WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

There are a shit ton of hotels. Obviously airbnb is an option as well.   It'd be great if someone who's been to Helsinki can help narrow down the options.

Personally, I think something downtown is probably ideal, since there is a lot more bars/restaurants and stuff there.  Close to the station means getting back and forth easily, plus that's the happening area (some of the hotels are out 10+ blocks from downtown, which isn't that huge of a deal, just makes it impossible to "bump into" people). 

I'll probably book a hotel, then opt for a decent airbnb at a later date if people are into that. 

4 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

I am trying to make my reservations and they apparently don't have shoulder nights! You can only reserve on the actual days of the con, and the online system won't let you add nights.

Yeah, it looks like the con runs from the 9th - 13th, and all the hotel rates are for the 8th-13th. Just enough time to maybe get over your jet lag.

3 hours ago, Cuellar said:

Personally, I think something downtown is probably ideal, since there is a lot more bars/restaurants and stuff there.  Close to the station means getting back and forth easily, plus that's the happening area (some of the hotels are out 10+ blocks from downtown, which isn't that huge of a deal, just makes it impossible to "bump into" people).

Yeah that is what I am inclined to do.  There are some hotels that are closer but I am just not sure what those areas are like at night and the options for getting there from the convention center.  With the city center at least if public transportation has ceased operating for the night at least there should be cabs I would think.

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What time do the trams stop running?

Looking at the time table the 2 Messukeskus trams line the last stop at is just before midnight on one of the trams  and about 1:30 on the other.   (varies a little depending on day)    

I'm in for some kind of airbnb roomshare thing. I'm definitely there for the time of the con, but I'm not going to know until nearer the time about if I'm up for anything before or after, because I really need to figure out my work and holiday allowance situation.

I'm getting somewhat concerned with the hotel situation and with not being able to book shoulder nights, I'm thinking its best to book up somewhere early.  I think a lot of the good airbnb's will also go rather quick.

So unless someone tells me a good reason to wait, I think I will look to book something this weekend.

I plan on booking from Sat 5th August check out Tuesday 15th.   - I'll book something I happy to pay the whole thing and for it to just be me there, since this may be too early for others to commit.     Hubby is coming with me, but leaving when the Con starts.  And I'm more than happy to share available space once Hubby is gone (or almost gone)   - I know Hubby don't really want to share with strangers he's not met.  

This does mean I'm unlikely to be able to join a big group of you, but it looks like there won't be anywhere for a big group anyway.  

On 30/08/2016 at 4:21 PM, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

I had planned to go to Talinn and/or Riga as well. Probably do need to decide which, as that could affect which way I go, as I hadn't thought of flying direct into Talinn and then going to Russia from there. Or vice versa, do Russia, rock into Talinn and then get the ferry into Helsinki. Pfft I dunno. lol

I was just reading the Progress Report and noticed they mentioned this which sounded like a potentially interesting option, although I don't know if you were planning to spend more than a couple of days in Russia:

The St. Peter Line runs a daily ferry from St. Petersburg to Helsinki.  Departure  in  the  evening,  arrival  in  Helsinki  the  next morning.

The  company  also  offers  a  visa-free  option  for  visiting  St. Petersburg  from  Helsinki.  If  you  do  a  round-trip  by  ferry,  you can bypass the visa requirement for Russia and stay for a maximum of 72 hours.

(according to their website it's also possible to do Talinn-St Petersburg-Helsinki).

I'd planned to spend a week there perhaps, if only to make the rigmarole of applying for a visa worth it, but having read the Progress Report and seeing the info about visa free entry I'm considering just going into St Petersburg and spending 3 days there. I'll have to weigh it up, as I would like to see Moscow as well, but that will mean I have to get a visa.

I wasn't remotely thinking about getting a visa, although I would like to visit St. Petersburg some time. That's quite tempting. I also have to keep reminding myself with the new job that I now have "disposable income" so I can do stuff like this. It's still an adjustment :)

I'd be interested in any group accomodation options. The normal hotel prices aren't unaffordable, but they are on the steep side of things.

Me and my boyfriend (AllMenMustRhyme) will be there. We want to stay close to other BwBers, so wether we book a hotel room or find people to share an Airbnb place with is up to all of you, I guess ^_^ can't wait!!!! It will be great to see you all again (after Worldcon London 2014) or, in some cases, meet you for the first time!

I have now booked an AirBnB.

Sat 5th August - Tuesday 15th.

My Husband is planning on coming with me from the 5th and to go home on the 9th.   He will confrim this.

Husband says sharing the house with people he doesn't know is rather out of his comfort zone, so we would prefer anyone wanting to share our airbnb to not arrive until the 8th (day before the con).   Obviously if Husband doesn't come then I'm happy for you to be here from the 5th,

It says its a 3 bedroom property with 4 beds and can sleep 8.    I think Bedroom 3 is the lounge / sitting room and has a double bed in it and a sofa bed.   Bit hard to tell from the photos.

I will be in one of the bedrooms.  (with Hubby to start with)

TitanCat and ManCat have first refusal on the 2nd Bedroom.

Wert has now claimed the 3rd Bedroom / Living room.

The Sofa Bed is available for those that want to claim.  You might be sharing a room with Wert if you claim it.  (obviously I may refuse to share with you.....)  If you are interested I'll PM you a link.

According to google its a 45 min walk to the con.   or a 2 min to the tram, then a 11 min journey, with trams every 20 mins.

Its £136 per night / however many people stay each night.

All beds now claimed.

On 8/30/2016 at 11:42 PM, Cuellar said:

There's some not-serious discussion on facebook to rent out an airbnb boat thing... which I'd consider doing if people were up for it. Also some badass houses available a good 30 minutes out of town.  Not sure if it'd be worth it since I'm only in Helsinki 4 days...

What do you mean not serious?  If the con is near the waterfront I'm super serious about con and drinking w a potential side of piracy 

Archived