WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

Definitely gonna be there. Got my membership, and plan on air bnb-ing the whole thing, found a really nice suitable place, haven't booked it yet though but hopefully will in the next few months. then just need to sort of flights and  'spending money' and im laughing. can't wait though :):) gonna be fab. 

On 9/4/2016 at 10:46 PM, mcbigski said:

What do you mean not serious?  If the con is near the waterfront I'm super serious about con and drinking w a potential side of piracy 

Seemed a little dumpy with shared bathrooms, haha. Although I guess you can just go off the side of the boat.  If we do the booze cruise, will cancel my hotel!

I'm leaning towards just booking Sokos Torni, near all the bars/restaurants, or Sokos Vaakuna right by the train station.  Sokos Pasilla is really damn far from town, so will skip that. 

Hi! I am happy to see so many of you planning to attend. I will pop in here at times so if you have questions I try to answer them.

The hotels near railway station can be reached with all the trains coming from Pasila to downtown and vice versa, so those should be a fast connection to Messukeskus. Sokos hotel Pasila on the other hand is the one you can walk to at anytime of the day or night. Helsinki is quite safe even at night, so if you don't do stupid stuff you should be ok. 

Trams do not run between 2am and 5am. They are quite frequent even at night, I think 15 min max in between.

Haven't booked flights yet but My current plans are:

Aug 1st - fly from Manchester to Moscow.

Aug 4th - train from Moscow to St Petersburg

Aug 8th - train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

Aug 14th - fly from Helsinki to Manchester

I'm still umming about a day trip to Tallinn but that is doable from Helsinki so I'll wait until the schedule comes out next year and see if there is a likely day I can do it. If not, no sweat.

My Russia plans are flexible beyond arriving in Moscow on the 1st and leaving St Petersburg on the 8th, but the more the merrier, so if people want to join me :)

On 9/18/2016 at 6:36 AM, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

Haven't booked flights yet but My current plans are:

Aug 1st - fly from Manchester to Moscow.

Aug 4th - train from Moscow to St Petersburg

Aug 8th - train from St Petersburg to Helsinki

Aug 14th - fly from Helsinki to Manchester

I'm still umming about a day trip to Tallinn but that is doable from Helsinki so I'll wait until the schedule comes out next year and see if there is a likely day I can do it. If not, no sweat.

My Russia plans are flexible beyond arriving in Moscow on the 1st and leaving St Petersburg on the 8th, but the more the merrier, so if people want to join me :)

I'm following the same plan.  Leave LAX on Aug 3rd, arrive in Moscow on Aug 4th, train to St Petersburg on Aug 7th, train to Helsinki on the Aug 10th, and fly home to LAX Aug 14th @ 6 AM (yuck).   Probably will book my hotels in the next 2 weeks. 

With all due respect to the organisers, the hotel situation is a bit speeecial here...

I've booked the Scandic Hotel at the city centre with free cancelation just to make sure I have something, as a lot of the con hotels seem to be full already.

However, if any more people are up for getting an airbnb or something, I'd be in. (Never done that before and don't know what to be careful about, so yeah I'm chickening out of organising it myself. Sorry :( ). In that case, I'd need 2 beds for me and the boyfriend thing.

I got a bonus amount of ad money on the blog this month, so my plan is to use that to buy my membership at the end of the month.

My plans are open at the moment, but someone told me that there is a Depeche Mode-themed bar in Tallinn, which I'm keen on checking out at some point :D

Another idea that was floated was doing an alcohol run in from Russia or Estonia to Helsinki, on the grounds that the standard amount of alcohol needed to keep the BwB happy would bankrupt everyone if we got it in Finland. How practical or doable (or legal) that is I have no idea.

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

My plans are open at the moment, but someone told me that there is a Depeche Mode-themed bar in Tallinn, which I'm keen on checking out at some point :D

Another idea that was floated was doing an alcohol run in from Russia or Estonia to Helsinki, on the grounds that the standard amount of alcohol needed to keep the BwB happy would bankrupt everyone if we got it in Finland. How practical or doable (or legal) that is I have no idea.

Yay Depeche Mode!

I think as with most border crossing, there is a limit on how much you can bring without being subject to taxes, but we could for sure supplement our stock with as many people's worth as we can. :)

13 hours ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

Well I can certainly bring some in with me from Russia, but obviously I'm not going to be able to bring an entire BWBs worth of supplies with me all on my jolly lonesome.

That would be impressive :) We'll have to come up with some plan, maybe send a full drink reclamation team out. I'm sure we'll come up with some scheme, hopefully one that doesn't cause an international incident.

18 hours ago, Cuellar said:

How much booze can you bring in?

Happy to grab some and take on the train with me...

Taken from http://www.tulli.fi/en/persons/travel_relocation/alcohol/index.jsp

Outside of EU:

You can only import a restricted amount of alcoholic beverages for personal use or as a gift:

4 litres of still wine (red, white and rosé) AND
16 litres of beer (over 0,5 %)

In addition:
1 litre of strong alcoholic beverages (over 22 %) OR
2 litres of alcoholic beverages (max 22 %), for example aperitifs (such as vermouth, bitter, liqueur, sherry, long drinks, cider and sparkling wine)

Alcohol legislation

Age limits
  • In Finland, only persons aged 20 or over are allowed to have strong alcoholic beverages (over 22 %) in their possession and transport them.
  • The age limit for possessing and transporting milder alcoholic beverages (max 22 %, such as vermouths, bitters, sherries, long drinks, cider and sparkling wines, red, white and rosé wines as well as beer) is 18 years of age.
  • Persons under 18 years of age are not allowed to import or possess tobacco products.
What are considered alcoholic beverages and spirits?

Finnish alcohol legislation defines an alcoholic beverage as a beverage intended to be consumed and containing more than 2.8 per cent by volume of ethyl alcohol.

Beverages containing 1.2–2.8 per cent by volume of ethyl alcohol, however, may not be possessed or transported by a person under 18 years of age.

Spirits are alcoholic, undenatured substances containing more than 80 per cent by volume of ethyl alcohol, irrespective of use, packaging and markings. A private person is not allowed to import spirits or alcoholic powder.

Within the EU:

You can import alcoholic beverages for private use or as a gift if you import the products using the same vehicle you are using to get to Finland. The new guidelines are:

110 litres of beer (0ver 0,5 %)
10 litres of other alcoholic beverages (over 1.2 %, ethyl alcohol e.g. spirits, long drinks made from ethyl alcohol)
20 litres of intermediate products (maximum alcohol content 22 %, such as aperitifs e.g. vermouths, bitters, sherry)
90 litres of wine, of which a maximum of 60 litres sparkling (includes long drinks and ciders produced by fermentation)
Cider and long drinks are not equated with beer. The guideline limits and the types of alcohol they include cannot be replaced interchangeably.

Passengers can import more alcohol for private use, but, if requested, must be able to present credible proof that the portion of alcohol exceeding guideline limits is meant for private use.

So to be honest, the easiest and cheapest way to supply might be to ferry it over to Tallinn and make a day trip of the booze cruise.

I assume since I'm coming via Russia, it doesn't count as part of the EU for alcohol importation purposes?  (or I can bring something from the US, but I don't really want to cart it around Russia).

Will bring at least a bottle or two of vodka from Russia, but that probably won't even cover my drinking, let along the BwB's. 

Archived