Daenerys = Dayne + Aerys

Venus414

Sorry this is so informal, please bear with me. I only just finished the books and i have come up with a theory that has held its own amongst seasoned readers: 

I think Aerys is the one that dishonored Ashara. 

GRM uses names to describe his characters all the time.. I shouldn't have to explain that, Bc it's obvious.

Ashara turned to Stark (Lyanna the mystery knight-a female) at the tourney 

That's why all Rhaegars buddies danced with her including the Starks, Oberyn, etc- to protect her &Ned probably did fall in love but didn't get her pregnant (remember that Rhaeghar was plotting to overthrow his mad father with these men) 

If a pregnancy resulted- this baby would be fAegons age (there was a 3 year time span- she could have had two with Aerys for all we know) 

we don't know where Ashara went after that-   

Selmy hears later that Ashara had a baby girl and killed herself.  No body.... (Thats odd )

Selmy only heard things about her- except he knew that Dani looks just like Ashara only more Targaryen (purple eyes and mothers features, dads hair) 

Dani remembers the lemon trees fondly Bc Ashara took her home to Dorne for a time and had told some people she was the trueborn princess' wet nurse or something 

Explains the pact.  Dorne helped them.

Explains her name- after the Former Targ Dani that married Martell- that was loved dearly. It also spells out who she is.

Explains needing blood magic to hatch the dragons 

Pjs dragon vids explain that part better than I can 

i also believe that lyannas abduction was made up by Baelish to stop Cats marriage and it only partially worked (Bc she then married Ned- who he also destroyed with words).  The fact Lyanna was allegedly taken to Dorne is interesting.  Starfall is in Dorne... Nothing else about the place adds up.  Ned took the opportunity to see Ashara.  He told Robert not to come with! His memory of the event was so fuzzy that his men were "wraiths" and then he passed out for a couple days. He was devastated and "compromised" like a great deal of characters that end up receiving visions in the story.. So I can't really put too much faith in it! 

No one ever claimed to have seen Ned on the way home with a baby.

We only have Cat saying that he, Jon, and Wyla, were already there when she returned with Rob. 

Rhaella had a long history of still births and could have died in childbirth or during the storm for all we know. Here's Ashara with a targ looking daughter, she had to hide her.

(I can't explain everything, not even close, because there are too many holes.  If anyone has anything to add to this I'm interested) 

//slightly unrelated 

I also think Jon was born in the crypts of winterfell Bc of bale the bard and Mance is his dad - Neds memory of Lyanna on the tower was manipulated somehow (he passed out) 

but that's a post for another day.  

I'm probly wrong but that's where I'm at.  

Please don't reply to this with a non-cannon HBO info graphic.

(someone shared a Reddit post that she found on the topic, which I find amazing, pasted below) 

A+A=D

Disclaimer: I’ve posted on this topic in the past, but given the new supporting evidence in WOIAF I thought it would be fun to make a new post that included the additional evidence. I think Aerys + Ashara = Daenerys.

The Theory:

Ashara Dayne was at King’s Landing before or during the sack, and the Mad King forced himself on her during this time period. She then returned to Starfall in the early stages of pregnancy. Ashara feared for her child’s life, given its Targaryen blood and its being the offspring of the Mad King. She remained at Starfall until Ned arrived to return Dawn. Ned and Ashara then came up with a plan that would help protect both Jon Snow and Ashara’s soon-to-be born child. Ashara would fake her death and go into hiding with her child, and Ned (along with other members of House Dayne) would lie about what happened to Ashara as well as who Jon’s parents were. This allowed rumors, such as Ned conceiving Jon with Ashara and Ashara killing herself over losing her child and her brother, to spread. These lies and rumors would hide who the children’s true parents were, as well as conceal what happened to Ashara and her child.

Ashara gave birth to her child, and with the help of Doran Martell, hid her child at the Water Gardens where the child would blend in with other foster children (the Water Gardens fostered children from all across Dorne as well as the southern Free Cities, where the Valyrian Freehold features were common). Ashara named her child Daenerys. As time passed and Robert’s rule became more and more certain, Doran no longer wanted to risk housing Aerys’s child inside Dorne. He had Oberyn give Dany to Ser Willem Darry when he went to Braavos to sign the marriage pact between Viserys and Arianne. Ser Willem passed away from wasting sickness at some point afterwards, and Viserys raises Dany from this point, traveling from free city to free city. 

