WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

I may need accommodation - unsure what the status is with previously-mentioned places on the thread. To avoid confusing everyone, if anyone has anything going then please PM me with a link to the place you're staying at! Thanks.

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Is this part of the Con? Do you have a link? I'd sign up for that!

It is part of the Con - they're offering it in Progress Report 5. Let me go find the deets.

.....some time later.....

Wednesday morning, before the opening ceremony - another chance to visit suomenlinna

The historic sea fortress Suomenlinna (Finnish for "Finnish fort") originally called Sveaborg (Swedish for "Swedish fort"), is one of the UNESCO World Heritage sites in Finland. The edifice inspired the young George RR Martin to try his hand at writing historical fiction. We are arranging a private guided tour of the fortress on the morning of Wednesday August 9th. You will have plenty of time to return to Helsinki, register at the Con and witness the opening ceremony. The tour will cost about 11euros, not including the ferry charges to and from the island.

Please email [email protected] to reserve a place.

It is possible to arrange the tour in several languages, if enough people are insterested. Include your language preferences in the email. At the time of writing, available languages are: Finnish, Swedish, English, German, French, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Norwegian, Estonian, Polish and Czech.

If you would like to attend the tour on another day, please let us know. If enough people are interested we will arrange tours as needed.

1 hour ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

It is part of the Con - they're offering it in Progress Report 5. Let me go find the deets.

.....some time later.....

Wednesday morning, before the opening ceremony - another chance to visit suomenlinna

The historic sea fortress Suomenlinna (Finnish for "Finnish fort") originally called Sveaborg (Swedish for "Swedish fort"), is one of the UNESCO World Heritage sites in Finland. The edifice inspired the young George RR Martin to try his hand at writing historical fiction. We are arranging a private guided tour of the fortress on the morning of Wednesday August 9th. You will have plenty of time to return to Helsinki, register at the Con and witness the opening ceremony. The tour will cost about 11euros, not including the ferry charges to and from the island.

Please email [email protected] to reserve a place.

It is possible to arrange the tour in several languages, if enough people are insterested. Include your language preferences in the email. At the time of writing, available languages are: Finnish, Swedish, English, German, French, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Norwegian, Estonian, Polish and Czech.

If you would like to attend the tour on another day, please let us know. If enough people are interested we will arrange tours as needed.

That is what I get for not reading the progress reports and stuff. It definitely sounds interesting, if more people from here sign up, I would be happy to join. :)

Suomenlinna is indeed nice and worth visiting. I would advice not going during a weekend, if the weather is nice - because everyone else also has the same idea and the ferries can be packed and you may have to wait quite long time.  

The programme will be out really soon - and it is worth the wait, I can promise you... 

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I signed up for the tour. :)

So according to one of these reports, I am the only one from my country attending. :P

1 hour ago, Little Miss Sunshine said:

Just sent an email to ask for a place in that fortress tour for me and All Men Must Rhyme :)

Have sent my email in as well!

On 07/03/2017 at 8:08 AM, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

I'm guessing you missed my earlier message, so I'll post it again:

Also, @Adz of CCAA - Phil mentioned that you were perhaps looking for accommodation, and a bed has come available in my apartment as Phil can't come anymore. I've got it booked from Tues 8th August to Monday 14th; it is 172Euros (payable in Helsinki) for the stay. It's at Hotel Ava and we are in the 3 bedroom apartment: which you can have a looksie at here

The kitchenette in it looks very basic; it should be good enough for breakfast stuff, but other meals it does like we'll be eating out.

If you've got accom sorted out, then don't worry, I just didn't want you to miss out because you simply missed my post.

Sorry for not seeing this sooner.

So glad we managed to sort it out elsewhere. :)

Archived