Was Lyanna Stark the Knight of the Laughing Tree?

Free folk Daemon

53 minutes ago, WalkinDude said:

So because we have nothing in the text to show that Lyanna had a baritone or bass voice, to suggest she put on a helmet and made her voice drop 3 octaves, is an incredible leap in my opinion.

While girls do not have a bass or baritone voice, women can have a booming voice. Kathleen Turner's voice is referred to in articles as "booming". She is a low-pitch voiced woman. My voice booms, just ask any pupil of mine (it's easier for me to make my voice boom, than it not booming). I also am a low-pitch voiced woman. Genna Lannister's voice booms, without a helmet. And even when Turner, Genna and I were 14 our voices were not some high-pitch screech and already capable of booming, since women mature hormonally earlier than boys on average and women don't go through a breaking of the voice either. So, a woman of 21 with a sultry voice would have a sultry voice at 14 too, just slightly more sultry at 21, and even more with seniority.

The key is that the knight was speaking through his helm. It doesn't say that the person under the helm had an inherently booming voice. It just describes the resonant effect of the voice as the knight spoke the phrase "Teach your squires honor, that shall be ransom enough" through his helm. One need not go out on a limb to say that whoever the knight was spoke that phrase with a little extra something. And more speculatively, I don't think we can automatically assume that adult Howland had a deeper voice than Lyanna.

18 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The biggest forum scandal of 2016 shall be dubbed "Booming-gate" :commie:

You obviously missed pie-gate on another thread (I think the one about the genetics of dragonriders) if you think booming-gate is the biggest scandal. TWOW sample chapter spoilers:

The Umber that rescues Jeyne and Theon tests to see if Jeyne is really Arya by asking the name of Winterfell's cook. While doing so, he mentions that the last time he was at Winterfell he ate a steak and kidney pie. In Bran's chapter where we actually see said feast, only a venison pie is mentioned. The conclusion of the OP of this particular thread is that, therefore, Umber must be lying about the pie. Why? Because George wants to lay clues that not everything is as it seems. Even though: Umber has no reason to lie, there could easily have been an unmentioned steak and kidney pie, George may have forgotten the exact pie and didn't think it was important enough to check or Umber may have forgotten himself. And thus, pie-gate was born.

4 hours ago, WalkinDude said:

Or Rhaegar gave her the roses because he believed he needed to have a child with her to fulfill the prophecy.  We know Ella couldn't have more children and Rhaegar thought there had to be 3 heads of the dragon.  

Not at that stage.  IIRC Elia hadn't given birth to Aegon by the Tourney of Harrenhal so Rhaegar couldn't possibly have known about the difficult birth and the end of Elia's potential child-bearing.  So he didn't need to scout for baby incubators at that point.

1 hour ago, WalkinDude said:

Except that boom is synonymous with  deep and loud - http://www.dictionary.com/browse/booming?s=t.  It's from the lower spectrum of audible tones.  A roar (like a lion) is also a lower octave.  So because we have nothing in the text to show that Lyanna had a baritone or bass voice, to suggest she put on a helmet and made her voice drop 3 octaves, is an incredible leap in my opinion.  I think all the ties to Howland and his magic point to him having some kind of involvement with the KOTLT.  I'm not saying it was him, it could have been Lyanna, but with Howland's assistance.

I think I've already pointed out, where's the flaw with the "but Lyanna didn't have a booming voice" objection: neither, to our knowledge, did Howland. So if this is argument against her, it's the argument against him, too.

Plus, that can be plausibly explained by the narrator's emotions. Howland got his ass handed to him by three teenage bullies. The nest day, out of nowhere, the Knight of the Laughing Tree appears, rights the wrongs, protects the weak, kicks three blue-blooded arses, wins a substantial prize of three horses and armors, yet sneezes at all that and demands only that they "teach their squires honor, that shall be ransom enough". The perfect knight. You bet that at that moment, in Howland's ears, he sounded more impressive, more magnificent, than all knights in the world. "He spoke in a booming voice through his helm"? Of course he did. Or at least that's how did it sound to the little crannogman.

13 minutes ago, maudisdottir said:

Not at that stage.  IIRC Elia hadn't given birth to Aegon by the Tourney of Harrenhal so Rhaegar couldn't possibly have known about the difficult birth and the end of Elia's potential child-bearing.  So he didn't need to scout for baby incubators at that point.