Evidence supporting Aerys forced himself on Ashara:

Aerys had multiple affairs and was a sexual libertine.

He loved music, dancing, and masked balls, and was exceedingly fond of young women, filling his court with fair maidens from every corner of the realm. Some say he had as many mistresses as his ancestor Aegon the Unworthy (a most unlikely assertion given all we know of that monarch). -Aerys II, TWOIAF

Aerys had a predilection for Rhaella’s lady companions.

Sadly, the marriage between Aerys II Targaryen and his sister, Rhaella, was not as happy; though she turned a blind eye to most of the king’s infidelities, the queen did not approve of his “turning my ladies into his whores.” -Aerys II, TWOIAF

Ashara was a lady companion for Elia, who the Mad King kept at King’s Landing during the sack. 

His choice would have been a young maiden not long at court, one of Elia’s companions … though compared to Ashara Dayne, the Dornish princess was a kitchen drab. -The Kingbreaker, ADWD

Martin suggests Ashara moved around during Robert’s rebellion, and wasn’t in Starfall the entire time. 

As to your speculations about Catelyn and Ashara Dayne... sigh... needless to say, All Will Be Revealed in Good Time. I will give you this much, however; Ashara Dayne was not nailed to the floor in Starfall, as some of the fans who write me seem to assume. They have horses in Dorne too, you know. And boats (though not many of their own). As a matter of fact (a tiny tidbit from SOS), she was one of Princess Elia's lady companions in King's Landing, in the first few years after Elia married Rhaegar. -SSM

Aerys would force himself on Rhaella, especially towards the end. 

They slept apart and did their best to avoid each other during the waking hours. But whenever Aerys gave a man to the flames, Queen Rhaella would have a visitor in the night. The day he burned his mace-and-dagger Hand, Jaime and Jon Darry had stood at guard outside her bedchamber whilst the king took his pleasure. “You’re hurting me,” they had heard Rhaella cry through the oaken door. “You’re hurting me.” In some queer way, that had been worse than Lord Chelsted’s screaming. -Jaime, AFFC

Evidence against Rhaella being Dany’s mother:

Rhaella was having fertility problems.

Relations between the king and queen grew even more strained when Rhaella proved unable to give Aerys any further children. Miscarriages in 263 and 264 were followed by a stillborn daughter born in 267. Prince Daeron, born in 269, survived for only half a year. Then came another stillbirth in 270, another miscarriage in 271, and Prince Aegon, born two turns premature in 272, dead in 273. -Aerys II, TWOIAF

Rhaella was somewhere around 37 to 39 years old at the time of Daenerys’s birth, making her even less fertile. 

According to the Targaryen family tree in the appendix of TWOIAF, Rhaella was born after Aerys, who was born in 244 AC. If she had Rhaegar at age 14 in 259 AC, she would be around 39 years old in 284 AC, the year Dany was born. 

Additional Random Evidence:

Barristan Selmy thinks Dany looks like Ashara.

Even after all these years, Ser Barristan could still recall Ashara’s smile, the sound of her laughter. He had only to close his eyes to see her, with her long dark hair tumbling about her shoulders and those haunting purple eyes. Daenerys has the same eyes. Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara’s daughter…  -The Kingbreaker, ADWD

The house with the red door is the Water Gardens. I list several of the clues for this in my post here.

Dany makes several comments when Quentyn shows up in Meereen that appear to be GRRM setting up irony for when he reveals this.

Dany unrolled the parchment and examined it again. Braavos. This was done in Braavos, while we were living in the house with the red door. Why did that make her feel so strange? -Daenerys, ADWD

Prince Quentyn looked up in alarm. “The dragons know when she is near,” Ser Barristan told him. Every child knows its mother, Dany thought. -Daenerys, ADWD

“Tell me of this other Daenerys. I know less than I should of the history of my father’s kingdom. I never had a maester growing up.” Only a brother. -Daenerys, ADWD

FAQ

Why would Ashara fear for her child’s life?

