Daenerys vs Viserys: would Viserys have been as good or better than Daenerys for getting the Throne

rhaeger's bro

Danerys

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30100000/Game-of-Thrones-game-of-thrones-30187151-1024-576.png

Viserys

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/546167183156723712/hpE5Mv6_.jpeg

Daenerys is a strong leader, knows how to stand up for what is right, and is benevolent over all, cares for her people

and knows how to mingle herself in with them.

(like how she is able to lead the Dothraki, though a little differently than Khal Drogo did, and also how she saved the slaves in season 3)

Viserys was Not very good-spirited, but he seemed like he was a mastermind. He knew how to devise plans that would theoretically have gotten him to Westeros and get him the throne if it had gone according to plan.

- taking the dragon eggs and selling them would give him enough Money to buy the ships and an army

(though he was a thief. his sense of entitlement made him feel like he could steal it behind his sister's back, so jorah stopped him).

- Also, He did have something to barter to Drogo, that would potentially give him a crown and the Dothraki army, though

morally it was the wrong thing (his sister). kinda sick & twisted, but worked for a little while.

But for him losing his temper against his sister in season 1 episodes 3-6, his whole plan probably would have worked.  

I think it was esp. episode 3, where the Dothraki caught him threatening and cussing Dany out, that instantly put him on their "loser" list and Drogo ended the bargain.

If only he had just exercised a bit of patience, and calm himself down. a few reckless mistakes that cost him big time.

Dany is the one with a pure "heart"; Viserys is (or was) a "mastermind" but only  when he is in a good mood. (and its not very often). 

personally, i would go with Daenerys. what do you guys think?

I think he would have tried and failed, He seemed to impatient and I imagine he would have went to Westeros too soon underprepared and with half the men he would really need to take the throne, he would also most likely not listen to any advisors who would suggest he stays in Esso's and bides his time.

Dany although in the end makes up her own mind listens to others and takes on board what they are saying.

Mastermind?  He was an idiot who lacked any sense of diplomacy or subtlety.  He has the "brilliant" idea to sell literally the only "thing" he has left - his sister.  Which is something that literally anyone from Westeros would likewise know they might need to do to form an alliance. Dany herself knows it as we saw in ep 6-10

But rather than use her to, say, strike up an alliance (eg with the Dornish, or golden company or someone in the free cities) he decides he's going to sell her to a leader of a band of horse lords who don't actually even have a word for "sell" (in Dothraki, Viserys gave a "gift" of Daenerys, and maybe his new friends might consider giving him a "gift" later).  And then instead of working with the alliance he CHOSE to make he acts like a spoiled petulant child, making it impossible for him to get anything out of it.

the other plan you mentioned - to sell the dragon eggs.  Well, Dany got those as a wedding present.  Implying that her hand in marraige was WAY more valuable than the egg.  And his plan was... What...  Pawn them off somewhere and order some sell swords to storm kings landing?  Good luck with that one.  Dragons eggs aren't THAT valuable.  Again he would need allies - and thus diplomacy.  Which he doesn't have.

And in the end, considering that Dany has three dragons, how smart would selling them have been.  So Viserys would have (and by the way, if his plans were so great how come he's "the Beggar King" in Essos instead of King of the Seven Kingdoms?) had a few sell sword companies that would have abandoned him as soon as the going got tough.  And then what would he have done?  If Khal Drogo had lived to invade Westeros it would have been because of Dany, not because of Viserys.  And if your troops have no personal loyalty to you or your cause then they're going to bail on you at the first sign of adversity.  People follow Dany because of what she has done, Viserys expects people to follow him because he's the "King".

On 8/31/2016 at 11:22 PM, A spoon of knife and fork said:

Mastermind?  He was an idiot who lacked any sense of diplomacy or subtlety.  He has the "brilliant" idea to sell literally the only "thing" he has left - his sister.  Which is something that literally anyone from Westeros would likewise know they might need to do to form an alliance. Dany herself knows it as we saw in ep 6-10

But rather than use her to, say, strike up an alliance (eg with the Dornish, or golden company or someone in the free cities) he decides he's going to sell her to a leader of a band of horse lords who don't actually even have a word for "sell" (in Dothraki, Viserys gave a "gift" of Daenerys, and maybe his new friends might consider giving him a "gift" later).  And then instead of working with the alliance he CHOSE to make he acts like a spoiled petulant child, making it impossible for him to get anything out of it.

the other plan you mentioned - to sell the dragon eggs.  Well, Dany got those as a wedding present.  Implying that her hand in marraige was WAY more valuable than the egg.  And his plan was... What...  Pawn them off somewhere and order some sell swords to storm kings landing?  Good luck with that one.  Dragons eggs aren't THAT valuable.  Again he would need allies - and thus diplomacy.  Which he doesn't have.

Agreed.

Further, there seems to be some discussion here that "credits" (my word) Viserys for "his" plan to "sell" Dany to Drogo.  

Uhhhhh....someone may correct me here, but even if that HAD been a good plan, wasn't it the brain child of Varys and Ilyrio Mopatis???  I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever hearing that Viserys hatched that plot  My understanding was always that it was Varys and Ilyrio, and Viserys just went along with it

(Side note, though: I always thought the guy who played Viserys did a great job, as so many other actors have done on the show.)..

Archived