baratheon heirs. So who else would he leave the Rock to but his right hand man and very close brother Kevan? We know Kevan has served Tywin loyally and competently his whole life. He has watched his brother and has learned how to govern and lead armies. Tywin knows that Kevan is the safest option as the Rock will still stay in his immediate family and not go to some distant cousin. The fact that it is Kevan who immediately takes control of the Rock and the Lannister forces following Tywin's death point to him being the heir, if not on paper? Tywin was not a young man, nor a foolish one, surely in all the years of him ruling he must have thought he would die without a proper heir? Kevan would surely have been partial to his brother and lord's decision regarding the future of their house if he should die prematurely. To me it is clear, Kevan was Tywin's chosen heir.

Archived