It was well-known Robert had an extreme hatred of Targaryens. He tells Ned in AGOT, “I will kill every Targaryen I can get my hands on, until they are as dead as their dragons, and then I will piss on their graves.” Ashara may have not only been worried about Robert himself having her child killed, but some other house trying to win Robert’s favor might possibly make an attempt (Aegon and Rhaenys deaths perhaps made her fear this outcome).

Why would Ned want to help Ashara?

One of Ned’s primary goals is protecting children. There are several examples of this. When he tries to talk Robert out of the assassination attempt on Dany, he says,¨Robert, I ask you, what did we rise against Aerys Targaryen for, if not to put an end to the murder of children?” It’s one of the main reasons he agrees to Varys’s plan to lie about Joffrey’s parents. ¨Ned could not let that happen again. The realm could not withstand a second mad king, another dance of blood and vengeance. He must find some way to save the children.¨It’s also why he gives Cersei the chance to flee King’s Landing with her children before going to tell Robert the truth about Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella. 

Why does Dany think her mother is Rhaella?

Dany emphasizes several times that she doesn’t remember the majority of her childhood, and that most of what she knows is based off what Viserys told her. 

¨And perhaps the dragon did remember, but Dany could not. She had never seen this land her brother said was theirs, this realm beyond the narrow sea… 

Yet sometimes Dany would picture the way it had been, so often had her brother told her the stories… 

She did not remember Dragonstone either.¨ -Daenerys I, AGOT

Viserys has lied to Dany about her childhood and true mother.

Why would Viserys lie about Dany’s parents to everyone?

Dany would be more valuable to Viserys as a legitimate Targaryen rather than a bastard. Similar to how fAegon was raised to believe he was the real actual Aegon, Viserys could do the same with Dany. Keep in mind Viserys wanted to keep the bloodlines pure, and Dany is all he has left.

She had always assumed that she would wed Viserys when she came of age. For centuries the Targaryens had married brother to sister, since Aegon the Conqueror had taken his sisters to bride. The line must be kept pure, Viserys had told her a thousand times; theirs was the kingsblood, the golden blood of old Valyria, the blood of the dragon. Dragons did not mate with the beasts of the field, and Targaryens did not mingle their blood with that of lesser men. Yet now Viserys schemed to sell her to a stranger, a barbarian. -Daenerys I, AGOT

If Viserys ever became king, he probably would want everyone to believe his wife and children were full-blooded Targaryen. Dany not being legitimate would get in the way of that. Not to mention, Dany would be far more valuable as a legitimate Targaryen if he were to use her marriage as a bargaining chip to form an alliance with someone, like when he ¨sold¨ her to Khal Drogo.

Why does Viserys blame Dany for Rhaella’s death?

Viserys is being irrational, similar to how he blames Dany for the entire war.

“Viserys said once that it was my fault, for being born too late.” She had denied it hotly, she remembered, going so far as to tell Viserys that it was his fault for not being born a girl. He beat her cruelly for that insolence. “If I had been born more timely, he said, Rhaegar would have married me instead of Elia, and it would all have come out different. If Rhaegar had been happy in his wife, he would not have needed the Stark girl.” -Daenerys, ASOS

Also, Viserys blames Dany for the loss of Rhaella's crown. The crown was the last piece of Rhaella that remained in his life.

¨Dany waited for his words to be translated. “My crown is not for sale.” When Viserys sold their mother’s crown, the last joy had gone from him, leaving only rage.¨ ¨I took care of you. I taught you who you were. I fed you. I sold our mother’s crown to keep you fed.¨ -Daenerys X, ADWD

How do you explain Rhaella’s death?

