WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Having survived a minor* scare when I couldn't find my passport for 24 hours and thought I was going to have to reschedule, I'll be there on Tuesday, leaving Sunday afternoon.

Ack thanks for the reminder! I'm leaving tomorrow and was positive I had everything out except I had completely forgotten about my passport until this!

As for meetups, until something official is announced might I suggest we unofficially arrange something before or after GRRM's panel on Wednesday? I think it's from 4 - 5:30 pm. I imagine a few of us are planning to attend this?

As for those who won't be here until Thursday perhaps meeting up prior to Ran and Linda's panel in the evening?

Assuming of course none of these panel times get changed.

I've had a health thing come up. The timing is quite, quite remarkably amazing. It being a month later or (hopefully) a few months earlier and I'd be over it and it would be fine, but it's come up exactly in the run-up to WorldCon.

My plan now is to give it until Sunday or so and make a final decision then or Monday morning (I'm scheduled to get on the coach to the airport 1am Tuesday). I've been looking forwards to this for three years and have been making really cool plans, so having to miss it would be enraging, but unfortunately it's not a health thing I can ignore.

On 7/19/2017 at 4:56 PM, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

Thanks, guys. Pod, this was helpful. Skyscanner via GoToGate pulled up some KLM times that weren't showing up on my other searches. I was then able to just buy those flights on the KLM website.

Glad you sorted something out.  Even if the airlines weren't kind!

Otherwise...to catch up with everything else...

I wouldn't rule out Tallinn.  But I presume I can make up my mind when I am there?  Its just a ferry ride across?

Happy to join quiz too.  But I imagine that my performance in Dublin a couple months ago will be better than my knowledge of aSoIaF by now! :)  Although, this is a book quiz rather than a book/TV quiz? 

Regarding meet ups.  I'm assuming the convention centre will have free wifi, so i'd keep an eye on what is posted here.  Most people (i'm assuming) are members of the BwB facebook group?  I'm not sure who moderates that but probably wise to join that also, if possible.

Otherwise, you can be guaranteed there will be some BwB people at a GRRM, Ran/Linda, Peadar panel.  So organise around those too.  I've never being at a con where it was difficult to find people for long.

And good luck Wert!  Hope it works out.  That is terrible timing.

3 hours ago, Padraig said:

Regarding meet ups.  I'm assuming the convention centre will have free wifi, so i'd keep an eye on what is posted here.  Most people (i'm assuming) are members of the BwB facebook group?  I'm not sure who moderates that but probably wise to join that also, if possible.

While keeping track of the board is a good idea, given that the show will still be on it might be difficult to organise things if the board keeps on falling over. The BWB facebook group might be more useful, although I know some people don't have a Facebook account.

22 hours ago, Toft said:

Well, we should surely at least organise a proper 'official' meet-up of some sort, even if it is a pub gathering.

This is the pub the 'second Thursday' Helsinki SF meet-up uses, which is definitely my favourite pub in Helsinki: http://www.urhospub.fi/?lang=en

I wonder if some kind soul can collate the dates we're all in the city...

I think it would have to be either the Friday or Saturday if we wanted everybody to be able to make it.

On 8/1/2017 at 4:04 PM, Little Miss Sunshine said:

And I hope I'm better at this quiz than at the one we took part in while AMMR and I were in Dublin ;)

a-ha! .) well at least now you know the topic in advance, right? haha

On 8/2/2017 at 8:17 PM, Padraig said:

Happy to join quiz too.  But I imagine that my performance in Dublin a couple months ago will be better than my knowledge of aSoIaF by now! :)  Although, this is a book quiz rather than a book/TV quiz? 

it's a book only quiz. i did consider adding some show questions but then i decided that no, i don't need that kind of negativity in my life .))

All right people. I'm feeling a little more organised today. So I've copied and moved the attendance list (thanks, Flip, for compiling that) to the first post in this thread for easier reference. If you all tell me the days you'll be there I'll edit those into the list, if you like. Also, post any corrections or changes.

(It occurs to me that shared rides from the airport might be arranged using arrival days, for a start.)

If people are OK about sharing where you are staying, that can be added to the OP master list as well.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

All right people. I'm feeling a little more organised today. So I've copied and moved the attendance list (thanks, Flip, for compiling that) to the first post in this thread for easier reference. If you all tell me the days you'll be there I'll edit those into the list, if you like. Also, post any corrections or changes.

(It occurs to me that shared rides from the airport might be arranged using arrival days, for a start.)

If people are OK about sharing where you are staying, that can be added to the OP master list as well.

AMMR, Fragile Bird and I will arrive on Monday and leave on Sunday morning. We're staying near the center, quite close to the harbour as far the Airbnb map shows :)

Arriving: Weds afternon, leaving: Tues afternoon.

Once we have a better overview of who is staying after (as opposed to the many who seem to be arriving before) the con then I am really keen to put together something for the Monday. I have plenty in mind - anything from the folk museum (if it is open that day) to trips outside of Helsinki.

Arriving Tuesday late in the evening.

Leaving Monday sometime during the day.

I'm staying with Pod, Targh, Sam, Wert  (if he can make it) and someone whose name eludes me atm, at a hotel about half an hour's walk from the convention centre.

I'll wait for Targh at the airport as he's arriving 90 min after me and I don't want to brave public transport on my own.

Archived