WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

Ok everyone.   The airbnb I booked has cancelled on me, as the property is no longer available.

I've done some looking arround and I have found a rather plesnet looking place that can sleep up to 16 people.  It is also very reasonably priced for small groups. at £117 per night + £26 per night after the second guest.

It has 4 bedrooms and a common spaces        

It is a little further out than I would have liked so will mean using the public transport for a short hop.   I have contacted the host to ask about the transport links.

if you are interested please let me know ASAP.    Obviously Hubby and I get Bedroom 1. (although he will be flying home on the 9th - I may be willing to change rooms after if you ask me really really nicely)   Hubby is also rather shy and scared of you all so is not too keen on sharing a place with you for many days before the Con.  It would be best if you where not panning to arrive until the 8th.  although one or two people before that is doable.      I am planning to rent the place from Sat 5th August till Tuesday 15th.   If you want more details PM me.

Update from owner:   Public transport to Conventions center is  easy by bus 15min. Br.timo

Bedroom 1 - Claimed by Mr & Mrs Pebble

1 king bed, 1 crib

Bedroom 2
3 single beds

Bedroom 3
3 single beds

Bedroom 4
1 king bed, 2 single beds, 2 floor mattresses

Common spaces
1 couch, 3 floor mattresses

If you can put me down as a tentative. I don't even know if I'm going until the job situation sorts itself out. If we get to a point where the rooms are all taken and mine is left, let someone else have it. Will try to 100% confirm ASAP.

4 bedrooms  + common areas.

Its £117  per night for the whole Place.   + £29   for every extra person (over 1)      

So I need a good estimate of how many people will be wanting to stay before I book.   and as I want to do this soonish I doubt that I'll get enough interest to half fill it.      

for those that are interested I'll add to a group PM, and when everyone is happy I'll book.

The original place that fell though I had  It was Me and Mr Pebble.   TitanCat and boyfreind.   Pod and Wert.    - Wert is now a maybe depending on if he gets a job soon.  TitanCat and boyfreind are thinking about maybe getting a place to themselves now.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my accomodation sorted now :D staying in a nice pretty place in someone's spare room about 30-40 mins outside Helsinki so navigating the buses in a foreign country is going to be very fun HAHAH but I'm looking forward to it - i like doing things myself anyway - will be booking my flights hopefully by the end of this month :D

Buses. My advice is to find out the zone you need, then you have to tap your card on the reader, hold it there, then press the zone button while it is still in place. The City of Helsinki promised free transport to Worldcon attendees, if I recall, so I'm not sure how that will work. If coming in from outside Helsinki, you might need to get a prepaid card. But the key thing is: hold the the card on the reader and press the numbered button, which would basically always be 1 if you're inside Helsinki.

It's a shame the AirBnB fell through. That said, if I were to choose a location, it would be either very close to the convention or between the convention centre and Helsinki station, bearing in mind that most of the city centre is south of that station, because that would be the best of both worlds. And that area is cheap.

Having searched just now, I see a 4-bed apartment around the sort of area that would be good to stay in. Closer to the convention than the city but that's surely the better balance.

I do not have any grasp of how long everyone intends to stay. I had no real idea myself, but I want to be there the whole of the convention and then a bit. I've been seriously behind in planning this but I realise I must go, and I am starting to think about it more now.

I invite everyone to post their general thoughts on i.) how long before/after the convention they want to be in the area; ii.) whether excursions to any other cities are of interest; iii.) whether they would like to share accommodation. Helsinki is a city I have grown used to, and I am really excited about this convention.

On 04/02/2017 at 11:00 PM, Toft said:

I do not have any grasp of how long everyone intends to stay. I had no real idea myself, but I want to be there the whole of the convention and then a bit. I've been seriously behind in planning this but I realise I must go, and I am starting to think about it more now.

I invite everyone to post their general thoughts on i.) how long before/after the convention they want to be in the area; ii.) whether excursions to any other cities are of interest; iii.) whether they would like to share accommodation. Helsinki is a city I have grown used to, and I am really excited about this convention.

I haven't really finalised what I'll be doing. It's got a bit more complicated than I was expecting a few months ago since I've been invited to a family wedding that happens to be on the first day of Worldcon, which is unfortunate timing. Currently my thinking is that I'll probably fly out some time on the Thursday, at least I should be able to catch the majority of Worldcon. I'll probably hang around for a few days afterwards, since I've never been to Helsinki before so might as well do some sightseeing while I'm there. I think this probably puts me out of sync with most other people, I think if people are spending extra time in Helsinki it seems to be more often before Worldcon than after (which had been my original plan).

It does look like being there the weekend before would be more interesting than staying for a few days into the next week.

A day trip to Tallinn is possible by ferry - I think it costs about €22 from memory. There is easily enough time to see the main parts of the town and have a meal of some sort. But it really does have to be a full day, so it's not really suitable to be done on a convention day.

I've just booked my flights so will be there 8th - 13th. Now I just have to find somewhere to stay on the night of the 8th (my hotel for the other nights is full...)

10 hours ago, Toft said:

A day trip to Tallinn is possible by ferry - I think it costs about €22 from memory. There is easily enough time to see the main parts of the town and have a meal of some sort. But it really does have to be a full day, so it's not really suitable to be done on a convention day.

Depends on the programming - in LonCon I found that there was one day where there wasn't anything I particularly wanted to see that day, so used it to go sightseeing. Of course, that was balanced by other days where I'd have needed to split myself into multiple peeps in order to see everything I wanted. :P

I'm in Helsinki Aug 10-14, booked at Sokos Torni in city center.  I'm in Russia Aug 4-10th (Moscow for 3 nights, St Petersburg for 3 nights).

Whole trip is on life support though, having issues with grandparents watching the kids... :(

On 5.2.2017 at 0:31 AM, Toft said:

Buses. My advice is to find out the zone you need, then you have to tap your card on the reader, hold it there, then press the zone button while it is still in place. The City of Helsinki promised free transport to Worldcon attendees, if I recall, so I'm not sure how that will work.

When you come to register, you will receive the card with your badge and other stuff. So if you arrive earlier, you need to get another card for travelling the city before the con.

For a Tallinn trip, yes, it will take a whole day so better to do it before or after the con! The ferries are really cheap - just check how long they will take to cross, there are some slower cruise ferries, too.

Heya :-) Thought I'd better sign in to 'the Board' (instead of just lurking around Facebook) and nail my colours to the mast.

I'm all booked.

Got my membership. Flights get me in on the 7th and leave on the 14th. Staying in a self-catered family room down near the zoo (it's on an island! The zoo, not where I'm staying).

Can't wait to see my bwb buddies. It's been toooooo long AND I've always wanted to go to Finland so YAY!!

Archived