The only information about Rhaella's death comes from Dany's account of her past. Dany says the following:

¨My mother died giving me birth, and my father and my brother Rhaegar even before that. I would never have known so much as their names if Viserys had not been there to tell me. He was the only one left. The only one.¨ - Daenerys, AGOT

¨They said that storm was terrible. The Targaryen fleet was smashed while it lay at anchor, and huge stone blocks were ripped from the parapets and sent hurtling into the wild waters of the narrow sea. Her mother had died birthing her, and for that her brother Viserys had never forgiven her. She did not remember Dragonstone either. They had run again, just before the Usurper’s brother set sail with his new-built fleet. By then only Dragonstone itself, the ancient seat of their House, had remained of the Seven Kingdoms that had once been theirs. It would not remain for long. The garrison had been prepared to sell them to the Usurper, but one night Ser Willem Darry and four loyal men had broken into the nursery and stolen them both, along with her wet nurse, and set sail under cover of darkness for the safety of the Braavosian coast.¨ - Daenerys I, AGOT

Dany mentions the garrison switched sides and imprisoned them. It's possible they killed Rhaella in an attempt to win Robert’s favor, or perhaps Rhaella died from wounds suffered during their escape.

"Ned Stark was here?"
"At the dawn of Robert's Rebellion. The Mad King had sent to the Eyrie for Stark's head, but Jon Arryn sent him back defiance. Gulltown stayed loyal to the throne, though. To get home and call his banners, Stark had to cross the mountains to the Fingers and find a fisherman to carry him across the Bite. A storm caught them on the way. The fisherman drowned, but his daughter got Stark to the Sisters before the boat went down. They say he left her with a bag of silver and a bastard in her belly. Jon Snow, she named him, after Arryn-

why did he send for Edd head if he wasnt even there anyways? 

I like this theory a lot. The fact that a lot of Dany's childhood memories doesn't add up to what we have been told about her upbringing is interesting. The more popular answer to this seems to be R+L=D, but I find it far more likely that it is Aerys+Ashara=Daenerys. Ashara's role in the story is still a mystery, and what we have been told about her so far is mostly based on rumours and speculations from different characters. Rumors about dishonor, childbirth and her death. One of the things we do know about her tough, is that she had the same eyes as Daenerys.

I also find this theory interesting because of all the parallels and connections Grrm have drawn between Jon and Daenerys. If R+L=J is true (which I defintely think it is), and Rhaegar and Lyanna got married, then Jon would be a prince and the "true" heir to the throne. Jon grew up thinking, a long with people around him, that he was a bastard. Grrm have also presented this lie to the readers.

Now, if Dany is the daughter of Aerys and Ashara, then this would make her a bastard. As opposed to Jon, Grrm have presented Daenerys as as legitimate princess and queen and a heir to the throne. Daenerys herself believes this because that's how she was raised, and that's what people around her told her. So, what I'm trying to say here is that Grrm have presented the narrative so that we and the people of Westeros believes she is a legitimate Targaryan princess/queen, just like we(minus us internet users) and the people of Westeros believes Jon is a illegitimate bastard. The eventual revelation about Jon's parentage and legitimacy is coming, so a simular revelation about Daenerys wouldn't be that unlikely in my opinion.

This theory is still a little crackpot, and it is also possible that Ashara's "role" in the story purely is as a red herring for Jon's parentage. But if Ashara is going to be more than a red herring, then I think A+A=D is the most likely outcome. 

Thank you!! 

I think it's more crackpot to accept everything that we have been spoon fed about Dani in spite of obvious doubts (lemon trees?) 

i feel the same way about Jon who looks and acts a lot more like a wildling than a Targ (forget that Kit Harrington plays him) he doesn't have any Targ traits or features, hair, eyes, madness, tolerance to heat, dragon dreams.. 

I only just finished the books so I'm fighting really hard against what the show implied because especially after last year I don't trust them!

I think this has traction.  It wouldn't be out of character for Aerys to pluck the hand maidens at court.  Rhaegar could be wrong about his interpretation of the prophecy and his role in it.  It could easily refer to Aerys fathering the child.  But I actually think the important bloodline is the ancient Dayne bloodline.  There is nothing to say that the Dayne's aren't dragons in their own right but far older than the Targs.  The whole business of their sigil could be interpreted as a falling star = meteorites = dragons.

I think Ashara is also Jon's mother.  There are plenty of references around Jon pointing to the star of the morning and the palestone sword to rule it out. Edric Dayne's story that Ashara and Ned were in love can't be discounted.  He is older than Dany by 9 months or thereabouts;which would make them half-siblings.

We don't know much about Lyanna at all but if she did die of fever as a result of childbirth; the babe with the correct age would be fAegon who dies his hair blue to honor his mother.  Another child with potential Targ bloodlines at the center of Varys' scheming.

