WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

4 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Since I'm the slowest of the Slow, I am looking into getting a membership soon, but have no idea where to stay. Someone mentioned BWB-houses and Facebook groups oh my and this sounds great, but I see nothing on FB so if some kind soul could message me the details later I would be forever happy :D and tyvm etc.

As far as I know I think all the BWB people who have booked somewhere to share don't have any spaces left, although there's probably still several of us who haven't booked anything yet.

23 hours ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

I think there is chatter on facebook in the Helsinki group about a third house on airbnb being hired. Not sure whether it's going ahead or not.

If that's the Facebook group Lada set up, I think she just added people she knew from the ASOIAF Facebook group or from Titancon since she's not involved much with the board, so @Lyanna Stark probably can't see it at the moment (although we could add her if she's interested).

It might be worth asking on the general Brotherhood Without Banners Facebook group as well, although I'm not sure there's been much accommodation discussion there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've finally booked the flights and accommodation. As I said earlier in the thread, I'm going to have the miss the start of the con so I'm flying in on the Thursday evening from Scotland (with BA which seemed like a reasonable idea when I booked it a few days before their IT meltdown :rolleyes:). I'll be staying at the Cumulus hotel in Kallio which seems to be about halfway between the city centre and the convention centre. I'm staying on for a little while after the cone to do some sightseeing before flying back to Gatwick with Norwegian.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

Which begs a question - how easy is the airport to access from Helsinki? Is it train, coach, bus?

It seems fairly close. I think it's meant to be about a half hour train ride between the airport and Helsinki city centre. Presumably there are buses as well.

23 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It seems fairly close. I think it's meant to be about a half hour train ride between the airport and Helsinki city centre. Presumably there are buses as well.

I dread to ask this, but has anyone taken a look at the price of stuff in Finland versus the UK? I'm trying to work out how much spending money I need to bring (just for stuff like food, transports and day-to-day costs).

Just now, Werthead said:

I dread to ask this, but has anyone taken a look at the price of stuff in Finland versus the UK? I'm trying to work out how much spending money I need to bring (just for stuff like food, transports and day-to-day costs).

My brief visit a few years ago, I found restaurants VERY expensive. But I've heard that supermarkets are more reasonable?

41 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I seem to remember there was some mention that WorldCon were going to be handing out free travel passes for getting around the city (although you presumably you have to get to the Con first before picking that up)?

On 6/12/2017 at 3:06 PM, williamjm said:

I seem to remember there was some mention that WorldCon were going to be handing out free travel passes for getting around the city (although you presumably you have to get to the Con first before picking that up)?

Yes, that is my understanding as well. There's an excursion they're putting together and they're trying to figure out how to get people their travel passes before that even, because the plan was to have people pick them up with their membership badges.

We are arriving in Helsinki at 2:50 pm local time on Tuesday, staying at Citykoti Downtown Apartments, maybe the Punavuori area? (There's a big market we plan to visit in the mornings and it's not too far from there.)

We fly from Helsinki to Amsterdam on Monday August 14 at 10: 40 am (and then from Paris a week later back to the US), so we have some time Sunday night to socialize with anyone still about. Will there be a planned BWB gathering somewhere at Worldcon? I'm on a few panels, so if nothing else, people can track me down that way if I can't find you!

On 6/12/2017 at 10:29 PM, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

Which begs a question - how easy is the airport to access from Helsinki? Is it train, coach, bus?

There is both a train and a bus connection from the city center. Train will take about 40 minutes and the bus 50 minutes. There is also more expensive but faster Finnair bus that doesn't accept HSL cards. Reittiopas.fi  will help you plan, naturally there is also an app for mobiles, ReittiGPS. 

About prices, when I think of Loncon 3 in 2014, yes restaurants were cheaper, but otherwise I felt that London was quite expensive! At that point the £ was probably stronger than it is now though. I asked a Finnish friend who is now living in UK what she thinks and she said that she has a feeling that food is in general cheaper in UK. Alcohol is cheaper in UK, as we have strict laws about alcohol and where you can buy it. Hope this helps! If you send a grocery list of stuff you think you'll need, I can check the prices?

1 hour ago, Sini said:

There is both a train and a bus connection from the city center. Train will take about 40 minutes and the bus 50 minutes. There is also more expensive but faster Finnair bus that doesn't accept HSL cards. Reittiopas.fi  will help you plan, naturally there is also an app for mobiles, ReittiGPS. 

[snip] 

Alcohol is cheaper in UK, as we have strict laws about alcohol and where you can buy it.

Thanks, that sounds easily doable, especially for a noon flight.

Editing to ask: I am arriving into Helsinki by train from St Petersburg. All my train ticket says is 'Helsinki', so I'm assuming there is but one train station, unlike St. P. where there appears to be half a frigging dozen. If so, what is the easiest way to get to Hotel Ava from said train station. I'm sure taxi would be easiest, but also most expensive, so with a suitcase, is metro feasible?

And aye - we discovered about the alcohol the hard way at Archipelacon, finding that no, the supermarkets don't sell the liqueur we wanted, and no, that liqueur store doesn't open on a weekend. lol

And aye - we discovered about the alcohol the hard way at Archipelacon, finding that no, the supermarkets don't sell the liqueur we wanted, and no, that liqueur store doesn't open on a weekend. lol

Wait, what happened to our unlikely plan to smuggle an industrial quantity of spirits across the Finnish border in the dead of night*?

* Which would be curiously ineffective in Finland in early August, but still, it's tradition.

17 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I suppose everyone who has a checked luggage allowance could bring a bottle or two in their suitcase?

This is a good idea. I don't drink, but might be able to squeeze in a bottle if somebody reminds me closer to the time...

Archived