Daily Annoyance, The Eternal

Datepalm

Violent storms on the west coast, but the power didn't go out so at least my worry about the food in the freezer going bad didn't come to fruition....

.... For that reason at least. Family re-arranged the contents of the freezer and blocked off the component that keeps the bloody thing frozen. Had to throw out about a hundred bucks in spoiled food. After all I wouldn't check the stupid thing if the power did not actually go out...   :bang::bang::bang:

Flaky people. If I invite you to something and you have something else on or you're not sure it's your kind of thing or you just plain don't want to go for whatever reason, that is totally 100% fine with me. I get it, I won't be offended, it's cool. What's not cool is saying yes when you have no intention of actually coming, and/or saying 'I'll let you know' and then never actually letting me know.

When I am in charge, such behaviour will codified in municipal bylaws, and people will face stiff fines and possibly civil charges for repeat offences. 

Or we reliable - or pedantic and socially over-conscious, perhaps - few will retreat to some kind of space colony and leave behind a planet that will descend into a zombie apocalypse chaos of missed appointments and text messages arriving ten minutes after the latest possible moment to make a decision. Let's see them run a society like that. 

Seriously, someone actually apologized to me for one of these things the other day and I really, really appreciated it. Not so much for any offence or annoyance, but for a certain reminder that I am not insane if I expect people to actually uphold their half of the labour of plan-making (or cancelling, for that matter). 

a) Season 4 of the Americans is not on Amazon Prime yet. Booooo

b ) we have not been able to flush the toilets in our building all weekend because of some reason which wasn't really articulated to us properly. In response to queries as to when it would be fixed, and what we were to do in the meantime, we were told: "Erm, maybe Monday." And "You will just have to stop with friends or something." Brilliant.

17 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I just threw up in my mouth.

Yes, I felt the same. WTF.

As for today, my small annoyance is that I just sat through getting mansplained by two IT-consultants holding up my computer via Remote session (BECAUSE I HAS ALL THE ADMIN RITES) going "Are you sure it is the correct config file?" (yes, yes I am, and yes, I already have it open in Notepad++, don't ask me again, and yes, I have already checked the ports listed in the config file before you even thought to ask) "Are you sure the Business Server hasn't moved?" (Moved? Like, it moved to Spain while I wasn't looking? Honestly), "Does anyone there have RDP access to it?" (You are speaking to that person, and already doing it muppetface), "This is a mystery" (No, it really isn't, cos your code has always been a huge, stinking crap heap.)

Worst thing is, they probably make some €1k more a month than I do. *sigh*

On 10/16/2016 at 2:37 PM, Lyanna Stark said:

Not so much annoyance as severe WTF, but someone on my FB friends list went to a Nickelback concert of her own free will, and enjoyed it. I feel traumatised and violated by proxy.  :(:crying:

I went to James Blunt concert of my own free will - My friends still mock me for this ( James Blunt is still ace though)

My wife was the victim of credit card fraud a few weeks ago.  No big deal, Chase noticed it early and cancelled her card.  Someone used it for Uber and food delivery in NYC.  (Wouldn't that make it really easy to catch the thief?)

Then she received a new replacement cc and within only two weeks there is cc fraud on this new card.  Someone bought stuff online at Saks and Nordstrom.  

Neither of us have experienced cc fraud in a decade and now twice in a few weeks!  It makes me wonder how anyone got the new cc details so quickly.  Chase says there's a big wave of cc fraud at the moment. 

ive always felt like an outsider, but not in a hugely overt way where i feel like people hate me and exclude me but just that all the friendship groups ive been part of, bar one, everyone seems so much more comfortable around each other, and then there’s me, feeling outside of it all. and like…i get along so well with a lot of people and im quite nice and easy to get along with and yet i just feel so distant from lots of people, like they don’t really view me as a friend as much as i view them as one…i don’t know….ive always felt odd and left out 
it’s fed into my life long believe that there is just something wrong with me, something invisible, i can’t explain, but something not quite right and people just pick up on it and don’t feel as comfortable with me or don’t like me as much…it used to hurt when people in college would hug each other in greeting and no one would hug me lmao like there’s something obviously wrong with me but everyone is too polite to tell me so i will never know what it is

11 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

ive always felt like an outsider, but not in a hugely overt way where i feel like people hate me and exclude me but just that all the friendship groups ive been part of, bar one, everyone seems so much more comfortable around each other, and then there’s me, feeling outside of it all. and like…i get along so well with a lot of people and im quite nice and easy to get along with and yet i just feel so distant from lots of people, like they don’t really view me as a friend as much as i view them as one…i don’t know….ive always felt odd and left out 
it’s fed into my life long believe that there is just something wrong with me, something invisible, i can’t explain, but something not quite right and people just pick up on it and don’t feel as comfortable with me or don’t like me as much…it used to hurt when people in college would hug each other in greeting and no one would hug me lmao like there’s something obviously wrong with me but everyone is too polite to tell me so i will never know what it is

Those that give,  get. :grouphug:  Shyness put me in the same situation. Become someone who is known to be a hugger. Some people don't like that but most do. Hug with feeling too.  Soon enough your will be known as the woman that gives great hugs. Cool 'do also.

38 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Those that give,  get. :grouphug:  Shyness put me in the same situation. Become someone who is known to be a hugger. Some people don't like that but most do. Hug with feeling too.  Soon enough your will be known as the woman that gives great hugs. Cool 'do also.

Thank you :)

On 10/13/2016 at 10:09 PM, Erik of Hazelfield said:

I bought a bunny suit for my friend's bachelor party a while back. Ever since I've been bombarded with ads for bunny suits. I mean, I guess it's nice that they sell them so cheaply and I bet the delivery is right on time and all that, but really, how many white bunny suits does a man need?

Depends what you're using them for.  I'm VERY hard on mine.....

On 21/10/2016 at 5:34 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Nothing much to say except I feel very similarly. I get on fine with most people, but there's always this feeling that I'm a friendly acquaintance that's peripheral to the friend group rather than actually a part of the friend group. I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with me, but it does sometimes make me a little sad how superficial all my connections are. Anyway, I hear where you're coming from.

Archived