The only thing I know for certain at this point; is that I don't know anything for certain.   

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

So, why was the first Daenerys named Daenerys then?

Because the author uses names as clues constantly,  this is a clue to Martells interest in the pact; they cherished the first one.  She lived in Dorne, where lemon trees are abundant.

GRM wrote long family histories for a reason.  Genetics and names.  

House Dayne is amazing and it's been suggested the those from the great empire of the Dawn taught the old Val's to control dragons in the first place.  Ancient house, Dawn, Dani looks like Ashara.. 

I feel really confident about this.

It's said that Aerys couldn't become sexually aroused unless he used violence against his intended. Doing that to the sister of one of his King's Guard, arguably the best swordsman in the Realm, is foolish, even for Aerys. And under those circumstances it's more likely that Ashara would have aborted an Aerys baby, not brought it to term. And why suicide if the doubtless unwanted child was born dead? 

2 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

It's said that Aerys couldn't become sexually aroused unless he used violence against his intended. Doing that to the sister of one of his King's Guard, arguably the best swordsman in the Realm, is foolish, even for Aerys. And under those circumstances it's more likely that Ashara would have aborted an Aerys baby, not brought it to term. And why suicide if the doubtless unwanted child was born dead? 

1.- that was only for his sister, whom he wasn't attracted to.  He was attracted to a lot of other women like Joanna Lannister

2. Aerys did all kinds of foolish stuff! (but it also might explain Arthur's presence at the tower)

3. We have no way to know Asharas stance on abortion, or how involved or influenced she could have been  -we know Asrys had Ravens quorking in his ear.

4. We have NO way of knowing whether or not the alleged suicide was a rumor to cover up that she had left, because no body was ever found, and no one "saw it"

I'm only sharing here a discussion I had in another forum on the subject

Elia was at KL being murdered along with her kids.  

It was Rhaella at Dragknstkne, and I believe Ashara was sent or went there very pregnant after the tower of joy.    Or after her boss was murdered in cold blood.

People talk about unreliable POVs, it's odd to me that no ones ever considered Neds memory to be unreliable.  His memory was so fuzzy that his friends were "wraiths" and he passed out for a few days... He must have been pretty compromised. 

When people pass out, lose conscienceless or are otherwise undead, mentally handicapped, whatever-- that's when they get "dreams" or "visions" - even theon.  

Ned would have just lost his father, brother, and the woman he loved was pregnant by another man, possibly his sister. Abd he was going to have to marry a woman he didn't know or love to honor the agreement.  Plus his friend Rhaeghar died, his stupid drunk friend was going to be king, his friends at the tower with him died, he had been fighting hard ...so yeah, I will put Neds memory of what happened in there out of your mind.

So there were a couple things that really clued me in ... 

First, Rhaella had two successful pregnancies out of like 14 the odds were very much against having a strong healthy baby.  If she had that many pregnancies, she must have been getting older too.  If she gave gave birth during a storm, she could have died.  

If Ashara showed up there alone with a very targ looking baby she could have said she's a princess, and signed a pact in Braavos in order to ensure the protection of the martells- who loved their former Danerys Targaryen dearly- name clue 

Second - Her name spells it out.  
Dayne- Aerys. Idk if I've posted it here before, but I have even found an article by GRM stating that he uses names as a clue to characters heritage- and even calls attention to certain plot points- 

Jeyne Poole - clue 
Othor- the reanimated corpse 
Alayaya - the prostitute Lol  were some of my favorites that made me laugh.  Almost every few chapters there was a character with a name that made me laugh!! "Petyr Pimple- lmfao! Must have got around... There was also a "Dick Crabbs" lol 

Anyhoo, it makes sense Ashara would take off to Dragonstone, if Elia, Rhaeghar and the King were killed.  Then, it would make sense to take her baby home to Dorne and pact with the Martells for protection, knowing King Robert might kill her.

On 8/29/2016 at 0:36 PM, Venus414 said:

Because the author uses names as clues constantly,  this is a clue to Martells interest in the pact; they cherished the first one.  She lived in Dorne, where lemon trees are abundant.

