Daily Annoyance, The Eternal

Datepalm

Canadians - to generalize proper GC style - cannot distinguish the two. Had a group of hikers once who seemed unable to modulate behaviour between nice, breezy 27 C and baking heatstroke 37 C. Hot is hot, eh? Dehydration and sunburns galore.

On September 7, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Arkhangel said:

Really sorry to hear about Max, Harakiri, hope it's good news from the vet.

And now I feel petty complaining about irritatingly slow wifi - but it's really irritating, damn it :P

Thanks, he was doing really well yesterday. He was back to his normal self, but today he's not doing as well. Not moving how he normally does and his left side seems a bit off. But he still has a big appetite and still is being social and vocal. So that's something at least. 

My laptop has decided to die in the most infuriating way possible. Nothing works, and then from time to time it'll work fine for ten seconds before freezing again. If it just conked out I could deal with it, but this teasing is just plain rude.

Doesn't help that I need to be applying for jobs right now. 

No matter how much I swear at it, its condition doesn't improve, so I guess the microphone is also broken.

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

My laptop has decided to die in the most infuriating way possible. Nothing works, and then from time to time it'll work fine for ten seconds before freezing again. If it just conked out I could deal with it, but this teasing is just plain rude.

Doesn't help that I need to be applying for jobs right now. 

No matter how much I swear at it, its condition doesn't improve, so I guess the microphone is also broken.

Have you tried switching it off and switching it back on again? Or maybe giving it a good whack? If they don't work then you're well and truly ducked

30 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Have you tried switching it off and switching it back on again? Or maybe giving it a good whack? If they don't work then you're well and truly ducked

Definitely tried switching it off and on, and I think the good whack is what killed it in the first place. I've worked out that the hard drive is damaged. :(

21 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Canadians - to generalize proper GC style - cannot distinguish the two. Had a group of hikers once who seemed unable to modulate behaviour between nice, breezy 27 C and baking heatstroke 37 C. Hot is hot, eh? Dehydration and sunburns galore.

Personally, anything over 15C and I am sweating buckets, but anywhere from -30C and warmer I am walking down to Tim Horton's in shorts picking up an Iced Cappuccino.

Two computer-related issues:

1. I'm already usually slightly aggravated by WIndows 10 rotating picture selection but have resigned myself to simply saying I don't like all of them to see what happens, and live with it. BUT NOW on every picture there is also a little 'fun fact' or comment, "this looks like the Alps but its really...." (Montenegro. Ethnocentric much?) but just now it asked me if I'm "on team Cap or team..." (OK I suddenly forgot who the other guy is. Bad nerd, Datepalm. Bad!) Why am I being subjected to a marketing campaign on my desktop? Are different giant brands not already intersecting through my life and person in a myriad obnoxious ways? Is there any way to turn it off that is not time consuming? How is Microsoft managing to hit quite this level of patronization and intrusiveness in so few words? Is there a person somewhere writing these comments, or is it some murky algorithm? There should be a prize, if its the former. 

2. Facebook, you are a glorified address book and news aggregator. I do not want you to remind me of my memories. I do not like those memories. If they were memories I liked, I'd remember them myself, in my own head. 

Since Sunday a week ago I've been feeling feverish, stabbing headaches, body-achey, and nauseous. Then I break out in a sweat and feel a bit better, but then the fever feelings all come back. Then on Monday night my left leg started hurting. Then it started swelling and turning red. For the rest of the week the fever symptoms kept cycling over and over fever-break/sweat-fever-break/sweat-fever and my leg kept getting worse.

Went to the doctor on Friday. I've got cellulitis. Been put on antibiotics for 2 weeks. My left leg which was all ready big to begin with is like twice its normal size. Hurts to move it, and it radiates heat like it's radioactive.

Just been a miserable time.

It would be useful if my BA would communicate with me on blockers like the acceptance criteria for stories not being approved by the business more than 6 hours before a new timebox is about to start.

deep breaths, Chal, deep breaths.

Was meant to have a telephone interview for an internship in France today. 20 minutes before it was meant to start I found that I'd received an email saying it would have to be delayed (fortunate because my bus was running late). I emailed back saying that's fine, but I'm now not sure if it will be later today or next week. So now I'm sitting nervously in a chair, waiting for a phone call that probably won't come, but obviously not wanting to go out food shopping until I know it definitely won't be today. It's been an hour and I'm getting hungry.

I bloody hate telephone interviews.

is it possible to go a bit mad after only like 5 days in doors ive had 5 days off but i had to look after my dog and hes old and i dont drive so basically for 5 days all ive done is watch tv and play oblivion and surf the internet and take him for a walk every day but still ive done nothing all this wasted time and already im feeling very weird and low and depressive i even didnt turn up to the museum today where i volunteer and i LOVE IT THERE i just felt so low im pathewtic god i hate it i sent a half hearted email like im ill but really im just a horrible lazy useless person i so wanted to leave the house and do something but i god damn cant drive im so fucking isolated here and the poor dog hes so old now i cant walk so far with him it hurts him so that limited what i could do as well im sorry first world problems big time!!!!!! i just feel so lonely 

I need a business manager or assistant or something, or maybe just a good book about running the paperwork/business side of my job.  I love meeting with customers, doing the work, but absolutely hate sending out bills, tracking down money, scheduling, and texting back and forth with customers when I should be working.  

I don't have the time to do this other stuff; I'm either exhausted when I get home or don't get enough actual work done  if I try to do it during the day.  I guess I should just charge more and do fewer jobs.  And I certainly don't have the money to actually pay someone to do this for me.

End of complaint.

5 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I need a business manager or assistant or something, or maybe just a good book about running the paperwork/business side of my job.  I love meeting with customers, doing the work, but absolutely hate sending out bills, tracking down money, scheduling, and texting back and forth with customers when I should be working. 

This seems like something that can be outsourced to the board!

I'm complaining about *another* weekend shift. That's 3 weekends in a row. Sigh. Consoling myself with the fact that the new Bon Iver album is only a week away :)

I'm taking a CBT course at a training center and the woman ahead of me is a loud and angry typer, mouser and finger drummer. And she bitches to herself about everything. I have no idea what course she is taking. We're the only people in the classroom so it's not like I can throw something at her and claim ignorance. 

Archived