That seems almost certain to be correct. Rhaegar and Elia married in 280. Rhaenys was born in 280. Elia was bedridden for half a year after the birth of Rhaenys. Even if they conceived in the first month of 280 and Rhaenys was born in the ninth month of 280, and Aegon was conceived immediately half a year after Rhaenys was born, Aegon would still be born toward the very end of 281. While we are not told how long Elia recovered, as we are told in the case of Rhaenys, it seems unlikely that she gave birth to Aegon, which is said to have almost killed her, and then attended the tourney before the close of the year. Only after she gave birth to Aegon did the maesters says she would bear no more children.

2 hours ago, WSmith84 said:

You obviously missed pie-gate on another thread (I think the one about the genetics of dragonriders) if you think booming-gate is the biggest scandal. TWOW sample chapter spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

The Umber that rescues Jeyne and Theon tests to see if Jeyne is really Arya by asking the name of Winterfell's cook. While doing so, he mentions that the last time he was at Winterfell he ate a steak and kidney pie. In Bran's chapter where we actually see said feast, only a venison pie is mentioned. The conclusion of the OP of this particular thread is that, therefore, Umber must be lying about the pie. Why? Because George wants to lay clues that not everything is as it seems. Even though: Umber has no reason to lie, there could easily have been an unmentioned steak and kidney pie, George may have forgotten the exact pie and didn't think it was important enough to check or Umber may have forgotten himself. And thus, pie-gate was born.

Seriously???? GRRM reaaaally needs to drop TWOW. 

3 hours ago, WSmith84 said:

Reveal hidden contents

25 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Seriously???? GRRM reaaaally needs to drop TWOW. 

2 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

Boom goes the Laughin'-Knight!

Chicka Chicka's boom boom! Sending champions to their doom doom!

Boom, boom, boom, she shakes the room!

There are too many gates open in the garden :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Daena is the most famed of the three sisters, and was the most loved—for her beauty as much as her fierce courage. She was known as a skilled horsewoman, a fearsome archer with the Dornish bow her brother Daeron had brought back from his conquests, and she was practiced at riding at rings (though she was never allowed to ride in a tourney, despite her efforts to the contrary). Daena quickly became known as the Defiant, for she was the most restless of the three sisters in her imprisonment, and on three separate occasions escaped disguised as a servant or one of the smallfolk. She even contrived, toward the end of Baelor's reign, to get herself with child—though some might say it would have been better had she been less defiant, for all the trouble that son brought to the realm.  - TWoIaF, The Targaryen Kings, Baelor

Daena was Targaryen to the bone; strong, beautiful, wilful. Her silver-gold hair was thick and curly, a wild untamed mane that tumbled down across her shoulders and framed a heart-shaped face, a pair of sparling purple eyes, and a fearless "I'll dare anything" smile. She was a wild almost from birth, lithe and athletic, a runner, a climber, and an expert horsewoman. "I was born to ride a dragon," she liked to say, but the dragons were dead. Daena was expert at riding at the rings, though she was never allowed to joust in an actual tourney. She was also a hunter, and a fine archer with her short recurved bow. She worshipped her father and idolized her brother Daeron, the Young Dragon. - SSM, Three Maidens in the Tower

Sound familiar? Then there's the part where she sneaked off to have an affair with a Targaryen prince, which resulted in the birth of a famous bastard. It seems like there is something of a Lyanna-Daena parallel here. Which means GRRM's describition of Daena as expert at riding at rings lends credibility to the app's claim about Lyanna being "practiced" at rings. Notice the same wording is used for Daena in TWoIaF.

CC: @Sly Wren

2 hours ago, J. Stargaryen said:

Sound familiar? Then there's the part where she sneaked off to have an affair with a Targaryen prince, which resulted in the birth of a famous bastard. It seems like there is something of a Lyanna-Daena parallel here. Which means GRRM's describition of Daena as expert at riding at rings lends credibility to the app's claim about Lyanna being "practiced" at rings. Notice the same wording is used for Daena in TWoIaF.

there is surely a parallel between daena and lyanna. their names even share some similarity. 

I always feel GRRM is indeed decribing Lyanna when he wrote about Daena. 

Laena also had similarity with Lyanna. 

6 hours ago, J. Stargaryen said:

She was good at sums too, wasn't she? 

45 minutes ago, Kienn said:

A noble girl that wanted to joust but never did does sound quite like Lyanna.

Ha. Like Daena, I'm certain Lyanna was not allowed to compete in the lists either. Hence the disguise. 

43 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

She was good at sums too, wasn't she? 

Yes?

Archived