GRM wrote long family histories for a reason.  Genetics and names.  

House Dayne is amazing and it's been suggested the those from the great empire of the Dawn taught the old Val's to control dragons in the first place.  Ancient house, Dawn, Dani looks like Ashara.. 

I feel really confident about this.

The author uses names as clues occasionally, not constantly. He also uses them as names. Example: Ned Dayne has no actual connection to Ned Stark. None of the Freys with Targ names have any connection to the Targaryens. And so far as we know Hodor has no connection to House Frey. None of that means you're wrong though.

Dany doesn't look like Ashara. She has purple eyes, and Ashara had purple eyes. There's no other similarity. Ashara's hair was dark, and while she was beautiful it's never said that she was beautiful in an otherworldly way like the Targaryens were.

I agree about the lemons, just not necessarily what they indicate. There's no way a Targ-looking child was kept in Dorne for very long after Robert ascended the throne, thus Dany wouldn't remember her time there. 

The timeline and known facts work against your theory quite a bit. If you have Dany conceived during the war instead of at Harrenhal, it would be stronger. GRRM has stated that Dany is younger than Jon and he is no older than Robb is. Lyanna was in fact abducted and taken to Dorne. And Petyr Baelish didn't get to a position where he would know things or have a shot at manipulating them until after the war was long over.

Dany as a child of two Targs makes more sense for hatching the eggs than Dany as the child of a Targ and a Dayne. If Dayne blood were needed in addition to Targ blood, then Aegon V and/or his siblings should have been able to hatch dragon eggs because their mother was Dyanna Dayne. Doesn't mean Dany couldn't still hatch eggs, just that it's not the best argument you have.

Okay, so if as you say Dany is the result of Aerys+Ashara, and Jon is Mance+Lyanna, then that means Aegon is actually Rhaegar and Elia's son and the Dragon that was Promised. TDtwP has to be the result of Aerys+Rhaella's line, and Aegon is the only one left who could fit that criteria, since GRRM said that there's no doubt little Rhaenys was in fact killed. Or there is no TDtwP and Westeros is screwed.

Oh and by the way, Rhaella DID die shortly after giving birth to Dany per known facts. So you're entirely right that she could have died in childbirth. One of the things that has always connected Jon, Dany, and Tyrion is the fact that their mothers died giving birth to them. Only death can pay for life and all that.

On 28 agosto 2016 at 9:42 PM, Venus414 said:

I think Aerys is the one that dishonored Ashara.
GRM uses names to describe his characters all the time.. I shouldn't have to explain that, Bc it's obvious.

Ashara turned to Stark (Lyanna the mystery knight-a female) at the tourney 

Selmy hears later that Ashara had a baby girl and killed herself.  (Thats odd) 

Selmy only heard things about her- except he knew that Dani looks just like Ashara only more Targaryen (purple eyes and mothers features, dads hair) 

Dani remembers the lemon trees fondly Bc Ashara took her home to Dorne for a time and had told some people she was the trueborn princess' wet nurse

Explains the pact.  Dorne helped them.

Explains her name- after the Former Targ Dani that married Martell- that was loved dearly. It also spells out who she is.

This is just speculation but enjoyable and it would be so interesting as a plot twist... let's have some fun.

I am not into Daenerys as a character so I've never posted about her, but it always struck me that she is the only main character (besides Cersei) who never lost her defining quality.

Her identity is defined by her claim as Aerys' trueborn daughter.

All the main characters lost their identity in ASoIaF: Jon was a Snow who wished he was a Stark... but he became a NW brother, then a wildling and anyway he's a Targaryen; Jamie's identity had always been defined by his fighting skills and he lost them with his right, hand so he doesn't know who he is anymore; Tyrion lost his Lannister identity and all the money after killing Tywin and if the show is to be believed, he will fight against his own family and he's a sort of self-made man at this point; the Starks kids had to put their Stark identity aside (Arya kinda became no-one, Sansa is living as a Stone, etc.) and so on ... in all this, Daenerys has never lost what defines her as a character (yes, she went through a lot... but even when she was sold to the Dothraki and then in every moment of her life, she always had this carved-in-stone certainty that she is Aerys trueborn daughter and after Viserys' death, the true heir to the throne).

