WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

4 hours ago, Little Miss Sunshine said:

Can someone make a list of all the BWBers going to the tour? Would be nice to have a nice tally for posterity :) 

:D

We have:

Suomenlinna Tour (Wed)

SamanthaofHodorsfield
Buckwheat
Little Miss Sunshine
All Men Must Rhyme
Fragile Bird
Adz of CCAA
Peadar
Pebble + Mr Pebble
Padraig/Pod
Johan Sporre (via twitter)

Theda Baratheon (maybe)

Thanks for the information Samantha. That's too early for me that day because of my schedule. I'd be interested in going later that day or Thursday or Friday if anyone else is interested. I think it's easy enough to do on our own if the con doesn't arrange another tour for a different day.

Also, this is quite specific but on the off chance anyone else is an architecture nerd...I'm planning on visiting Alvar Aalto's house and studio at some point that week. Your have to book the tours in advance as they only do small guided tours. If anyone else is interested in going with me, let me know.

7 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Thanks for the information Samantha. That's too early for me that day because of my schedule. I'd be interested in going later that day or Thursday or Friday if anyone else is interested. I think it's easy enough to do on our own if the con doesn't arrange another tour for a different day.

Also, this is quite specific but on the off chance anyone else is an architecture nerd...I'm planning on visiting Alvar Aalto's house and studio at some point that week. Your have to book the tours in advance as they only do small guided tours. If anyone else is interested in going with me, let me know.

I would be interested!

My best friend's daughter-in-law is an architect and has promised to send me a list of buildings to look at. She told me to make sure I didn't miss the Rock Church, which I had already come across in my research.

@Fragile Bird Great! I see the con schedule is now posted so let's see what day/time works best and doesn't conflict with anything else we want to do.

@Adz of CCAA looking forward to seeing you too!

Btw anyone who can't make the Wednesday morning Suomenlinna tour, I heard back from them and they might add a Friday tour if they get enough people.

Now that the schedule has come out, is there anybody interested in day-tripping it over to Tallinn? It would take an entire day, so the reccomendation is to do it before or after the Con, but I don't have that luxury, arriving on the 8th and leaving on the 14th, so, during the Con it is. :D

I don't have any firm date yet, because honestly, whichever day I pick I'll miss something, so if there is anybody else interested with a particular day they can go on, I'll go with that.

If not, I'll just be billy-no mates and go on my own. :P

18 hours ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

:D

We have:

Suomenlinna Tour (Wed)

SamanthaofHodorsfield
Buckwheat
Little Miss Sunshine
All Men Must Rhyme
Fragile Bird
Adz of CCAA
Peadar
Pebble + Mr Pebble
Padraig/Pod

Theda Baratheon (maybe)

Thanks so much, Sam :D looking forward to see you all these lovely people again and have a blast like in my two previous Cons! Dinners must happen! And I'm still hoping Targ brings the karaoke gear!

16 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I would be interested!

My best friend's daughter-in-law is an architect and has promised to send me a list of buildings to look at. She told me to make sure I didn't miss the Rock Church, which I had already come across in my research.

Oh we're visiting that, I can assure you that much ;) 

11 hours ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

Now that the schedule has come out, is there anybody interested in day-tripping it over to Tallinn? It would take an entire day, so the reccomendation is to do it before or after the Con, but I don't have that luxury, arriving on the 8th and leaving on the 14th, so, during the Con it is. :D

I don't have any firm date yet, because honestly, whichever day I pick I'll miss something, so if there is anybody else interested with a particular day they can go on, I'll go with that.

My Thursday looks ridiculously busy (SO. MANY. GOOD. PANELS!), but I'm sure they'll be plenty of time for hanging out and sight-seeing and what not :D 

On 7/17/2017 at 5:23 PM, Padraig said:

I had a look at this at work.  Surprisingly few flights to Helsinki from Athens.  Not sure why the Finns don't like Athens!  Norwegian flies once a week on a Saturday and Aegean flies twice a week on a Monday and Friday.  The cheapest option (that doesn't take forever) seems to be KLM on skyscanner.com or kayak.com.  Still 7 hours but given it isn't in the right direction, not that bad really.

And there is only 1 direct flight a week to Tallinn from Athens (Friday with Aegean).

Otherwise, i'm having a look at that tour also!

Thanks, guys. Pod, this was helpful. Skyscanner via GoToGate pulled up some KLM times that weren't showing up on my other searches. I was then able to just buy those flights on the KLM website. I mean, it was still ridiculously expensive. I could have flown from the US to Europe for the same price. But oh well, I guess the Finns and Greeks must hate each other and thus I am paying for it with my ticket price. Coming in Wednesday and leaving Sunday afternoon.

BTW, do we have a master list of all the BwB that are attending? 

21 hours ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

I'll have a look at the schedule. I really wanted to see Tallinn, so this would be pretty cool :)

36 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'll have a look at the schedule. I really wanted to see Tallinn, so this would be pretty cool :)

I'd love to go as well, since I don't know when I'd have the chance to go again. I hate like hell the idea of missing a whole day of the con, though. I missed too much of the first couple of cons I went to.

@Little Miss Sunshine You're welcome. :D Of course, now it needs updating. lol

Suomenlinna Tour (Wed)

SamanthaofHodorsfield
Buckwheat
Little Miss Sunshine
All Men Must Rhyme
Fragile Bird
Adz of CCAA
Peadar
Pebble + Mr Pebble
Padraig/Pod
Tenalpia

Theda Baratheon (maybe)
Mormont (maybe)

@Werthead and @Fragile Bird coolios. I do hate the idea of missing a day of the Con, but as you say, I'm unlikely to have a chance in the near future of going. I was going to suggest (if we went), visiting Olde Hansa restaurant which is apparently a touristy medival restaurant and a lot of fun, but looking at the menu, the prices are a tad on the expensive side.

On 19.07.2017 at 5:56 PM, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

BTW, do we have a master list of all the BwB that are attending? 

I got bored at work so I went throught the thread. Please feel free to add/remove yourself

Narcissa
Pebble
Peadar
Mormont
Werthead
Samantha
williamjm
Alytha
Luga
Malt 1 & Malt 2
TitanCat & Man Cat
Little Miss S. & All Men M.R.
Theda
Wolfgang
Tenalpia
Fillippa
john
Buckwheat
Fragile Bird
Kissed by Fire
Toft
Cuellar
Lil Red Head
Adz
draft0
Pod
Lyanna  (???)
Ran
Linda
Targh
Johan
Jo
Caryn Stark
The_Geekling

TitanCat will be there with her Boyfriend.    ManCat   - or TitanCat's cute boyfriend  (his board name here)

Mr Pebble will be there before the con but sods off Wednesday afternoon/evening.  those arriving early may get to meet him.  (he is on the Wednesday tour thing.)

I do hate the idea of missing a day of the Con, but as you say, I'm unlikely to have a chance in the near future of going.

Going by previous con experience, I can usually handle two days of Peak Con, so with five days there (four full days and most of the fifth), I'll probably be happy skipping a day to do something else with my Krew :) 

The only problem there is if they stick excellent panels at awkward times across the various days and we end up missing something cool. Actually, I just need to sit down, read the schedule and make a plan. I've been seriously disorganised about this.

Also, first-ever con where I'm not on a panel and can just enjoy the time, which will be nice.

Archived