What if she can't lose her defining quality because she never had it? because she never was what she believes to be and what we are supposed to believe she is...and we as readers can't be told yet?!

it would be great if somebody whose idea of herself, from the start, has been defined basically by her own name only - first during her childhood because they had to run away, then all her adult life has been dedicated to find a way to take her seat back and she talks all the time about 'what is hers,' etc. - ended up being a fake.

The exact reverse would be that Aegon, who has always been fAegon (GRRM placed multiple clues to make us costantly doubt/believe he's fake, so much that he's been called fAegon by the fans since he first appeared in the books) might be the true heir...and still he will die, while the fake will sit the IT.

Or maybe fAegon is fAegon, but Jon is the true heir, (if R+L married and there was some kind annullment of Rhaegar's previous marriage, maybe because of the poor health of his wife),  so that none of them gets what they want: Daenerys wanted the throne but it's not hers.. Jon didn't want it, but it's his (fAegon will end up dead in any case, otherwise he would have been introduced in the show).

Or maybe fAegon is fAegon, but Jon and Daenerys are both bastards... then what about big empty words like 'true heir' and 'rights'? who sits on the Ithrone? History is full of people who became kings and queens with super-week claims in confused situations.

If any of this is true, it would be interesting to see how Daenerys copes: would she be able to step aside and let another claim the throne, after all her life has been dedicated to that? Would she ever learn she is a fake or would other characters make sure she doesn't know, she never knows all her life has been a lie? Would she die learn and conceil the secret herself? Would Jon ever accept the throne or he would leave it to her in any case? Could she rule, knowing she's a fake?

Again, it's pure speculation but this twist would be very interesting narratively speaking.

The only problem would be that Jon is already a boring character as he is (the reclutant hero who somehow never wants power but always gets it) and he's the character with the biggerst plot armour (of course he is going to 'resurrect' in the books too, even if I trust it will be less 'oh well, I'm alive let's have a beer' than in the show): now if he was also the trueborn son of R+L, that would make him even more unsympathetic, with good peace of the "I don't want stereotypes / I don't want the classical hero in my books" kind of affirmations. People, even people who are more clever than him, work their asses off for ages to gain power and stay alive and he is always offered it on a silver plate by other people (even more so on the show) or just gets it by chance or out of sheer luck, without doing anything to gain it... and at times even without being the most suited for the task..and he  accepts reclutantly because 'oh not wanting power means he's so noble'. I mean, meh.

Love a good Dany tin foil conspiracy!

So first it's kinda obvious but I don't think anyone mentioned that Daenerys is "Ser Dayne" rearranged.

And it sure seems like Ned Dayne was named after Ned Stark...

The first Daenerys was married to the Prince of Dorne, who built the water gardens for her (A place of happy children and citrus fruit). Also, supposedly it was Daemon's love of Daenerys that began the Blackfyre rebellion.

There are lots of relevant quotes but some of my favorites:

"Yet last night he had dreamt of Rhaegar's children. Lord Tywin had laid the bodies beneath the Iron Throne, wrapped in the crimson cloaks of his house guard. That was clever of him; the blood did not show so badly against the red cloth. The little princess had been barefoot, still dressed in her bed gown, and the boy … the boy
Ned could not let that happen again. The realm could not withstand a second mad king, another dance of blood and vengeance. He must find some way to save the children."
Then later that chapter... Ned speaks to Cersei, in the Godswood...
"Honor," she spat. "How dare you play the noble lord with me! What do you take me for? You've a bastard of your own, I've seen him. Who was the mother, I wonder? Some Dornish peasant you raped while her holdfast burned? A whore? Or was it the grieving sister, the Lady Ashara? She threw herself into the sea, I'm told. Why was that? For the brother you slew, or the child you stole? Tell me, my honorable Lord Eddard, how are you any different from Robert, or me, or Jaime?"

"For a start," said Ned, "I do not kill children. You would do well to listen, my lady. I shall say this only once. When the king returns from his hunt, I intend to lay the truth before him. You must be gone by then. You and your children, all three, and not to Casterly Rock. If I were you, I should take ship for the Free Cities, or even farther, to the Summer Isles or the Port of Ibben. As far as the winds blow."

"Exile," she said. "A bitter cup to drink from."

"A sweeter cup than your father served Rhaegar's children," Ned said, "and kinder than you deserve. Your father and your brothers would do well to go with you. Lord Tywin's gold will buy you comfort and hire swords to keep you safe. You shall need them. I promise you, no matter where you flee, Robert's wrath will follow you, to the back of beyond if need be."

This chapter just screams that there is something going on we don't understand... Might it just be R+L=J, of course it might, but the repeated references to saving the children makes me doubt...

Then Eddard basically lays out what he thinks should be done with a child one wants hidden from Robert's wrath (be they the Lanniscest kids, or dragonspawn), he tells her to flee across the sea...

Finally, just want to point out the "biter cup to drink from", aka exile, as I believe it is referenced again in the House of the Undying "drink from the cup of ice"...

just throwing some stuff at the wall to see what sticks!

If you look back to Viserys account of leaving Dragonstone with his mother, it varies very much from Jaime's recollection of Rhaella leaving Dragonstone. 

Viserys recalls that it was a midnight flight in a black sailed ship from King's Landing to Dragonstone.  Jaime recalls that a hooded Rhaella left one morning in a royal wheelhouse shortly after she was raped by Aerys, and there is no mention of Viserys.

There is a bit of a discrepancy between the two accounts.  Viserys story is fairly odd, because when Rhaella left King's Landing there probably would have been no need for a midnight flight in a black sailed ship, because at the time the rebellion had no navy to speak of.  It doesn't make much sense unless of course Rahella wasn't fleeing from the rebels, but was instead fleeing from Aerys, since based on past experience he was in the habit of raping her after he burned people alive.

Which makes me wonder, who it was that Jaime saw enter the wheelhouse?  I have a crackpot notion that it could have been Ashara operating under a glamour basically act as Rhaella's whipping girl and take the rape meant for her.

It sounds ludicrous, I know, but with so many parallels and homages to the King Arthur myths, maybe not so ridiculous.  After all, King Arthur was conceived only after his father magically disguised himself as the husband of another woman, and had intercourse with her under false pretenses.  This would be an inverse of the King Arthur myth.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Dany as a child of two Targs makes more sense for hatching the eggs than Dany as the child of a Targ and a Dayne. If Dayne blood were needed in addition to Targ blood, then Aegon V and/or his siblings should have been able to hatch dragon eggs because their mother was Dyanna Dayne. Doesn't mean Dany couldn't still hatch eggs, just that it's not the best argument you have.

Actually this isn't necessarily true.  At the time of Dany's birth, House Targaryen had not been able to hatch a dragon in well over a hundred years.  They had also married with so many other families, that their bloodlines were not exactly the same bloodline as Aegon the Conqueror.  There were a number of Targaryen off shoots that split off from the "royal" Targaryen line around the time that the Targaryen apparently lost their connections with their dragons.  Baela Targaryen was a dragon rider and her progeny split from the royal Targaryens and became part of House Velaryon.  We also have the Longwaters, House Plumm, and of course House Blackfyre all of whom split off from the main Targaryen branch.  Perhaps the purple in the Daynes' eyes comes from intermarriage with some of these Targaryen offshoots.

My gut feeling is that Dany may be a descendant from a number of these disparate bloodlines that came back together when she was born.  Ironically being the daughter of Aerys and Rhaella probably would have meant that she could not have hatched her dragons if indeed this is an inheritable trait.

Does it really matter who Dany's parents are?  I mean, she hatched 3 dragons.  Even if she is only half-Targaryen, she is still greater than any other Targaryen who ever lived because she hatched three dragons from stone.  She is the Unburnt.  She is the first to ever ride a dragon in over a century.  She conquered Meereen and freed the Unsullied.  She is the most beautiful woman in the world.  Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea.  She needs no other credential to stake her claims to the Iron Throne, or to anywhere really. 

Why would Ashara grieve for the man who dishonoured her if it was Aerys?  And why would Barristan lament the fact he didn't win at the tourney else Ashara might not have looked to Stark?  That makes no sense if it was Lyanna.

This theory relies heavily on Ned passing out a lot for extended periods.

Archived